Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Usfs beaver positions

Post Thanks / Like

Usfs beaver positions

This is posted again. They dicked up on the last announcement and HR caught it. Typical GOVT efficiency in motion. None the less; it's a dream job, flying cream of the crop glass panel Beavers. They are almost pilot less with Three Beavers in the fleet. I'd jump on this folks

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/436017100/

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/436018100/
    Thank a sheepdog today for they are standing guard!
    Likes Skywagon185 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Is PL still over there? I stopped in once and he showed us around the hanger and the Beavers. I was just starting out in the airlines then, didn't have a float rating. They track wolves and count moose in the winter. Yeah, dream job is right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wish I had my commercial, instrument and a few more hours. That would definitely be a dream job!

Post Thanks / Like
    If a bull frog had wings he wouldn't bump his butt across the lily pads........

Oft times government job discriptions are written for a specific person in mind. If for some reason they fail to qualify and/or someone else does, the job will be closed and position re-written. Not always but a possibility. Been on both sides of that old equation.

Jack
    Last edited by n40ff; 04-15-2016 at 06:33 AM.
    Likes WWhunter, barrow pilot liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    This is what I love.

Who May Apply

Current permanent Federal employees with competitive status, reinstatement eligibles, persons with disabilities, VEOA eligibles, VRA eligibles up to GS-11, certain military spouses, 30% or more disabled veterans, former Peace Corps or VISTA volunteers, CTAP/ICTAP eligibles, Farm Service Agency permanent county employees and those eligible for other Special Hiring Authorities

Disabled pilots? Probably ok depending on details?

It does remind me of a old friend at APG in the 70's. Major/army aviator. Shot down and wounded flying an O2 in VN, got well and served another tour. Was assigned to the Army BRL and got a flying job on the side to keep his flight pay . Local flight surgeon failed him for the same war injury so he appealed and went to Walter Reed and they failed him too. Wound(one of several) that caused failure was left arm, had like a 10% disability.

Well enough to fly combat but not a dream job stateside...........
    Last edited by n40ff; 04-15-2016 at 06:53 AM.
    Likes WWhunter liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Cappt,
    Yes PL is there, but I think he can retire not that far out

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by n40ff View Post
    If a bull frog had wings he wouldn't bump his butt across the lily pads........

Oft times government job discriptions are written for a specific person in mind. If for some reason they fail to qualify and/or someone else does, the job will be closed and position re-written. Not always but a possibility. Been on both sides of that old equation.

Jack
    All those qualifications are standard required by OPM for all agencies to hire in the GS 2181 series.

As to disabilities, that is OPM boilerplate. I can tell you from experience that "requirement" is easily and often sidestepped. Nevertheless, there are lots of disabilities which don't preclude passing a flight physical.

These would indeed be great jobs, but bear in mind these folks probably don't fly a lot of hours per year. A lot of airline types apply for these kinds of jobs thinking they'll be flying a lot, then are disgruntled because they don't fly that much and are expexcted to perform "other duties".

Do some research before applying and ask a few questions.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Take it from a man that knows, these are not the jobs they once were...........

Mike
    My superior skills continue to get me out of where my piss poor judgement took me......

Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing is. Police officer, gold miner, teacher, bus driver, construction worker, logger, farmer, big game guide, commercial pilot, restaurant owner Just about any job now is over regulated and has had some of the life squeezed out of it compared to what that job was years ago. Yep,experiencing it also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scout88305 View Post
    Nothing is. Police officer, gold miner, teacher, bus driver, construction worker, logger, farmer, big game guide, commercial pilot, restaurant owner Just about any job now is over regulated and has had some of the life squeezed out of it compared to what that job was years ago. Yep,experiencing it also.
    True, but nevertheless, any job is what you make of it. These jobs would still be a great way to make a living IF you go into them with the right expectations and attitude.

There are a hell of a lot worse jobs out there, for sure.

MTV
    Thanks Oliver thanked for this post
    Likes OLDCROWE liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    My last forest fire I was on, back in the day; I was running a chain saw and almost went to prison for not being carded to operate a Stihl 034. There is some truth how progression has crimped job satisfaction.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a nice 30min video of the Ely operation over at Fireaviation.com. Type in Ely in the search box to find it.
    I can't post a link because I'm a NOOB!
    Here it is on YT.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwF8o5sbGDU

Post Thanks / Like
    GS-12 pay in Ely would make you a 1%er. I wish I was younger.

Jake

Post Thanks / Like
    I was a GS-11 step 10 when I retired in 1994 and I was far from a 1%er. Was about $50K then, $62K now. Top pay for GS-12 is about $80K, hardly rich. But yea, If I were younger and had the ratings etc. it might be a nice ride

Jack
    Last edited by n40ff; 04-20-2016 at 05:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can get a nice house for 70-100k. PITI in the $400/month range. A GS12 would make over twice the family median income for Ely. The winters are a bit chilly however. You could live pretty darn good up nort on that government pay is what I was getting at and the Finlanders still out number the Swedes and Norwegians. Ufda.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Announcement out today for 2 USFS Beaver pilots at Ely. Two-week window to get applications in. Max age 37 unless on a Veteran's Preference waiver. Minimum float time in announcement says 200 hours, but 500 is the actual requirement. PM me if you've got questions.

Henny

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/497380800

Post Thanks / Like
    For those who wonder why the age 37 cutoff, these are fire jobs, and fire jobs have mandatory retirement at age 57, so 37 plus 20 (minimum years to retire) equals 57.

MTV
    Likes cubnut liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mvivion View Post
    For those who wonder why the age 37 cutoff, these are fire jobs, and fire jobs have mandatory retirement at age 57, so 37 plus 20 (minimum years to retire) equals 57.

MTV
    Well, I have my 20 already in the fire/LE gig and still have 4 years until 57. Plenty of float time, maybe it is time for a change. Hell, I am even government carded.......
    My superior skills continue to get me out of where my piss poor judgement took me......

Post Thanks / Like
    In that part of the country a man with big money will own TWO used cars!!! Great people and wonderfull place to live.
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C-185 View Post
    Well, I have my 20 already in the fire/LE gig and still have 4 years until 57. Plenty of float time, maybe it is time for a change. Hell, I am even government carded.......
    Youd fall under one of those exemptions, Mike.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Announcement out today for an A&P at the USFS Ely Seaplane Base. GS-11 level.

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/507828200

Pilot hiring announcement coming out again soon with some changes as we didn't hire anybody off the last one.

Post Thanks / Like
    This must be a different Ely. The Ely I know and sort of love is land locked. They do have a spectacular steam railway.
    Thanks JDWilliams thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness, is a 1,090,000-acre wilderness area within the Superior National Forest in northeastern part of the US state of Minnesota under the administration of the U.S. Forest Service. Ely is the home base for the Boundry Waters. Putting up with all the government BS, so you could fly a beaver for a few hundred hours a year...Doesn’t fit my description of a dream job.
    Likes aktango58, TurboBeaver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hiring announcement out today for two pilot positions in Ely. Same hour requirements and age limits as last time, but they did change some of the questionnaire items which will hopefully help us get some more qualified applicants.

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/508545700

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/508547100

Little HennyCub promo video for your viewing pleasure. Sound on and 1080 for max enjoyment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Henny View Post
    Hiring announcement out today for two pilot positions in Ely. Same hour requirements and age limits as last time, but they did change some of the questionnaire items which will hopefully help us get some more qualified applicants.

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/508545700

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/508547100

Little HennyCub promo video for your viewing pleasure. Sound on and 1080 for max enjoyment.

Too bad I don’t have my instrument rating yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisedByWolves View Post
    Too bad I don’t have my instrument rating yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Drivers up here can make up to $500/day flying floats.

A good beaver guy can work a lodge at that for four months and have the winter off. Paperwork? We don't need no paperwork...

Me, I like to be home, so just fill in this summer. A little less than lodges, but good daily.

Low time float guys seem to start at $250/day, unless you get lucky.

Of course, in the flying world if a company is offering the 'going rate' for pilots they are behind the times. Pay is going up faster than fuel prices with the current shortage.

Tom, don't mean to get your goat- but why not? Get that stupid thing and come fly up here a few months each year!!
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!
    Likes kestrel, Colorguns, RaisedByWolves liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Can anyone dock their seaplane at the forest service dock? Or is there a public seaplane dock in Ely?
    Thanks Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LUCIFER View Post
    Can anyone dock their seaplane at the forest service dock? Or is there a public seaplane dock in Ely?
    Thanks Jim
    The Forest Service dock is not for public use. There is a city/customs dock just east of there in the same bay that I have seen folks tie up to overnight. The Grand Ely Lodge also has a dock if you are dining or staying there.

Quite the change from back in the 70's where there were numerous seaplane operators and aircraft on the lake.

Post Thanks / Like
    Would the city/customs dock be the one with a hangar 50 yards east of the forest service dock? Wouldn't want to tie up to the wrong dock.

Thank you Henny

Post Thanks / Like
    No, that is an old private one that shows up on Google Maps, but has fallen into such disrepair that there isn't anything left to tie up to. The customs dock is 268 yards east of the USFS dock, is L-shaped and is right in front of a big tan building that belongs to the City of Ely public works. There is a cream and blue colored Aeronca on floats tied up in the weeds just to the west of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Henny View Post
    Quite the change from back in the 70's where there were numerous seaplane operators and aircraft on the lake.
    All of which changed when the FS convinced the powers that be to create Prohibited airspace over the Boundary Waters, which put a number of folks out of business. A travesty, to say the least, and fortunately one that hasn’t been repeated elsewhere.....so far.

MTV
    Likes jrussl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    All of which changed when the FS convinced the powers that be to create Prohibited airspace over the Boundary Waters, which put a number of folks out of business. A travesty, to say the least, and fortunately one that hasn’t been repeated elsewhere.....so far.

MTV
    Most of them moved to AK. and became successful operators. Yes pretty sad, Ely and Shagawa lake were once the largest seaplane base in the world, now home only to Uncle Sam.

Post Thanks / Like

MTV
    Why do they need aircraft if the airspace is 'Prohibited?' Oh, only for citizens.
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    I parked there once on floats and got a very curt reception. Good way to see our taxpayers hardware up close with a prompt agency response.
    Likes jrussl, Cappt liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    My dad an myself stopped in there one day (by car) as my dad wanted to introduce me to one of the pilots he knew. We got a full tour of the operation and planes! Great bunch of pilots and first class operation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cappt View Post
    My dad an myself stopped in there one day (by car) as my dad wanted to introduce me to one of the pilots he knew. We got a full tour of the operation and planes! Great bunch of pilots and first class operation.
    We are here year round and give lots of tours to folks who call and schedule as well as folks who just drop by. If anybody wants to fly in on floats for a tour, I guarantee you can park at our dock while you are here and nobody will give you any grief. Or come on skis in the winter and land on the groomed runway. We've got enough historical stuff here to qualify for museum status...
    Henny's YouTube Channel
    Thanks Bill Rusk thanked for this post
    Likes Cappt liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The no fly ban over the bwca (boundary waters canoe area) went into effect in 1949. 4000 feet above msl, about 2000 agl. In 1978 they added more lakes and land to the bwca. In 1949 Shagawa lake said to be the largest seaplane base in the world with 350 seaplanes. My Grandfather was flying out of there in the 40s. My aunt in the 50s. Many GIs got their ppl on the GI bill in Ely. Seaplanes were a good way to get around and make money from tourist. The flying ban put an end to seaplanes and their businesses.

Below a link to a good video on the forest service seaplane base. It was done by David Quam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwF8o5sbGDU

Post Thanks / Like
    The Beaver has a 125gal water tank hanging between the floats that can be refilled from lakes on the go, they talk about it more in depth in the video. It doesn't sound like much water and it's not but my friend has a wilderness cabin (no road in) north of Trout lake and got to experience a couple water drops first hand. He said lightening started a fire near the cabin and it was getting out of hand when the Beaver appeared and made a drop, he said the instant humidity and moisture was enough to knock down the fire to where they could get in and tamp it down with shovels. The Ely operation really is a great benefit the USFS has done right thanks to all the great people involved with it. I make several trips a year into the area and hope to hear the Beavers for many years to come.

Post Thanks / Like
    My mandatory retirement age is 60 and I have to do more than that.
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    It's funny that I got a Supercub.org update with this post, as a few days ago I tried to Weasel my way into a job flying the FS Beaver. Alas, I'm too old! No age discrimination with the us.gov. Guess you have to be 37 years of younger (for some reason classified as a Fire Fighting job and not a pilot). Sounds like if you have military time, they may pro-rate that.

A hundred years ago, this was a highly sought after job that was hard to get. I know, I tried. I really enjoyed talking to Henny, and would like to pass along that if you can get past all the red tape, this may really be worth checking out.
    Just because you know you can do it, doesn't mean you should!
    Likes SJ, Henny liked this post