• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Straight floats to Alaska

Jack358

Michigan
Have a friend who needs his plane moved from Wisconsin to Alaska on straight floats and wondered if anyone had suggestions on fuel stops for 250-300 nm legs. Looks like a real challenge so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jack

Here is some info from a previous thread.

http://www.supercub.org/forum/showt...traight-floats&p=501789&viewfull=1#post501789

Scroll down to the next post to see pictures of the landing area/zones. In these cases you must contact the local airport, and they will bring a fuel truck down to the dock (for a fee) and fill you up. These are pretty far apart and there are other options between. Check the SPA water landing directory and contact the folks. Most were happy to help. It takes a TON of planning (and back up planning) and contacting folks, then contacting them the day prior to make sure they did not forget etc. LOTS of work but it can be done.

Hope this helps

Bill

Kamloops, Canada has a water facility and customs. Generally, once you make it to kamloops there are more options from there on.

​Bill

Kamloops, Canada has a water facility and customs. Generally, once you make it to kamloops there are more options from there on.

​Bill

Bill what about go north and cross a international falls and from there go north west , just a thought !!!!

Have a friend who needs his plane moved from Wisconsin to Alaska on straight floats and wondered if anyone had suggestions on fuel stops for 250-300 nm legs. Looks like a real challenge so any help would be greatly appreciated.

185 to juneau?

Bill what about go north and cross a international falls and from there go north west , just a thought !!!!

Theres not much gas out there in the Canadian prairies for straight floats. As far as MN is easy. From there west and north is a little more challenging. As Bill noted, Jamestown,ND or Bismarck, ND may be possibilities.....call ahead and make sure someone will bring gas to water. Next west is Fort Peck. No wind, land at the marina. Or land in the river below the dam. Again, call ahead. Next is Ft Benton, MT. Not for the faint of heart, depending on water level. Call ahead.

Lots of water and reasonable access to gas from there on. Do a lot of planning, and make damn sure you've got a good reserve on every leg. Not many options in the prairies.

MTV

Should be easy; first stop float base in Kenora,Ont. -Flin Flon ,Man.-La Ronge ,Sask.- Cooking Lake,Alta- Then up the hiway to Alaska. These are all major float bases with fuel and Maint. My Beaver went from La Ronge to Soldotna,piece of cake.

Add a few more. ,Kenora Ont.,Selkirk Manitoba,Shoal Lake Manitoba,Prince Albert Sask , and with all this the usd is 1.40 to Canadian dollar.

Should be easy; first stop float base in Kenora,Ont. -Flin Flon ,Man.-La Ronge ,Sask.- Cooking Lake,Alta- Then up the hiway to Alaska. These are all major float bases with fuel and Maint. My Beaver went from La Ronge to Soldotna,piece of cake.

Last edited:
I am not sure about the exchange rate and how that will affect the fuel cost. In the past it was much more expensive to get fuel in Canada so it was much cheaper to stay in the US as long as possible.

Bill

If you are able to pay with a credit card you will get the advantage of the bank in the US exchange rate. If not the local rate in Canada will be higher. l

See some wilderness go across Canada. Many fuel stops as float planes still a way of life up there, not so in the lower 48. Have some fuel bladders or jugs with you to fill. I would add 200 miles to your endurance. Float lockers awesome for this but I carried enough for 7 hours range inside a 90 Champ on Edo 1400's. 42 gallons total. I would rather land and tail in on sand and fill from my bladders than revisit some of the places I've been to. Crappy docks, sometimes not protected from the current wind direction, issues with security depending on where you stop (First Nations). Have options with your own fuel. If you are heavy with passengers and gear then you don't have that option. Most lodges that are doing well sometimes sells fuel. After some emails and communication your route across the provinces will have way more stops that are optional and if you want to fish at a location you'll never regret that opportunity.

My last trip from eastern Canada to the northwest involved stops at Sudbury (ON), Wawa, Armstrong, Red Lake, Bissett (MB), Norway House, The Pas, Southend (SK), Uranium City and Yellowknife (NWT). That probably doesn't help you much but just indicates that avgas is available but requires some research. I'd bring a pocketful of Canadian cash because some places don't like credit cards. Your overnight stops should be planned carefully because (as stated by scout) at some places on reserves you'd have to sleep in your 'plane to protect it! Some of the fishing lodges sell gas and might even put you up for the night if they have room. No security issues there. Or just find a nice lake in the middle of nowhere and camp for the night. You'll certainly be eating fish for supper (if that's your thing)!

I could have made fewer stops but wanted to drop in at some of those places.

I'd be filing a flight plan for every leg. Don't forget to take a sat 'phone to amend your flight plan in case you come across that beautiful spot with the giant walleyes and decide to stay for a while.

See the country, take your time, bring your fishing gear and have a ball.

dito the first nations advice, if it can be smashed it will be, if it can be burnt it will be and very slim odds you will find av gas at any of them. Call ahead to some outfitters and lodges, lots of options and safe. Also bring LOTs of bug spray and mosquito protection!

If you are able to pay with a credit card you will get the advantage of the bank in the US exchange rate. If not the local rate in Canada will be higher. l
Make sure that the credit card you use does not charge a handling fee for international purchases.

I once told a guy at Greens airbase in Red Lake Ont. I was stopping at Shamattawa just to see it. They asked that I didn't in a way that got my attention. There are some real issues up there. Thankful I was raised, loved, and taught in an environment that helps one succeed. First Nations can be like living on an island.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/shamattawa-suicides-shake-northern-manitoba-reserve-1.3009897

http://www.thompsoncitizen.net/news...ommunities-dwarf-provincial-average-1.2016380

When I flew the Alaskan highway up to Fairbanks I carried extra fuel and extra water two of my fuel tanks were collapsible and they came in handy when I couldn't get fuel good luck The scenery will be on forgettable trip of a lifetime

Extra bug repellent for sure. I know a pilot who went down in summer, no injuries and just had to wait one day for pickup but the bugs about drove him nuts. First nations, reserves, aboriginals; whatever the present politically correct name is, sadly best to avoid. There would not be any fuel there anyway. Stick to the main float bases. Always interesting to see twin otters, beaver beech-18s and stuff doing real work.

When I flew the Alaskan highway up to Fairbanks I carried extra fuel and extra water two of my fuel tanks were collapsible and they came in handy when I couldn't get fuel good luck The scenery will be on forgettable trip of a lifetime
Punctuation is your friend.

Ahh, Yarddart, I have had 47CG for quite a few years. It still flies and looks good. I have found and visited Chuck of CG, and would like to ask you a few things too.

Thanks a bunch for all the great information, I'm sure you've saved me hours of research on my own.
Jack

Back