• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Not a cub, but an RC-3 SeaBee...

knie0012

Hey guys,

I decided to take a plunge and start an airplane project this last year. I purchased a Seabee (project in progress) last sprint out of Fairbanks and as of a few weeks ago I finally started.

I don't know if this is breaking any forum rules, but if anybody is interested, I started a website/blog documenting my progress:
www.tugmoe.com/knier-seabee/

I plan on posting something each week giving updates in the hopes of getting other interested folks a place to read about another project. I also plan on scanning the copious amounts of paperwork I "inherited" when I bought the plane in the attempt to get everything in digital format for others that might have similar interests or projects.

If you're interested, drop in and take a look. Feel free to leave comments, questions, guidance, expertise, or anything that might trip your trigger.

Again, mods, if this is against any rules (I'm not selling anything) feel free to delete this post.

Take care,
Jason

Where is the project? I have a friend puting a SeaBee together as well, he is in Alaska and might be interested in comparing notes.

Is he tall, speaks with a funny accent, and possibly likes sauerkraut....if so, yup ;)

He might be visible in a pic or two, in the post about picking up the project from Fairbanks.

I always loved the look of the seabee. Coolest looking flying boat in my opinion.

sj

It has really grown on me...definitely an acquired "taste". Now, it kind of looks normal to me after doing so much research.

Me too - cool looking airplane. But I heard it has a difficult time staying out of its own way. Flies a very long time in one spot.

I don't think it's horribly slow? With the GO-480, it can cruise at about 115mph at 75%. Gross weight increased to ~3250 from 2190 lbs...

That said, I've honestly never even flown one, or have even taken a ride in one :/

It is very good in rough water. With the wing extensions it has passable performance. Without, it glides like a streamlined anvil. Never flew one with the GO-480, that is a good upgrade from the under powered Franklin. Be careful of the sponsons in rough water as the struts are designed to break off when hit to save the wing. Those holes and cut in the strut just below the wing are there for a purpose.

All this time on SC.org it never occured to me that I would be lumped in with Eaton. Actually it's quite an honor:roll:

Take what Tangle says with a grain of salt,,, he was raised with bear cubs. But you are in good company now, as we weave a web to the finish line, leaving those unfortunate enough to see the light all "Tangled" up in our trap. A couple back east are easy to catch, but others need a snare. [emoji125]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a guy here on the field with one , with a corvette engine in it. Cruises about 100 indicated. He has 3-4 more in various stages of disrepair. I can get his contact info for you if you need info or parts

We used to have 3 that would show up in formation at our breakfast in Cooperstown. They would do a low formation pass down the runway and breakoff and land. I got talking with one of the pilots Jim Poel about the Seebee. He said it's easy to fly and remember the numbers, takeoff at 80, cruise at 80, land at 80. Jim happened to be the top pilot and spark plug at the Curtiss Museum, He flew the 1911 1A-1 Triad seaplane and the 1914 America flying boat. Sadly Jim died from injuries when control was lost while he was test flying the 1910 Albany Flyer replica.

Glenn

Don't let slush get into and freeze the tailwheel locking mechanism - hard to get off the runway... :-?

8b9c7390ec3f6cef3c66bc39.jpg

b86fca857e1917085228c2ef.jpg

475337c3b7951b2769fb52c9.jpg

7f8c74adb1bd763983bdaf9d.jpg

a1047e96ea6ca983bba78c9f.jpg

146d69b476b0f49ab3403827.jpg

0287a100176366e0cee0c860.jpg

44c04d69a49630296dc360bd.jpg

8bebd2086191a88609dac221.jpg

Don Kyte told me that his old one had extra large sponsons on it, and they helped push it out of the water.

He flew it for years, then sold it to a person in Sand Point ID. If one could find the mods for that one and copy, you might be pleased.

Hey Eaton, do you even know what a SeeBee Is? Maybe when this one gets flying we can both get a ride8)

Don Kyte told me that his old one had extra large sponsons on it, and they helped push it out of the water.
Are you sure that he didn't say "spray rails"? Wide spray rails are common just for the purpose of getting on the step and out of the water. They also reduce spray in the prop.

Awesome conversation!

There is a Robinson (V8 corvette) conversion, LS-1, LS-6, etc that I don't know that much about. What I do know is what was mentioned before. The Franklin originally installed was way under-powered. That said, ours does have the GO-480 installed and the "published" speeds aren't horrible, plus, that's all relative :)

The damn Seabee is a flying rhinoceros with thick hull skins, lot of cabin room, not real aerodynamic....

Ours does have the wing extensions and the drop/droop tip daubenspeck wing mods so rest assured, I'll emphatically but modestly tell you guys, you were all wrong </sarcasm> and that it's a lightening bolt in the air.

If you want a good read that has quite a bit about SeaBee's, buy "Success On The Step, Flying with Kenmore Air." You might be surprised what they did with those in the Northwest and Canada. Also just a great story about Kenmore.image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    14.9 KB · Views: 775
Last edited:
Maxi- great shots!

Skywagon- correct again, spray rails

Eaton, we need a sliding window for ground support.

Knei- Don's had big wings, a 480, special tips and other stuff!

Don Kyte went flying with me in the Twin Bee.

I was rummaging through my attic yesterday and found a Seabee dual control wheel. If anyone is interested.

Don Kyte went flying with me in the Twin Bee.

I was rummaging through my attic yesterday and found a Seabee dual control wheel. If anyone is interested.

Very cool! Don was a great guy, wonder where he landed? He had gotten married and retired from flying in Juneau, not seen him since.

Last time I was in Manly Hot Springs, there was a SeeBee there in pieces. At least the wings looked useable. Don't remember seeing the other parts, but I think I was told it was all there.

Last time I was in Manly Hot Springs, there was a SeeBee there in pieces. At least the wings looked useable. Don't remember seeing the other parts, but I think I was told it was all there.

Pretty sure what you saw is the parts that are written about here.

Yeah, I think the gentleman I bought this all from was the recipient or owner/purchaser of that old wreck in manly, I just got done drilling it apart a week or so ago:
www.tugmoe.com/knier-seabee/?p=254

aktango - that's promising of Don's airplane. Our rebuild has the wing extensions, 480, droop tips, large spray rails and a few other things. All that, I think it will be a decent performer.

Back