• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

FAA TSO/PMA suspension for AmeriKing

He wanted to charge me more to fix one of his units than it cost. I told him to pack sand. Same service I got from them years ago. I won't use their ELT's if you give one to me. There are some people who just don't understand customer service.

The saga continues . . .

A couple of days ago a customer brought in another AK 451 for testing (annual). The unit tested good for power out on 121.5 but low power on 406. He changed batteries and we tested it the next day, with the same result. I informed him that it was a problem with the 406 circuit as the 121.5 circuit was pushing good power out. He called Ameri-King and was asked (by some one with an almost in comprehensible accent) what brand tester was used. When he told them the model of test box I used, the guy told him that if we didn't use one of their test boxes it could ruin the ELT.

At this point I threw the B.S. flag out onto the field. The test box is a passive unit that simply samples/measures the signal from the ELT.

Then the customer was told that if he wanted to send the ELT back to the factory for repair that they would have to get permission from the faa first. He also stated that to test out that ELT, the customer would only need to squawk 121.5 on a com radio (B.S. flag, again).

Wow, how bad a business sense do they have? They put a customer service rep on the phones, that is difficult to understand. Then he tries to tell a customer that their ELT's can only be tested with the 'company's test box'. And finally, he proves that he does not understand HOW to test an ELt in accordance with FAR 91.207 (power out).

If some one from Ameri-King is listening, please explain your company's AND employee's actions.

Web

P.S The customer now has an Artex ELT.

When did the federal government take Ameri-King? Sounds just like most of their offices

I have an ENTIRE filing cabinet drawer full of AK-450's. Been crap for decades and not sure how they made it this far...

Back