• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Airglas GLH3000 hydraulic skis

Anchorage, AK
I am buying a PA-12 and want to get back into ski flying. What's the consensus on the Airglas hydraulic skis? The last time I flew skis was in a 185 for Cape Smythe back in the day...

I have never flown them, but I do hear good reviews. I have installed them on cubs before and they are a pain in the ____ss.

Any more pireps on these skis? Searched the forum and might have missed a more informative thread. I'm looking for anyone with deep snow high altitude experience out there.

Jerry

The only downside I have heard is the electric pump takes about 1 min to cycle the ski. Never heard of a flotation issue. Lots of the hydraulic skis make for cubs where meant for 1 1/4 in axle calipers if you have 1 1/2 in axles/calipers you may want to call and check if they will fit.
DENNY

Any more pireps on these skis? Searched the forum and might have missed a more informative thread. I'm looking for anyone with deep snow high altitude experience out there.

Jerry

I’ve got several winters on my GLH 3000 fit to a PA-18 150HP. I live in SE AK (Juneau) and don’t have option of low altitude consistent snow/freezing temps so most of my operation is on the Juneau Icefield 4-6500’ in elevation above Sea level. I can say they perform well from all my exposure. I’ve had zero issues or complaints operating in snow conditions that has knee deep penetration when stepping out of the plane. When it has been deeper snow depths I am usually operating solo and cannot speak to DEEP snow with gross load. Gross load at 6,000’ in ankle deep penetration snow has been no issue. I have Burls Tail Ski also FYI. I’ve been operating the skis with the electric pump and find it to be more weight and points of failure for cold weather ops so am transitioning to a hand pump only for this upcoming winters operation. Hope that helps some.

I’ve got several winters on my GLH 3000 fit to a PA-18 150HP. I live in SE AK (Juneau) and don’t have option of low altitude consistent snow/freezing temps so most of my operation is on the Juneau Icefield 4-6500’ in elevation above Sea level. I can say they perform well from all my exposure. I’ve had zero issues or complaints operating in snow conditions that has knee deep penetration when stepping out of the plane. When it has been deeper snow depths I am usually operating solo and cannot speak to DEEP snow with gross load. Gross load at 6,000’ in ankle deep penetration snow has been no issue. I have Burls Tail Ski also FYI. I’ve been operating the skis with the electric pump and find it to be more weight and points of failure for cold weather ops so am transitioning to a hand pump only for this upcoming winters operation. Hope that helps some.

Thanks for the insight. The electric pump is a big concern of mine. I have limped home on no battery before and would not have wanted to be stuck in ski mode. Cornering in tight places is another concern. I have a couple of treasured spots that are very tight with consequences in turning wide. I assume to do a single wheel drop is no big deal?

I think I recall something about a hand pump discussion in a previous thread. I'll look for it.

Thanks - Jerry

Doing the single wheel drop is as easy as can be, just apply the brake for the ski you want to keep down and the tire will keep that plate from opening, then you can spin the pane on a dime!

It takes about a minute to manually extend or retract our GLH3000 ski’s. Can do it in 40 secs pumping furiously.(IIRC In a past post it was 79 full throws of handle) We have a pretty short handle. That lower cockpit space is at premium wearing winter boots.

Drake at Earth Center here in Haines runs a set.

I watched him take off last spring and the skis looked like they were pitched way nose up with the wheels down... so wonder how they fly as far as drag. I need to ask that question to him.

We just bought a set for our Cessna 180, hoping they are close to our straight Airglas 3000, floats are coming off and wheel skis on. My brother operated a set of the 4000 on a Bush Hawk and commented that you transition to ski mode for cross country trips for just that reason.

We just bought a set for our Cessna 180, hoping they are close to our straight Airglas 3000, floats are coming off and wheel skis on. My brother operated a set of the 4000 on a Bush Hawk and commented that you transition to ski mode for cross country trips for just that reason.
That’s how I operate. Ski mode for XCountry.

Back