• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

2016 Hunting and Fishing

Found a decent one before winter hit MN.

IMG_1318.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1318.JPG
    IMG_1318.JPG
    216.3 KB · Views: 214
Nice Kyle, 18" here it's a mess. Calling Avemco monday removing flight coverage I'm finished for Bushwheels and no skis at moment.

Got a couple of Maine's new big game animal also shot a small buck (one of the few we have left).P1050058.JPGP1050113.JPG

Attachments

• P1050058.JPG
    P1050058.JPG
    380.9 KB · Views: 206
  • P1050113.JPG
    P1050113.JPG
    345.4 KB · Views: 210
Our Geniuses running the IF&W still have a hard time to believe that coyotes kill more than the weak sick and small deer, people have been complaining about clear cutting the deer yards for years but the logging industry is far more important than our deer herds. The Bucks only law has killed most of our big bucks and in a lot of the state we have less deer after 30 years of fixing it. The tv shows haven't helped much either because now we have a large percentage of hunters :roll: baiting so they can shoot a deer. We had a snaring program that was very successful but the antis threatened a lawsuit so the State outlawed that. Only good thing is they haven't re-introduced the wolf :evil: yet.

Our Geniuses running the IF&W still have a hard time to believe that coyotes kill more than the weak sick and small deer, people have been complaining about clear cutting the deer yards for years but the logging industry is far more important than our deer herds. The Bucks only law has killed most of our big bucks and in a lot of the state we have less deer after 30 years of fixing it. The tv shows haven't helped much either because now we have a large percentage of hunters :roll: baiting so they can shoot a deer. We had a snaring program that was very successful but the antis threatened a lawsuit so the State outlawed that. Only good thing is they haven't re-introduced the wolf :evil: yet.

Not just the coyotes, post a picture of your wall of fame in the basement

Glenn

Like the MN wolf and white-tail relationship and fluctuations in deer herd numbers Maine appears to be realizing it's multiple issues, same as MN. Weather is the biggest player. I am in the woods daily and an avid back country snowmobiler and see the deer pile up like firewood when our winters are brutal. Then the hunting pressure. In gravy years the DNR allows bonus deer and sometimes as many as 5 anterless permits for regions. Then they knee jerk react and go bucks only for years in a row and the pressure is tremendous on everything from spikes on up. It's bullshit and hard to believe wildlife biologists are so stupid. Habitat is a huge player in winter. I have many acres of Cedar and the brothers wanted to log it and I said no way in hell. It offers a thermocline in cold winters and the snow isn't as deep. Conifer stands are pretty important to deer. Our coyotes here are not so numerous and pose no issues but we have wolves and they are not friends. The Black bears also take a large toll of fawns and that is finally being realized now. They are very efficient hunters. Sounds like Maine isn't the destination for hunting deer. Look in the history of hunting and it once was a destination for quality trophy bucks. Last thing,, in that article I posted it said clubs in Maine doing clover food plots for winter deer. That's a joke. Anything 3 feet under snow isn't helping anything but the field mice and voles. Standing crops if the deer can get to them with winter cover nearby. I'm watching 5 deer now in 20" of snow work on my field corn. Good luck out there...

Here it is Glenn, cellar is such a mess hard to get a good picture now the antlers end up in the barrel.P1050121.JPGP1050120.JPGP1050122.JPG

Attachments

• P1050120.JPG
    P1050120.JPG
    509.6 KB · Views: 257
  • P1050121.JPG
    P1050121.JPG
    395.3 KB · Views: 233
  • P1050122.JPG
    P1050122.JPG
    342 KB · Views: 219
Just for a reference here are a couple not well know facts about Maines deer herd. In Montana where they have an estimated herd of 800,000 deer they sell 16,500 out of state licences. Period. When the are gone thats it. They get close to a grand for their Big Game licenses, here in Maine the deer herd has been the most mismanaged saga of any fish & game dept in the USA. In the 60s/80s when there was probably realistically 150,000 deer in the State, they were selling over 200,000 licenses!!!(But they struggle to get $150 for them!)
So they are literally selling more licenses than there ever were deer to shoot???? Retarded policys , absurd cutting
Practices on cedar swamps with Hemlock overstory has left our whitetails literally "out in the cold". No one is hunting Maine anymore as it has THE lowest hunter sucess rate, of ANY state in the Union.... The worst.
In my little town in 1952 they taged 127 deer here, this year they taged 3.........

Last edited:
MN management sucks too. Like watching a slow motion train wreck. A typical scenario is back to back winters with deep snow and minus 40 degree temps, then dead deer piling up in spring, then round table meetings and slide rules to evaluate data at a comfortable room temperature of 74 while those of us living in the woods know what the truth is. A segment of those calling themselves deer hunters blame the wolves for fewer deer in the fall. The state wants the license sales (500,000) because they have already spent the money before it's in the coffers. Party hunting should go away. You want a doe permit? Then if you draw one that is what you shoot not someone else in the party, and you pass on the bucks. Youth hunters should be granted the freedoms first to make their hunt rewarding. Nobody should ever get to kill 5 deer using bonus licenses only to have excessive meat and give it away of waste it. The hunting of the future in some states; will be the hunt you create for yourself. If you are fortunate to own property and channel energies into managing wildlife.

Lol Glenn,
I Doubt, even Douten, could Dub a deer around here.........
Some of the most notorious pouchers in Maine, still live around here. And the mighty Eastern Brush Wolves (40/60 lb Coyotes) are silently at work here 24/7.
Their scat is always loaded with Deer hair. The Maine Warden Service has really let the people of this State
Down ,with both the Deer ,and the Salmon.....

Some great posts.

I am looking for some flyin fishing spots in Maine. Have a new to me 185 on wheels and am anxious to do some camping and fishing, preferably fly, in Northern Maine. Have been to the now closed Red Pine Grove and absolutely loved it in my Cub in the past. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Tom
Cape Cod

Lol, I think they have removed the show because the most
Exciting thing on it was watching a Warden arrest some dude with an expired boat trailer license.......
Though they have NO money to stock salmon or trout anymore, they just spent a half million on a NEW 172, when a $25,000 klunker would do anything they need to do with an airplane........

No cub flying here and my arms hurt after bringing this girl to the boat. Mighty fine fare on the grill. Russell island Bahamas

jim

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    133.3 KB · Views: 174
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    113.3 KB · Views: 160
Back