Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Wildcat Cub

Post Thanks / Like
    Stewart,

So called “non congealing” oil coolers contain an internal bypass so that if the oil in tthe cooler congeals, the bypass opens and returns oil to the engine, bypassing the cooler. I believe many if not most Cessna 180/185 oil coolers have that feature, but I don’t know if cub type coolers do, or whatever type cooler you’re using.

If if they have the bypass, it makes little difference if they get cold in flight. Pre heat MIGHT be a different story, but I doubt that -30 would be a problem in either case, and the odds of seeing that temp south of the Range is pretty low, though possible.

If if you install heat pads on them, make certain that 1000 watt Honda will sustain the load.

MTV
    Thanks pfm thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Not common but it happens. Go to the cabin on a single digit Friday. Play all day Saturday as temps hover around zero. Wake up Sunday morning and see the thermometer at -45. Yippee. The things we do for fun.

I thought non-congealing coolers have a straight tube through the core that allows warm oil to warm the body of the cooler to get the gooey oil moving. I wish Cub coolers worked like that.

Congealing vs. Non-Congealing

Engine oil thickens at cold temperatures, this thickening is commonly referred to as congealing. Even though it is bolted to a warm engine, it is possible for a congealing type oil cooler to remain cold enough to cause the engine oil inside it to remain cold and thick (congealed). When the engine warms up to about 160-180F the vernatherm directs oil into the oil cooler, but if there is congealed oil in the cooler, it can take a considerable amount of time for oil to begin to flow through the oil cooler.
    To avoid this situation, Non-Congealing oil coolers were designed to have a small - but continuous - amount of engine oil flowing through them at all times - even when the vernatherm is in full oil cooler by-pass mode at low oil temps. Non-Congealing oil coolers feature what is (non-technically) referred to as a "Wee-Wee Hole" (as in the picture above, right). This "Wee-Wee Hole" is a passageway running through the center of the oil cooler, through which a constant supply warm engine oil is pumped. This keeps the oil cooler - and the roughly two quarts of oil it contains, at (or near) the temperature of the engine. This way, engine oil can easily flow through the oil cooler the very instant that its flow is directed there via the vernatherm.

A congealing or non-congealing oil cooler can be identified by the thickness of the base plate and the presence of the "wee-wee hole" as indicated in the pictures above.
    Last edited by stewartb; 12-11-2017 at 03:11 PM.
    Likes mike mcs repair, utb 44E, OLDCROWE liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Sneaking up on completion.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice!
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------
    Thanks stewartb thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    80% done with 40% left to go...... at least that’s how mine went!
    Likes stewartb, RaisedByWolves liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Paint scheme decisions are hard. I like how it's turning out.

Last edited by stewartb; 01-12-2018 at 05:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Your cargo door makes me very jealous. Why did nobody told me about that when I was building my red Cub??? Too late for me..

Really like your paint scheme btw.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! I like how it's turning out, too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good! Look forward to seeing it out and about soon!

Post Thanks / Like
    Panel labels from a printer? Pretty cool.

https://decalprofx.com/Vertical/1_ME.../Aircraft.html

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Last edited by stewartb; 01-13-2018 at 10:54 AM.
    Thanks cubscout, Wingwrench thanked for this post

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely an interesting paint scheme. Love that left side glass!

Post Thanks / Like
    I like it! I canít wait to see it in the sunshine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes RaisedByWolves, Lance2050, WanaBNACub, SJ liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wildcat Cub

Onward toward the finish line. The panel’s going together. Installed 10 push-pull cables. That may be a record for a Cub panel. Panel label printing continues.

I missed the mark with installing the lower pilot door. It hit on the strut attach. BCSC is making all the doors one piece swing-up now to avoid the close tolerance interference at the strut attach. Thanks Kevin Quinn for sharing pics of his 2-piece door. They helped. My door is fixed, for now.

Likes WanaBNACub liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I like your N number.

Post Thanks / Like
    907sonofabitch.
    Likes OLDCROWE, 68Papa, SJ, gregory, mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    907 send billions!
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aktango58 View Post
    907 send billions!
    No ****!

Post Thanks / Like
    Do tell. Have you built one?

Javron, Carbon Cub, SQ-2, Rev 2.... any high performance Cub kit that uses 100% new parts including factory new engine and prop is going to be expensive. Huskies, X Cubs, and tricked out Carbon Cubs are setting the bar for price. I’m doing just fine.
    Last edited by stewartb; 01-22-2018 at 12:22 PM.
    Likes jr.hammack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Sb. Do yu have photos of your pitch servo setup?? Maybe I missed that discussion....
    Likes PA-12 on Baumanns liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wildcat Cub

This is where it ended up. I wasnít sure Iíd like it there but it isnít in the way and itís the best control attachment option we had. The third pic shows the tabs that the servo support mounts to. The tabs were already there.

Last edited by stewartb; 01-27-2018 at 08:00 PM.
    Likes 180Marty liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    stewartb

Going back through your Wildcat Cub thread this morning I made the connection of where I got the idea for mounting my oil cooler on my JAVRON. Thanks for that series of post. Great idea. Just as you have done we are mounting the cooler straight to the nose bowl. Having the BnC alternator on the rear case provides a bit more room for me to be able to apply this method. Mooney was a big propionate of this install method for yrs on their M20s. Mine is only a 7 row - Aero Classic. Very light weight. Made two doublers that will be riveted then glassed into place to spread the load across my carbon fiber nose bowl. Believe this is a much cleaner look compared to the traditional piper nose bowl oil cooler scoop. I will post pics once we get to that point.

Plan to mount so that the pluming ports are facing down to prevent interference with the flywheel. The bottom 1/3 will require a bit of work based on the shape of the nose bowl. Thatís where it begins to change direction towards the bottom cowling panel. All very doable.

Again thanks for the great idea.

shep.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good morning, Shep,

Thanks for the kind words. I’m pleased to hear the pictures have helped. That was my goal. I look forward to comparing notes after we’re both finished.

Idea sharing is what I come to this site for. There isn’t enough of it if you ask me. Like your Vertical Power idea. I’d never heard of it before. Exp equipment is evolving so fast it takes a community to keep up! Fun stuff.

SB
    Likes jr.hammack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    My favorite feature so far. I especially like that itís been installed to stay. Final assembly continues.

Post Thanks / Like
    That baggage door looks fantastic. Great build you have going. I’m really looking forward to seeing the plane completed and the final details.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Bolting parts on for good is a great feeling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes stewartb, mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Great door, Stewart. Your whole project looks great. Wanting you to get done so we can go flying.��
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of
    that comes from bad judgment. will rodgers

"Anyone who would give up liberty for safety deserves neither" Ben Franklin

Post Thanks / Like
    Me too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Your 180 is going to be seriously jealous of this airplane.... and with good reason

Post Thanks / Like
    Rob,

I hope so. I seriously donít want to own two airplanes again but wifey says donít sell the Cessna until Iíve bonded with the Wildcat. The big baggage door was a big draw. gpepperdís pireps about slats and split flaps convinced me to write the check. Iím looking forward to reinvigorating my desire to fly for the fun of flying, not just for the desire to get somewhere. And if this new Cub lands where I think it will? Itíll satisfy both.

SB
    Likes RaisedByWolves liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the photos of pitch servo SB!

Greg knows what is good! And he has had big baggage doors on his -12 as well. Not as bigg as yer new Cub though. I am jealous of that big door. It reminds me of the Tern and Privateer. YUGE!!

If the Wildcat is anything like the SQ Wayne Mackey built for Jon Bush you will have somethin' special!! Get er done!
    Likes stewartb liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Just pulling your flap cables there Stewart- everything has a cost in all of our lives, things like your cub are worth every penny!

That baggage door is something else. Will your pups be able to enter there for the trip out to the cabin?

The innovations you builders are doing really make me want to make the jump to exp.

Thanks for sharing!
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave, The Rev 3 wing may rival the Mackey wing. Time will tell. I'm not even finished and my plane is already a generation outdated. So it goes in the quickly evolving E-AB world. Not even pushed out yet and it's already old iron, but it'll be more capable than me!

George, Yes, my pup will be happy not to have to jump so high or be lifted in. She's not as young as she used to be. None of us are. Now to find something to cover the slick CF floor. Not just for the dog, but for anything that goes back there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bedliner?

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

Post Thanks / Like
    If I could get a light spatter coat and the adhesion was good? That could work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartb View Post
    If I could get a light spatter coat and the adhesion was good? That could work.
    I have some in fire cabinet

Post Thanks / Like
    how about a molded thin Kydex liner that can be pulled out and washed with a garden hose??

take the sand, dog hair and moose blood out without any residue left in the airplane.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Calkins View Post
    how about a molded thin Kydex liner that can be pulled out and washed with a garden hose??

take the sand, dog hair and moose blood out without any residue left in the airplane.
    I have ALWAYS wanted to do a TUB type floor boards that trap all the crud... fish slime, for fish haulers.... sand and blood....

never thought of it as a liner...

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm, that would be a good place for .028, to keep it flexible enough to get it in and out easily. But I have a surplus sheet of gray .040 sitting around. 20+ years ago a buddy had Fine Line or Tent & Tarp make him a raised lip floor pan for his Cessna using Tough Tarp. It worked great but it was on top of a diamond plate rubber floor so slipping wasn't a concern. The Kydex option is a good idea. Thanks!

The power of the pilot community sharing ideas on the internet. It isn't all just noise.
    Last edited by stewartb; 01-29-2018 at 12:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Alternate air closed.

Alternate air open.

I donít know what other FI Cub builders are doing for alternate air but this was a bit of a task.

Likes CamTom12 liked this post