• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Wildcat Cub

What is the empty weight?

My empty weight on 35s is 1480#. No fudging on anything, it is what it is. In conversation a few guys have criticized the weight. Truth is, the Cub drivers I respect and admire most that have seen it in person have all said they're surprised it doesn't weigh more. It's a big plane. Taller, longer, wider than a Cub, and the wings are big, too. Slats, big split flaps, big motor, CS prop? Not the recipe for a light Cub. When I consider those attributes next to a typical modified Supercub on 35s? It really is surprising that it doesn't weigh more.

My CG yesterday was 15.39. I have lots of capacity to add weight aft but I'm still learning the plane. As for GPS calibration? Don't care at this point. I just want to determine the best speed to get this beast down and I fly by airspeed, not groundspeed. 21 mph wasn't the minimum speed it's capable of, it's what I saw yesterday using a wheel landing attitude.

It was IAS calibration which I was inquiring about. I understand that it really isn't important. Just that it gives some reasonable numbers to compare with others.

My empty weight on 35s is 1480#. No fudging on anything, it is what it is. In conversation a few guys have criticized the weight. Truth is, the Cub drivers I respect and admire most that have seen it in person have all said they're surprised it doesn't weigh more. It's a big plane. Taller, longer, wider than a Cub, and the wings are big, too. Slats, big split flaps, big motor, CS prop? Not the recipe for a light Cub. When I consider those attributes next to a typical modified Supercub on 35s? It really is surprising that it doesn't weigh more.

My CG yesterday was 15.39. I have lots of capacity to add weight aft but I'm still learning the plane. As for GPS calibration? Don't care at this point. I just want to determine the best speed to get this beast down and I fly by airspeed, not groundspeed. 21 mph wasn't the minimum speed it's capable of, it's what I saw yesterday using a wheel landing attitude.

Just absolutely AWSOME.....that much load carrying capability with the slow speed performance as well as a decent cruise.....kinda like a gorgeous woman that loves you back, you got the whole package!

It's a cool plane. I have a couple of ideas about how to improve little things. Mike has some good ideas for reducing the aileron effort. I look forward to being just a pilot and not a test pilot.

One item a couple of followers will be interested in. On a normal Alaskan day with ambient temps in the 60s my oil temp with oil cooler doors wide open is in the low 170s. With oil cooler doors fully closed it's 180*. The coolers are effective but controlling the airflow doesn't make as much impact as I thought it would. Adding restrictor plates to the front for cold weather ops will be simple and was always the plan. I probably could have used 7 row coolers instead of 9 row but at this point I don't plan to change anything.

I knew they were heavier than a Super Cub for the reasons you posted but didn't know how much. A 2000 lb SC at that weight would fall out of the sky well before you IAS. What is GW?

Gross is 2400#. Aft CG limit is 23". My empty CG is right where I wanted it. I have capacity to load it up.

Jeff Lafore's Rev 2 weighs 1440#, as shown on Backcountry's website. Heliojoe just finished Shooters old plane and he's closer to 1400# but with a 360 and a Catto. I believe that's similar to AKtahoe's old Rev 2 with the same motor and prop. All are on 35s. I can't explain the 40# difference between Jeff's and mine as they're very similarly equipped firewall forward. Oil coolers, auto pilot, etc. It all adds up. I had hoped for less but there's nothing I'd have left off. Like I said, it is what it is.

Last edited:
Stewart, after seeing this airplane and talking with you about it the other day at Lake Hood all I can say is WOW what an incredible airplane! Every detail is very well done, and all the mods are amazing to see all together on one airplane.
congratulations!

David

This promises to be interesting

Keep us updated please

"unboxing" photos. Dealing with the manufacturer. Dealing with shipping.

Your valuable opinions, along with what you experience through this will help the community greatly

Thanks.

Just a quick update. 2-1/2 years after the check cleared Backcountry continues to provide ideas, advice, and parts as I refine my Rev. I sent an email to Bruce a couple of nights ago as I was thinking about my flaps. He answered it. Today I have a handful of parts coming my way on UPS. There are some really good companies supporting experimental aviation and Backcountry Supercubs is one of them. Thanks, Bruce and Robert!

I'm still looking forward to seeing the Rev 3 wing in action. :)

what happen to the new thread on making cowling doors?/patterns? he must of deleted it...

I just made a slideshow of the steps...

Thanks for the pireps SB, I’m another one interested in what your gps touchdown speed is, when you have the brain bites to take a look. Give us something to compare to other airplanes.

Sean

If I can get the flaps to work consistently maybe the pilot will be able to operate the airplane consistently, and then some GPS reports might be useful. ;)

A friend told me that an experimental Cub is never finished. I think he's right, but I'm still enjoying the process. I just need more hours in the day, especially as the days get shorter! Moving into a hangar will be a game changer.

Stewart,

Weight is only one measure and I agree it ain’t everything, and just as I commissioned with 604 you built exactally what you wanted. You just need to bring it South for the winter to extended learning period. Why I’d even risk going to Texas to see it.

Kirby

No plans to take it to TX anytime soon.

As I fly it it's become clear that this airplane likes weight in the back. I'm just learning how much. I put the 65# dog in back a few days ago for a quick spin and the improvement in the feel of the airplane was undeniable. An unplanned passenger and an unexpected discovery. It just keeps getting better. This isn't a light load solo pilot airplane. It's a truck, and that makes me very happy.

No plans to take it to TX anytime soon.

As I fly it it's become clear that this airplane likes weight in the back. I'm just learning how much. I put the 65# dog in back a few days ago for a quick spin and the improvement in the feel of the airplane was undeniable. An unplanned passenger and an unexpected discovery. It just keeps getting better. This isn't a light load solo pilot airplane. It's a truck, and that makes me very happy.

And still will get in and out short....can’t wait to see some flying video. our buddy tells me he’s planning to play with it next time he’s in state.

stewart, Have mike make you a ballast box mounted as far aft as possible. You could use lead or some disposable weights such as small stones for ballast. You will be very happy with the flying characteristics if you can keep the CG somewhat aft. A simple weight and balance program on your computer will give you the amount of weight needed. Try a loaded CG for somewhere in the 20" aft of the wing leading edge location. Of course flight testing will tell you what is best for you.

ps: This could be made with filling access through an inspection plate and a dump door under the belly. Then it would be easy to ballast for a one way empty trip with carrying a load on the return. Your short field operations would be greatly improved with this capability.

Last edited:
I don’t need a ballast box. I have a dog. And other than flying the test phase, which is new to me, I don’t fly around empty. The point of the comment is that I’m learning about my plane and the CG. Slats extend the envelope aft. I didn’t equate that to “needing” weight aft, but it flies better. End-Of-Pirep.

Stewart,
You might consider installing a push/pull panel control operated cooling slide to your oil coolers, then one can adjust in flight to have exact oil temps at all times, summer or winter. Works perfectly on my cub to achieve correct oil temps under most conditions. Starr installed it.
John

John,

I have controllable butterfly valves in the oil cooler outflow ducts. They stay closed most of the time. Winter temps will require cover plates on the front side of the coolers. Easy to add with the way the coolers are mounted. Knowing what I know now I'll likely switch to 7-vein coolers when I have the final nose bowl laid up.

The lightweight Husky is looking good. Love those floorboards! :)

SB

John,

I have controllable butterfly valves in the oil cooler outflow ducts. They stay closed most of the time. Winter temps will require cover plates on the front side of the coolers. Easy to add with the way the coolers are mounted. Knowing what I know now I'll likely switch to 7-vein coolers when I have the final nose bowl laid up.

The lightweight Husky is looking good. Love those floorboards! :)

SB

And here you were so worried about the reputation of high oil temps with that style engine :)

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Research, make a plan, and test it. No regrets. There hasn't been a day yet that I couldn't achieve 180*.

Last edited:
One more user report. I don’t know why I bother. Maybe somebody can benefit.

Mike and I did a full loop flap control scheme like a Cessna. It sounded like a good idea with the woes guys were having with 9’ plus Keller flaps drooping. I hated it. Pushing the thumb button to deploy or retract flaps wasn’t good, and I’m a Cessna guy. Missing a detent was common, so flaps were inconsistent at best. With a handful of parts from BCSC I’ve removed the return loop and gone back to bungee style flaps like a Supercub. These big flaps need more poop from the bungee, which was part of the whole problem. The original kit had single springs on the inboard bell crank and dual springs to a yoke at the outboard bell crank. We removed the outboard dual springs with the full loop install. Now I have dual springs at both bell cranks. Very little if any flap droop. Easy pull. I have reinforced pulleys and a stiff leg on the upper longeron at the pulley location so cable tension isn’t a worry. I now have no thumb button flap deployment to 15, 30, 45, and 55*. Happy happy. Fixing the flaps has been a journey.

One more thing. Working on this airplane has really made me appreciate how nice it’s going to be to have a hangar!

IMG_4798.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4798.JPG
    IMG_4798.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
SB, your words are helpful..Keep them coming.

As to flap deployment woes. Maybe it's me, maybe it's the CarbonCub system, but the 2 CC's I have flown could have benefitted from a "trigger job" to the flap ratchet system...It is not "sweet".

Glad you are getting what you want from the new bird!!

My flap handle wouldn't grab the notches if there was any side pressure on the handle. With the flap effort required that was hard to control. Worse, when I'd pull to the second or third notch and the nose would drop, only to not catch and have the flaps retract? That wasn't fun. And trying to hold the handle in the deployed position while landing wasn't fun, either. The system maybe could have been refined but it was easier for me to go back to the Cub style and just lift the handle without the thumb button.

Deconstructing the Wildcat. Gotta send the motor back to Dallas for a recall. Perfect timing for the new hangar and sub-zero weather.

Image1547352527.660866.jpg

IMG_5056.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_5056.JPG
    IMG_5056.JPG
    222.3 KB · Views: 430
  • Image1547352527.660866.jpg
    Image1547352527.660866.jpg
    418.5 KB · Views: 259
Hopefully tomorrow. My task list is long but I want to get it shipped asap. My petite wife helped with the prop removal. Pretty funny to watch with how high the prop is but we got it done. ;)

A timing issue has led to detonation and crank failures in some engines so the recall is to tear down and mag particle inspect the crank. Look back at post #314. A timing problem is easy for me to believe. We retarded my timing quite a bit and haven't had a repeat of that performance but my EGTs remain high. Maybe this explains it. I plan to visit SAP's plant while they have my engine torn apart. Maybe I'll understand it better then.

Back