• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Wildcat Cub

stewartb

It's no secret that a Backcountry Supercub rev 2 is coming my way. A few guys here have asked whether I'd start a thread about my build. I don't expect to do a forum thread in the way that others have but I will have a website with progress reports and pictures if anyone cares to look in. My project is my own and comes after much thought and consideration. I've wavered between a Carbon Cub and a modified standard Cub for a couple of years. Along the way several friends have built SQ Cubs and those have gained my respect enough that I added an SQ to my wish list. With the goat rodeo that is aviation medical reform and my total lack of hope that the government can get out of its own way and do anything meaningful I grew tired of waiting. Time to make a choice and move forward. As Mom would say, piss or get off the pot. The BCSC revision 2 won the nod.

I have a separate interest in establishing a website for my businesses and in digging into that wondered how hard it might be to create one myself. Wanting a little practice first I thought maybe a blog about building an experimental Cub would be a good test platform. A few bucks a month at Web.Com secured a domain with hosting and provides a web builder option. I was traveling and had my Macbook so I signed up and jumped in. With limited access to photos I used what I had. Build process photos and narrative will dominate the site once I get to that stage. I describe my site as a website experiment that happens to be about an airplane. Take it as that. I'm no tech guy but I will try to describe my own build process with detail that may educate some, entertain some, and will probably make some roll their eyes. So be it.

www.wildcatcub.com

This promises to be interesting

Keep us updated please

"unboxing" photos. Dealing with the manufacturer. Dealing with shipping.

Your valuable opinions, along with what you experience through this will help the community greatly

Thanks.

I too am looking forward to following. You do your homework and make well reasoned choices, so it will be fun to follow and learn from your build. Thanks for posting.

Bill

Great to have another builder in the mix. The Gen II should be a fantastic aircraft. There are enough of us building now to share our experiences and ideas. The benefits and options of an experimental build are limitless. Your input and experiences will be well received. Welcome aboard!

Siwash lives in God's country and has a Cub. That song should be about him! But I appreciate it just the same. Great song.

Very cool! I am going to be following this one closely. With several of my friends building planes, I have the bug as well. Haven't decided exactly what yet, but it will be experimental...

Siwash, I haven't heard the Stephen Stills version of Treetop Flyer since my college years. that was awesome. On a related note, I am going to be watching Stewart's site closely, as he has spec'd an awesome project very similar to what I would do if I wasn't broke
Bill

Arrival day. The kit was a little late from the promise date but pretty much spot-on for my expectation date. Bruce has been easy to work with. The crate arrived it perfect condition. Packaging appears to be really good. No inventory yet as it'll be easier to un-bundle things in a better space than my business floor. Initial assessment.... welding is excellent. It's more assembled than expected. Pedals, torque tube, seats, throttle, door, window, baggage door, electric trim are already installed. Wings are assembled less slats (packed in a box) and cables installed. I can't imagine how I could be more impressed or more pleased. I'm sure we'll have a hiccup or two along the way. Move this, add that, etc. So it goes. Here we go!

Attachments

• IMG_2122.JPG
    IMG_2122.JPG
    152.9 KB · Views: 796
  • IMG_2124.JPG
    IMG_2124.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 693
  • IMG_2125.JPG
    IMG_2125.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 713
  • IMG_2126.JPG
    IMG_2126.JPG
    184.4 KB · Views: 733
  • IMG_2127.JPG
    IMG_2127.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 745
  • IMG_2128.JPG
    IMG_2128.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 717
  • IMG_2129.JPG
    IMG_2129.JPG
    154.4 KB · Views: 789
Congratulations Stewart! Looking forward to following your build progress. As you know, get one thing done, no matter how small, every day and you'll get there in no time!

Question, looking at the picture of your fuselage, it doesn't appear that there are rudder hinge sleeves welded to the aft vertical fin? Maybe I just can't see them in the picture?

This plane uses a different attachment. The rudder has hinges and bolts on.

Relocation is complete. Fun stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_2130.JPG
    IMG_2130.JPG
    190.9 KB · Views: 531
Last edited:
Congrats! Look forward to following along on your website!

sj

There are "kits" and then there are Kits. Some kits as those from Van's and Cubcrafters arrive very complete with just about every nut, bolt and screw. They come with very complete and extensive build manuals. There is little or no fabrication to be made by the "builder". Other kits are starter packs. They send the large pieces such as fuselage and wings assembled with very few other parts or building instructions included. Theses kits require an extensive amounts of parts searching, purchasing, fabrication and assembly. These are what I prefer to call "builder kits" as opposed to "assembly kits." There is a MAJOR difference between the two.

Some guys want to be assemblers. Some would rather build. I favor the build method and BCSC provides an exciting set of bones to build upon. I like it.

I too prefer the "build" method. I own BCSC Gen II serial number 001. I have started final assembly of my fuselage. Now if I can just get my lower boot cowling and main cowling from Backcountry I will be able to complete the aircraft. I placed my order August of 2014. I took delivery of the airframe and wings April of 2015. I've been waiting a while for the parts to complete this project. I wish you all the best with your project. Please let me know if I may be of assistance. There are several of us building the Gen II version.

I'm going to log off from this discussion and let my website document my build. I'll work on it tonight and will figure out some rhythm to keep it updated. If anyone has questions feel free to PM me. Other than that, y'all have a good spring and summer.

SB

www.wildcatcub.com

You also Stewart!

Don't fall off this site though, we need your views to keep it real!

Can not wait to see the final product here though

Build vs. Assembly. Interesting thread. When I was building my Javron Cub, I was informed by my FSDO inspector that he could not certify my project as he was sure it was assembled and not built. I documented via builders log and pictures of each part or parts that I had made. At one point, when I told him that I had built the cabin heat valve myself rather than buy the overpriced one from some vendor, he wanted to see a picture of me welding either it or the landing gear. I kinda balked at that request and asked him how many planes he had certified with my exhaust systems and felt it was an unfair request. It was around that point during our "fireside chat" that he conceded and accepted the project as built by me (51%) rule. I know that each FAA inspector and or Dar's are all different but just thought I would pass on my experience. The bottom line is make sure you document as you build and talk to your inspector during the project, it will make the inspection day go a lot smoother. Larry v.

The whole 51% rule is such a crock of %$%$. The form itself has major flaws in the way you show how much you accomplished. I think anyone with a little smarts can outsmart that stupid form. The FAA guys have to take off there shoes to do a calculation to figure if you have done your math right. That being said I agree with everything SD said about documenting so that if they do get picky you have proof. The Javron kit is not an approved kit by the FAA so that can also cause issues.

The 51% is what we must deal with. Bottom line is document, document, document and take lots of photos. Be organized in your presentation to the DAR. Do your homework and paperwork well. Use the EAA kit for aircraft registration. Make a nice organized booklet for the DAR. Your paperwork presentation is representative of your overall detail with the aircraft. If the aircraft construction is well done and the paperwork is clear and accurate the process goes much smoother. Try to find a DAR that is known to be reasonable and not some nitwit who wishes to abuse his/her power and make your life miserable. It can be a smooth process if you adhere to the rules and pay attention to detail.

There are differences in different areas as our FSDO does all of the inspections on experimental amateur built aircraft, not Dar 's. We've had some really good ones and some not so good in the past at our FSDO. The positive thing is---no charge, vs. paying a DAR. Larry v.

907SB was available. Not any more. Registration application submitted. Superior says my motor assembly should start in a week or so. Whirl Wind prop ordered, Vetterman exhaust ordered, Garmin G3X Touch system is here, new gear built and powder coated.... The fun continues.

There's a cubic crapload of work yet to do but there's something special about the first hanging of the motor on a project plane. Happy day.

Attachments

• IMG_2935.jpg
    IMG_2935.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 628
  • IMG_8911.jpg
    IMG_8911.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 482
Back