• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Wildcat Cub

Stewart, I love seeing your progress and reading your updates! Thanks for sharing them!

How to turn a bad fitting composite boot cowl into something useful. We liked the molded windshield channel. Mike envisioned a way to keep it and morph a more conventional boot cowl to it. But wait, why would I ever want to do old man gymnastics and hang upside down in impossibly cramped space to access behind the panel? What about accessing the rudder pedal pivots (BCSC's control setup has the pedals hanging from a pivot tube above). Why not make removable panels on the sides? No permission required. One more advantage of the experimental category. :)

Attachments

• IMG_9900.jpg
    IMG_9900.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_0729.jpg
    IMG_0729.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 272
  • 16143294_1169472016499656_5681175679961569217_n.jpg
    16143294_1169472016499656_5681175679961569217_n.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
Progress. The G3X Touch component shelf has been wired. Holy cow that's a bunch of wires!

Attachments

• IMG_0297.jpg
    IMG_0297.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 206
  • fullsizeoutput_b70.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_b70.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 204
Details matter. Pretty blue powder coating on engine baffles, air box, and assorted engine compartment parts.

Attachments

• IMG_3283.jpg
    IMG_3283.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 217
db0352bfa99be7b52d6426ca7b7ced7a.jpg
Don't forget Windy. I enjoy a real bush pilot watching over my project.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Firewall forward is almost finished. G3X Touch components are in place. Entering the home stretch.

Why do some photos post sideways even when they're correctly oriented when loaded?

Attachments

• IMG_0292.jpg
    IMG_0292.jpg
    747.7 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_0291.JPG
    IMG_0291.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 204
Last edited:
Holy rat's nest, Batman! Seriously, the G3X Touch looks simple and elegant from the front but there's a whole lot going on behing the panel. I never considered the cost of coordinating and wiring the various boxes. Lesson learned!
6cd9eae525462eb507ef38da0695a599.jpg

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

My harnesses were built with every possible input. Ones I am not using yet were hidden between boot cowl and interior panel. (Two auto pilot, carb temp, two fuel qty, trim position, back up battery) I may put in carburetor temp at next conditional inspection. One wire at a time. Easier than it looks. You will love the G3x.

Jake

Sent from my SM-G930V using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Holy rat's nest, Batman! Seriously, the G3X Touch looks simple and elegant from the front but there's a whole lot going on behing the panel. I never considered the cost of coordinating and wiring the variousp

there is a lot to love in a stock oil pressure/temp instrument along with a tachometer. Just like the loving of a ratty original stock -18 Cub that can be patched back to "airworthy".

But your shiny new EXP "cub" with a classy glass panel will be SO SWEET, so enjoy it since you can afford it and made those decisions. !

I looked at conventional flight instruments and a JPI 930 for engine instruments. At face value the G3X Touch had a similar price tag. I added the AP because it wasn't very expensive to do so. The lesson here is that the cost of professionally wiring it, not including any cost to install it, is about 50% of the aggregate cost of the display and components. That may have been a deal breaker had I thought about it, but I didn't. The point of the comment was to alert others who may wander a similar path. I have no regrets, I asked for a service and it was provided. The work is excellent and the pricing was fair. I'm just sharing my experience. On the bright side, all the wires are labeled using a wire printer. How cool is that?

Last edited:
What auto pilot? I didnt catch that earlier in the thread. Its cool if it works well in a Cub control system. Some ap's do not

Garmin sells the servos for $750 each. The G3X Touch has 2-axis control capability built in whether you use it or not. We started with the capstan hubs (the operation style that grabs cables) and thought about where to hide the servos but went with direct drive rods on the torque tube-stick housing for roll and to a fixture added on the bottom of the stick for pitch. The pitch servo is a little exposed to feet but with the rudder and brake rods running through that area it isn't a big deal. There are pics on the website. http://wildcatcub.com/at-your-servo.html

I call the wing leveler button the "Chicken Switch". Not because I expect to use it if I get into the crap and start second guessing my stupidity, which isn't a bad idea, but rather for when I take my wife fishing. She brings KFC for after work adventures and this way the damn plane can fly itself so I can eat chicken AND hold a napkin. Civilized! :)

Have messed with the capstan style on the cables in an EXP Cub and was less than impressed

Garmin doesnt make junk, so it oughtta be really neat. I am an original recipe guy!!

"Chicken switch"

I am laughing hard at that!

Love original, some extra crispy, and a the bar-b-que wings...

Fantastic place to work, with all the machine tools.I found that having the mill and lathe took me two to three times longer to do any project because I was very detailed, and required things to be nice. Prior- cut to size, beat to shape, shim to fit and be done!

Will we see this bird at the Airman's show?

I have no reason to have it at the show. Maybe parked at Hood at some point during the show dates, unless I'm out flying it. I have a friend coming up to fly some aerobatics performances if things work out. If he's here I'll stay in town a little more than usual. And maybe he'll be out flying it! :)

Its alot worse than bananas on a fishn trip

only works for superstitious folks.........but it DOES work!

Superior didn't offer to paint my engine and I didn't ask. If I painted it I'd have chosen Lycoming gray like I did on my last one. Powder coating the engine compartment parts wasn't my idea, either, but I'm happy with the result. It makes a big impact for the dollars spent.

The banana I keep in my pocket. The engine in the plane.

Gary

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 2,649
The airframe is completed enough that it was put on the rotator today. Everything else is covered and painted except the ailerons need paint and the rudder needs fabric. All in all? This is the beginning of the home stretch. There are more custom parts to this plane than most planes have parts. Mike continues to amaze. Today it was last second cable guides in
impossible places. Outside of the box is an understatement!

Attachments

• IMG_3775.jpg
    IMG_3775.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 417
Last edited:
Back