• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Wildcat Cub

Just a small bump in the road. I'm enjoying being able to turn wrenches in my own place and my wife has been a willing helper. Airplane fun is what you make it.

Just a small bump in the road. I'm enjoying being able to turn wrenches in my own place and my wife has been a willing helper. Airplane fun is what you make it.

and here you said you wouldn't be working in your house/hanger..... :) that didn't take long...

But it's still clean and I intend to keep it that way. Besides, no smell from pulling an engine.

I need a couple if rolling tool benches!

I spent a couple of hours at Superior Air Parts earlier this week. Seeing my engine disassembled on a cart was an unexpected treat. My crank should be back from inspection at Aircraft Specialties in Tulsa today. Hoping the schedule holds and the reassembled engine heads home next week. I learned a lot about engines and was reminded of how little I know about them compared to the engineers who design and work with them. Good stuff. Airplanes are fun even when I’m not flying them.

Attachments

• 7DD69CC9-7125-42EE-8F47-74DA513BF9A7.jpg
    7DD69CC9-7125-42EE-8F47-74DA513BF9A7.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
Stewart,

I agree. Years ago, I had the opportunity to attend the Lycoming Piston Engine Service School. Though I'm not a mechanic, that program was absolutely worth the time and money. It really does give you an appreciation for how simple, yet elegant these little engines really are.

MTV

Yep, learning is good. Recognizing how limited my knowledge is is humbling, and that's also good. I've assembled aircraft engines and they do look simple. What I was surprised at was how the engineers trouble shoot problems like the timing issue in the IO-400s. The XIO-382 uses the same crank as the 400 but isn't subject to the problem they recalled the 400s for. There's more involved with increasing displacement than just bolting bigger cylinders on. Who knew? I'm impressed that Superior is proactive in tearing all these engines down and expect they'll learn more by inspecting engines with different times in service. That serves the end users in the long term even while it inconveniences us in the short term. I'm just glad it didn't happen during summer!

Hi Stewart,

I am the new owner of the REV 2, Heliojoe built, would like to make contact, have tried to send a PM but no luck,

Regards
Marc

Have you done any airspeed calibration? I found that the IAS on mine is 100% accurate from 155 mph down to 40 mph. Below 40 it abruptly becomes a +5 mph or more error. This due to the angle of the pitot tube to the relative wind. When you get the opportunity try to notice what the GPS ground speed is upon touch down with a zero wind condition. The best that I've been able to do is 28 mph while on floats. I don't recall the IAS at that time, obviously off scale unreliable.

Also at 2050# with ballast, what is your CG?

Just curious how did you find that it was accruate to 155 mph?

My airspeed is off by 10 mph, any ideas on the easiest wat to fix that. I was thinking of making a slip on bullet shaped end piece that I could drill out until I achieve the correct orifice size. Any other ideas.

Just curious how did you find that it was accruate to 155 mph?

My airspeed is off by 10 mph, any ideas on the easiest wat to fix that. I was thinking of making a slip on bullet shaped end piece that I could drill out until I achieve the correct orifice size. Any other ideas.
My pitot tube is a L shaped Kollsman mounted under the center of the wing between the jury struts and wing attach locations on a six inch mast away from any airflow disturbance from struts and prop wash. It is pitched slightly nose down. I think that if it were pitched a bit more nose down that it would be more accurate at low speeds. Both the pitot and static ports are connected to a new airspeed indicator. Accuracy is supposed to be within +/- 10* alignment of the tube to the airflow. I used a GPS flying in a 360* circle to determine the wind direction. Then did opposite direction runs in the zero wind direction comparing indicated with gps. This was done in 10 mph increments through the entire speed range. Frankly I was surprised that it was so accurate having done many of these calibration tests over the years. This is the only one which has been 100% accurate throughout the entire range. Just got lucky I guess.

Pete - At high AOA there is a pressure gradient below the wing, with pressure decreasing downward from the wing's lower surface. I demonstrated this by tufting my jury struts. The tufts tend downward, to below the flight path angle.

Given that the static source is closer to the wing than pitot source, as with the stock Piper arrangement, then the static component of total pressure is unequal between the two, and the reduced difference in total pressure between pitot and static source displays as artificially low airspeed. This is at least part of the too-low airspeed reading at high AOA, at least on my plane with the stock pitot-static configuration.

The reading I've done suggests that pitot angle is not a significant influence on dynamic pressure for "small" angles. If I recall correctly, "small" in this context might be something on the order of 20 deg or so.

This is just a thought I have and can be considered off this topic or a side topic in this thread.
I will be installing slats which when worked to the limit will allow for a rather high deck angle. I am curious about the value of placing the pitot tube on the slat such that it may keep the tube closer to that 20° range. Granted I am not sure if I will care to look at the airspeed indicator when approaching the limit.

charlie, put your pitot tube 1/2 way down the jury strut and point it down 10-15 degrees or what ever you can when flying level. just like they did with the 1940s J3s.

charlie, put your pitot tube 1/2 way down the jury strut and point it down 10-15 degrees or what ever you can when flying level. just like they did with the 1940s J3s.
If I recall my original J-4 has both pitot & static on the jury strut. I have not looked at the struts in a decade or so. Of all things my jury strut material arrived a few hours ago so it a good time for planning.
Got your PM as well.

Pete - At high AOA there is a pressure gradient below the wing, with pressure decreasing downward from the wing's lower surface. I demonstrated this by tufting my jury struts. The tufts tend downward, to below the flight path angle.

Given that the static source is closer to the wing than pitot source, as with the stock Piper arrangement, then the static component of total pressure is unequal between the two, and the reduced difference in total pressure between pitot and static source displays as artificially low airspeed. This is at least part of the too-low airspeed reading at high AOA, at least on my plane with the stock pitot-static configuration.

The reading I've done suggests that pitot angle is not a significant influence on dynamic pressure for "small" angles. If I recall correctly, "small" in this context might be something on the order of 20 deg or so.
That makes sense and agrees with my +/-10 deg. This is the pitot which is on my Cub. The pitot and static ports are both the same distance from the wing.
images
You can just make it out in this picture above the prop. PeteSmithCub11June1012004.jpg

Attachments

• PeteSmithCub11June1012004.jpg
    PeteSmithCub11June1012004.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 638
There’s nothing to figure out. I had a 400. I spent a good part if a day with Scott at SAP last week. Nice guy, tough job.

Last edited:
I’m stuck between rubber bands and a hamster. :)

Something different. That story isn’t finished yet so I’ll keep it private for now.

Stewartb
Hang in there, I am sure you will be able to make something happen. Big blow for Superior but they did the standup thing and pulled engines.
DENNY

so, trying to look at the brighter side.... superior should offer these for sale as Air boat engines!!! 220 HP airboats!!! hate to see them go to the landfill....

As much of a bummer as the engine recall is, the up side: Doing it in the winter, Doing it prior to serious in flight failure with limited options to land safe, now you get to select another cool engine out there to power your beast- and knowing how it flies you have more information to select from.

All in all, much easier than the situation could have been. Eager to hear your next power choice!

so, trying to look at the brighter side.... superior should offer these for sale as Air boat engines!!! 220 HP airboats!!! hate to see them go to the landfill....
Superior is not going to want those cranks in circulation, They will probably destroy them Lycoming style

Some answers. There were around 80 IO-400s involved. No idea how many 382s were produced.

I've ordered a new Lycoming Thunderbolt YIO-390. Balanced, polished and ported, configured to my specs for injection and ignition... I didn't know Lycoming had a custom EXP shop until a good friend directed me there. Superior has been really helpful throughout and has agreed to sell me back some important parts and Lycoming has agreed to incorporate them. The result will minimize reinstallation problems like having to completely reinvent the exhaust, airbox and lower cowl. With that settled the rest should be simple to bolt up. To that end I'll reinstall my Pmags, too, for now. Plug and play. A couple of industry guys gave me some great advice. If you happen to read this post you'll know who you are. Thank you. The exp manufacturing and supply community has been very supportive.

Back