• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Hanger door

C-FIJK

Lewisporte N.L.
I am in in process of build a new hanger and bi fold door. How much height will I need to clear It on straight floats?

Thanks

Right now I have 10 feet from the ground to the bottom of the door. I can Gain more come spring, then we can finish landscaping

Weld the 2 halfs together and make a Hydro Swing type door. More clearance and a sun/rain shade in the summer

Glenn

I am in in process of build a new hanger and bi fold door. How much height will I need to clear It on straight floats?

Thanks

Nice looking door frame! Can you share some details on it like size, tubing size, wall thickness?

It also depends on how high your trailer is for handling the plane on floats.

That isn't high enough, by a long shot, I'm betting.

MTV

I just called the fellow who lives next door to where my cub is stored. And he said the door is 11 feet. I can Gain another foot come spring time when we level the floor
It also depends on how high your trailer is for handling the plane on floats.

That isn't high enough, by a long shot, I'm betting.

MTV

Nice looking door frame! Can you share some details on it like size, tubing size, wall thickness?

The door is built out of 2x2 by 1/8 wall square tubing. The door was easy to build took me 14 hrs. Getting it to work that took me a week. Now it works perfect

Here's my PA-12 on a very low trailer. It clears the 10-foot door header, but just barely.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC01949 small.jpg
    DSC01949 small.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 1,999
Actually, those are my leaky old floats. The 'plane is now on Clamar 2200's.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCN0329 small.JPG
    DSCN0329 small.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 1,985

Trying not to hijack the thread, but anyone about to build a new hangar or replace an old door will certainly look at this thread.

Glen, You show a really nice door and the type I had initially planned for my new hangar. After some research I learned that type of door places a tremendous load on the building.

This link shows the best design I've been able to find, others build something similar, but end result is no additional load on the building that may already have wind and snow loading. There are a few other benefits that anyone interested can research on the site. The lock up is also super and handled with no additional moving parts, I think you'll be impressed. A dear friend has this type and it's really awesome. http://www.hpdoors.com

Just called th folks at hp doors, 14x 48 door is 10300.00 plus shipping. Very nice people to talk to, told me a 43x13 was the same price so big is better in this case.

That does look like a really nice door but I must add - I got a quote this summer for the same 48x14 sized door from Hi-Fold for around 4400 dollars. That is a pretty big difference.

Bill

That does look like a really nice door but I must add - I got a quote this summer for the same 48x14 sized door from Hi-Fold for around 4400 dollars. That is a pretty big difference.

Bill

Hi-Fold makes both hydraulic doors and bi-fold, which were you quoted? $4400 sounds pretty low for either but especially so if it was a hydraulic lift.

Kent

Hard to beat no loss of headroom (12' ceiling, you can get something 12' high in there) and no intrusion into the building, and a absolute minimum of parts, of a single part hyd. lifted door. I love my two hydro swings but all the other designs look good also, more then one way to skin a cat. I have two large 5' x5' south facing real glass windows in my 19' wide shop hydro, too much free winter heat from the solar gain and too good a view to pass up. The single piece doors seem easier to mod this way.

I have the door all set and adjusted now it works very well. ,but yes this type you loose head room!!

http://www.powerliftdoors.com/main/powerlift-doors-at-ricks-welding/

Just installed one of these, like it alot. Check for your closest dealer.

I just had one installed yesterday also, mine came out of the Wray, CO location. Looks very nice now that the building guys have it covered. I actually haven't seen it operate yet as work kept me away from the building site for about 5 minutes too long and I missed the test when they were operating with a generator��

I've got three higher power doors on my hangar, 45', 55', and 75'. Totally self supporting as in zero load on the hangar. Super pleased. When I build my hangar in Alaska next year it will get a higher power door. They are the best hands down. FYI they can build them up to 150'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have a 16X60 HP door. Zero stress on the building as all force is on the floor. Set it up so closing time is the same as opening time. About 45 seconds. Only complaint is door operates VERY slowly in cold temps. Hangar is unheated and is in WI. -8F today. Heating the hydraulic tank may help. Also the external truss may be considered unsightly by some. It also requires painting thus some maintenance. I would probably go with an aluminum Wilson electric bi-fold if I had to do it over. However, you do lose a foot of clearance with the bi-fold.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 330
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 454
Last edited:
Or else replace your summer weight hyd. oil with a winter weight oil, (too much hassle), or maybe some thermostatically controlled heat tape with insulation over it to keep that res tank. cozy. The little pumps for sure slow down when the oil thickens. My HydroSwing noticeably slows when the hangar drops to mid 40's (coldest it ever gets in there) but not enough to be a issue. At 8 below, I'd be heating that reservoir tank. Probably 20 to 30 watts would do it, with some of that foil bubble wrap insulation

Have a 16X60 HP door. Zero stress on the building as all force is on the floor. Set it up so closing time is the same as opening time. About 45 seconds. Only complaint is door operates VERY slowly in cold temps. Hangar is unheated and is in WI. -8F today. Heating the hydraulic tank may help. Also the external truss may be considered unsightly by some. It also requires painting thus some maintenance. I would probably go with an aluminum Wilson electric bi-fold if I had to do it over. However, you do lose a foot of clearance with the bi-fold.
I had the same issue with winter door speed here in northeast Minnesota (-30F as I write). At work, the loading dock levelers didn't work well in the cold. Checked manufacturer's fluid recommendations (5606 aircraft hyd oil), did followup research on hydraulic, ATF, snow plow, and 5606 hyd oil. Big difference in cold weather viscosities, now have 5606 in my door and life is good!

Back