• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Hanger door

Have a 16X60 HP door. Zero stress on the building as all force is on the floor. Set it up so closing time is the same as opening time. About 45 seconds. Only complaint is door operates VERY slowly in cold temps. Hangar is unheated and is in WI. -8F today. Heating the hydraulic tank may help. Also the external truss may be considered unsightly by some. It also requires painting thus some maintenance. I would probably go with an aluminum Wilson electric bi-fold if I had to do it over. However, you do lose a foot of clearance with the bi-fold.

how much headroom do you lose with this door? My hangar s 11'9" inside. But can't get the Super Cub on amphibious thru the door. Old bifold design.

how much headroom do you lose with this door? My hangar s 11'9" inside. But can't get the Super Cub on amphibious thru the door. Old bifold design.
My opening for the door is 16' 6". Clearance with the door open is 16'. So a loss of 6" with the higher power door. I lose 1foot with a bi-fold on the other hangar. 12' opening for a clearance of 11'.

There is no loss to side clearance since the supports are inside the door. You can give higher power doors your rough opening dimensions and they will tell you your clearances. They are very helpful.

I have noticed some bifold doors have a hinged bar with a roller on each side. The bar drops as the door opens and is restrained by a chain. This supports the mid-hinge of the door and allows the door bottom to be pulled up higher, what looks to be an extra foot or so. Can this be done as an add on to get some extra height in the opening of an existing door? This video was the only picture I could find and it doesn't really show how the lift goes higher with the arms. jrh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7Oprf6YJ18

Consider making some type of securing method to keep the plane from tipping while on the rail system.

They can go nose up, or down if you put a block under the step, which changes the tail elevation

I have noticed some bifold doors have a hinged bar with a roller on each side. The bar drops as the door opens and is restrained by a chain. This supports the mid-hinge of the door and allows the door bottom to be pulled up higher, what looks to be an extra foot or so. Can this be done as an add on to get some extra height in the opening of an existing door? This video was the only picture I could find and it doesn't really show how the lift goes higher with the arms. jrh

Hi-fold Doors builds what you are talking about. I have installed one for myself and helped on a couple others. Nice door and would do it again.

Doug

My opening for the door is 16' 6". Clearance with the door open is 16'. So a loss of 6" with the higher power door. I lose 1foot with a bi-fold on the other hangar. 12' opening for a clearance of 11'.
I have used several Wilson doors over the years. As I recall they recommend a minimum of 3 -4 feet between the top and bottom of the door when it is open to prevent it from collapsing over on itself. Consider that when that base of the triangle gets too small it will not have enough strength to overcome gravity which is trying to collapse the door. This is why a bifold door needs to be installed on the outside of the building in order to conserve the full opening height.

That brace which N86250's video shows will allow the door to be opened further without risk of collapsing since the arm is supporting the outer heavy edge of the door.

The door in slackass's picture looks to be the best for maximum opening height without mounting outside the building.

I have one of these doors and quite frankly quite disappointed compared to the other brand, I see the logic with the hanging arms, it creates a secondary wedge and the 'main' rollers leave the column. My door was designed for 14' clearance, but there is mechanical interference at 13'6" between the internal braces on the top / bottom halves of the door. I burnt a motor out discovering this, and had the pleasure of removing a motor in the fully up position.

I prefer the bifold over hydraulic - way less risk of damaging a parked vehicle outside, you still get a nice shade awning. I prefer using 36" as the smallest wedge, beyond that I see too much distortion in the doors (especially if you have a man-door one side). So if you want 15' clearance, order a 18' door with a 36" wedge.

Don

How much insulation do you have in the door? It looks like there isn't any insulation where the steel structure is.

I've got three higher power doors on my hangar, 45', 55', and 75'. Totally self supporting as in zero load on the hangar. Super pleased. When I build my hangar in Alaska next year it will get a higher power door. They are the best hands down. FYI they can build them up to 150'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just an FYI, I'm still planning on going with the Higher Power if I can ever decide on the hangar plans. My last conversation with them revealed that 70' is a magic number for them. Above that and he engineering changes and pushes the price up quite a bit per linear foot. If memory serves it was like a 20% increase to go to 75' over 70. Just something to keep in mind. I was actually planning on roughly 90' until I found out this info. Figured I could make do with a 70 footer.

Sounds like a really low $ for a hydraulic lift door. Have installed most types of doors, all have pros and cons, con to the hi-fold is that it actually returns into your building space when it goes up. Have to be sure to keep lights, etc out of the way. Good Luck! Getting started on foundations this week if it stops raining!! FX3 on order!

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

IMG_0968.JPG

40’ powerlift just installed this winter. Also foam insulation, in 4 days of 15 degree temps, 100,000 btu heater used 5 gallon kerosene to maintain 55 degrees. 50/60 hangar/shop/toy shed

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_0968.JPG
    IMG_0968.JPG
    183.9 KB · Views: 196
Back