• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Orginal Super Cub Stripes + Decals

ron

Wanaka,NZ
Guys, trying to get some stripes like this cub, does anyone know where to get these? I realise you can have these things made, but am after Original quality / look.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-01-13 at 10.54.04 am.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-13 at 10.54.04 am.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 3,324
+1 on Aerographics. I haven't personally applied any of their full scale exterior stripes, but several of the warbird and RV folks I know have had excellent results. I've had excellent service and results from their placard decals. The image you posted of TF-KAJ looks like the factory paint scheme from ~1963-1975, one of their best. The Aerographics catalog shows a very similar scheme in the PA-18 section; I'd bet they can easily match what you want.

Please let us all know how this works out.

Thanks. cubscout

I've also had very good results using http://www.avgrafix.com/. This guy is pretty busy doing the graphics for C130 refurbs for the military, but did a very nice job for me. I used vinyl stripes on my glass plane and vinyl masking for paint on my SC clone with the smaller decals done in vinyl.

-Cub Builder

Cut/have cut a hard stencil for the curvy bits and the registration, mark out with a pencil using a straight edge for the straight bits and - mask with 'fine line' tape, narrow for the curvy bits - mask the wider area - then spray.
It takes patience but I found it well worth the time to achieve a 'factory finish'.
I also found that trying to fix a self adhesive stencil on a vertical surface did not work (expensive too) as it sagged and distorted - drawing out and masking worked perfectly.

Frank

We used Aerographics paint masks for the numbers and roundels on the L-21. Big problems with residue on Polytone. I don't think it is an Aerographics issue, it's just what Polytone does. Would be no problem at all on anything shiny.

Cut/have cut a hard stencil for the curvy bits and the registration, mark out with a pencil using a straight edge for the straight bits and - mask with 'fine line' tape, narrow for the curvy bits - mask the wider area - then spray.
It takes patience but I found it well worth the time to achieve a 'factory finish'.
I also found that trying to fix a self adhesive stencil on a vertical surface did not work (expensive too) as it sagged and distorted - drawing out and masking worked perfectly.

Frank

It takes a bit of practice, but I found the large vinyl stencils to be pretty easy once I figured out how, and made sure everything was wet and soapy before I applied them. Made it easy to move them around and adjust as necessary. On the Cub, I just used the stencils as masking for the 12" numbers on the sides. On the other plane, I applied vinyl trim as finish. Both worked really well. For the strips on my Cub, I used fine line edging tape and masking overlapping the edge tape. That also worked really well and costs next to nothing.

-Cub Builder

The cubs paint job in the first post is an attempt at duplicating the original 66 design; but the striping especially on the cowling is way off.
There is a cub for sale in Alaska that is a 1966 with original fabric and has always been hangered according to the ad.

Check out the photos to see what an original layout was like. I wish that I owned it to restore but he wants too much.
https://anchorage.craigslist.org/avo/d/1966-piper-super-cub/6754107407.html

We used Aerographics paint masks for the numbers and roundels on the L-21. Big problems with residue on Polytone. I don't think it is an Aerographics issue, it's just what Polytone does. Would be no problem at all on anything shiny.

IMG_1509.jpg

64fc5255a473ecc26ac5e07745c19d84.jpg

I used aerographics paint masks too. Didn’t have any problem with it sticking too much to the poly tone. The red is ranthane, white is polytone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• IMG_1509.jpg
    IMG_1509.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 249
The cubs paint job in the first post is an attempt at duplicating the original 66 design; but the striping especially on the cowling is way off.
There is a cub for sale in Alaska that is a 1966 with original fabric and has always been hangered according to the ad.

Check out the photos to see what an original layout was like. I wish that I owned it to restore but he wants too much.
https://anchorage.craigslist.org/avo/d/1966-piper-super-cub/6754107407.html

My cowl was factory original. The bullet on both sides was a different size and shape. I make templates of the old ones. They were not at the same height on both sides.
220e28b9261767d0c57b1821c3203602.jpg

When I asked for the paint masks for the supercub on the cowl they were a lot smaller. The bigger ones were original on my airplane.

There is no drawing for that paint scheme. This is what I ended up with

7a95836b16c8fb805f2e0c1fdde4b71c.jpg

My cowl was factory original. The bullet on both sides was a different size and shape. I make templates of the old ones. They were not at the same height on both sides.
220e28b9261767d0c57b1821c3203602.jpg

When I asked for the paint masks for the supercub on the cowl they were a lot smaller. The bigger ones were original on my airplane.

There is no drawing for that paint scheme. This is what I ended up with

7a95836b16c8fb805f2e0c1fdde4b71c.jpg

Im pretty sure I.have an original blueprint of that paint scheme.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SuperCub.Org mobile app

So how do I find out what my 1956 super cub was painted like from the factory? There must be someone with a picture/record?

I'd recommend Aerographics even if you're just adding tail numbers,
instead of your local graphics place.
I think Spruce likely gets the numbers they sell from Aerographics,
but they only catalog 3" or 12" and in only a few colors.
Aerographics
offers different sized numbers, correctly spaced, in numerous fonts and about a zillion colors.
As I recall, my 2" numbers were $28 including S&H, and they were delivered in less than a week.

I dont usually like vinyl graphics on fabric, however I have used some 2" numbers on the tail. Local graphics can make them anyway you want. Size, height, spacing and font. Had them in 2 days

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Aerographics was real good about getting it the way I wanted. I emailed my graphics with dimensions, they imported and sent it back to me for approval. After some minor adjustments, all I had to do was call with a credit card. Very good to work with.

Aerographics was real good about getting it the way I wanted. I emailed my graphics with dimensions, they imported and sent it back to me for approval. After some minor adjustments, all I had to do was call with a credit card. Very good to work with.

Same when I got the supercub for the cowl, told them it was too small, they sent 4 more for no charge. I used them as well for my instrument panel, wing roots throttle panel and fuel, trim and the other one. Matte clear coat over the top, and they turned out fantastic. They were great to work with. Lots of changes back and forth.
07c8841ea81ab68574764c15cf90d9eb.jpg

Same when I got the supercub for the cowl, told them it was too small, they sent 4 more for no charge. I used them as well for my instrument panel, wing roots throttle panel and fuel, trim and the other one. Matte clear coat over the top, and they turned out fantastic. They were great to work with. Lots of changes back and forth.
07c8841ea81ab68574764c15cf90d9eb.jpg

Fantastic looking panel [emoji41][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Back