• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Pa-12 SA660AL Sullivan long flap stc

ozone

Calabogie, Ontario
Rebuilding one of my wings and trying to decide if it's worth installing the long flaps and aileron moved outboard. I currently have the short flaps and Sullivan wing extension. It's almost a no brainer to do this mod but I have heard that to do this mod requires square tail feathers. I have the round supercub tail and don't want to change this.
Does anyone know exactly how the stc reads? Just wondering if using the enlarged supercub tail instead of square feathers would satisfy.
I know you guys in the US can use 337's to deviate but I live in Canada and we don't have that option.

I have talked to Ron Sullivan and he doesn't seem to think I should worry about it. I guess back in the day there was some paperwork confusion during the approval and the faa for some reason added that in.

It's really about how your IA reads the stc.

If there's a question you might want to consider canceling your insurance because they will look for anything they can to keep from paying a claim.

I have the STC for the square tail feathers and it requires the other stc's. SA 570AL, Square tail requires "must be installed in conjunction with D&N stc SA 476AL wing tip installation." I don't have that stc, so I can't use the square tail stc without it. Also if you want to do the square feathers you have to buy them from F Atlee Dodge as they have Ron's drawings and won't sell,a copy of them and Ron said he didn't have the drawings. so just be aware you will be out close to $3000.00 to do the square tail and buy the stc and shipping.

Airframes also stocks the squared tail feathers for use with the Sullivan STC. Check their website.

Wasn't aware they had the drawings from Ron, if they in fact don't have the drawings they don't have anyway to prove there parts conform. I'm not disputing that they are the same as Dodges, but no proof without the drawings.

I did the long flaps without the square tail... my FAA guy said no big deal, many of their (D&N) STC's try to tie(sell) you their other STC's... was a field approval... also didn't use their wing tips, used Dakota's tips...

Field approvals are invalid in Canada Mike, that's what Ozone is after. We live in a clear STC or nothing world here unfortunately. Any airplane brought into Canada with field approvals has to be stripped back to type certificate before it flies again.

Thanks everyone for your input. Ron says depending on what engine stc you have most require a PA-18 tail. The flap mod requires a square tail so now you have a conflict. There is a statement on the stc that the installer must determine what to do if there is a conflict.
Unfortunately I have the stoddard which doesn't mention the pa-18 tail. I am going to talk to transport canada and if all else fails I will keep the small flaps and and add vg's which I hear helps a lot for aileron control.

FWIW, I was told that the squares dont actually have any more square inches than the standard 18 elevators. He was someone who would actually know this fact but I dont remember who. As I have never measured or set the two side by side, I wont say its a fact or not. It would however make for an interesting little project for someone here and post results.

What about using the extended chord feathers with the round look from Atlee?

Back