• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

North East US to Anchorage AK spring 2016

Colorguns

PATRON
Bloomfield NY
Considering flight this spring to AK, anyone going mid April? I'm out of western NY can meet any where. Would like to be in Anchorage for Airmen Show. April 30th. Looking to join up for the trip. PA12
Or other times May-June?

I'll be flying my Super Cub from northern Indiana back up to Alaska this spring and interested in traveling with others. I likely won't be leaving until mid to late May. Probably too late for your plans, but PM me for more details.

Jim W

As you get further North in April, you are still in the icing season. Plan for extended WX delays.

As you get further North in April, you are still in the icing season. Plan for extended WX delays.

One of the reasons I plan on heading north in late May. On my recent trip from Alaska to the midwest this past October, frost was an issue and led to some pretty late starts in the mornings. Pilots I spoke with along the route also said that springs storms were less likely in May. What has been the experience of others flying up for the air show?

Jim W

Mid may things get really nice!!!

But if you time it well and use covers, april can have a couple of weeks of great weather put together

Then again, it could be snow every day.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

All of these pictures were taken on the way up to Anchorage in May of 2010 or 2012. First photo is between Whitecourt and Fox Creek. Second at Valley View just East of Grande Prairie. Third around Nelchina..

Attachments

• P5220538.JPG
    P5220538.JPG
    182 KB · Views: 1,960
  • P5230541.JPG
    P5230541.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 1,944
  • cubalaska 014.jpg
    cubalaska 014.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 1,920
Made the trip several times from upstate NY , the earlies was in May. The fastest was five days and the longest was eight days. I don't think I ever had a trip that I didn't lay over for wx. One early trip it was wind and turb. Most of the way. Wait for a wx window to open and go thru the mountains in a day if you can.
Call ANC customs from Whitehorse and get permission to stop in Tok for gas, there is a restruant across the street there. Then you continue to ANC. PM me if I can be of any help. Tom

Made the trip several times from upstate NY , the earlies was in May. The fastest was five days and the longest was eight days. I don't think I ever had a trip that I didn't lay over for wx. One early trip it was wind and turb. Most of the way. Wait for a wx window to open and go thru the mountains in a day if you can.
Call ANC customs from Whitehorse and get permission to stop in Tok for gas, there is a restruant across the street there. Then you continue to ANC. PM me if I can be of any help. Tom

Fast Eddy's in TOK. April in the Alaska Range = Storms. You can hit a Spring High every once in a while in the Interior of Alaska. Park your plane in Fairbanks and take the train or rental car down to ANC. Nice break from flying....

In May you could have everything from blistering sunshine to fog to some snow near the mtns. Be ready for anything. If you carry a cell phone, make sure it's set up to work in Canada; not all are. The exchange rate US$ to CAN$ is good now so you'd be ok flying across Canada instead of crossing the border in Montana/Washington somewhere, but gas is ridiculously high in Canada regardless. Get a Canadian supplement; they're great. Remember that Canada does not allow nighttime VFR, at least last I knew they still didn't. I have always carried a can of gas in the back seat of my PA-12 when flying to or from AK to the lower 48 and have had to use it almost every time due to strong headwinds somewhere, especially when flying up the Cassiar Hwy. And most definitely Fast Eddies if/when you hit Tok. Also suggest a stop in Atlin, BC south of Whitehorse. One of the crown jewels of the north. If you land in Atlin and need help, find Gary Thoma.

Last edited:
Plan now is to fly May 17th to the NRA convention in Louisville KY, I have to be in the booth for Turnbull MFG, and leave sat night or Sunday AM and head out from there. Going to FAi or ANC and around from there out to King Salmon and Illiama AK to meet friends, Then head back down to JC Idaho.
Have people to see in Hamilton MT, Missoula, and Kalispell, down to JC, Cody WY., then to Des Moines/Grinnell/Montezuma IA to see Brownells and then home. Getting back June 22 before my second grand child is born.

Doug

The Turnbull booth, eh? I'm guessing I know who you are then. I'm a PGCA life member and live in Fairbanks. If there's anything I can do for you here just say so. If you're going to King Salmon and Iliamna you'll likely go through Anchorage unless you want to see the Interior and Fairbanks.

IMG_5842 - Copy.JPGIMG_5663.jpg155.JPG

Turnbull Restoration and Manufacturing.

Many know me by the Bowler hat. Have been doing firearm restoration for about 30 years, having grown up in a gun shop in western NY and now "specialize in the accurate recreation of historical metal finishes on period firearms".

Looks like Ill be flying to Fairbanks and down the interior to Illiama and King then out through Anchorage. Hope to do the trench one way and the coast the other. See how it goes. My son in law is flying up commercial the 5th of June and flying around and then back with me home to NY.

Ridgerunner hope to meet up with you while in Fairbanks.
Doug

Attachments

• IMG_5842 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_5842 - Copy.JPG
    234 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_5663.jpg
    IMG_5663.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 245
  • 155.JPG
    155.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 263
180HP. Nice. Nice takedown '86 too. I hunt with a nice 1886 in .45-90. We need to make sure we get together when you get here.

Attachments

• IMG_2016 mail.jpg
    IMG_2016 mail.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 267
  • Reading on W River 9-14-14 mail.jpg
    Reading on W River 9-14-14 mail.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 240
  • Black Rapids Gl pan5 Mar 2014 mail.jpg
    Black Rapids Gl pan5 Mar 2014 mail.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 230
  • Iowa Ridge pan3 5-27-13 fixed mail.jpg
    Iowa Ridge pan3 5-27-13 fixed mail.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 246
Doug
Do not fly with WanaBNACub!!!!!!! There is not enough fuel in AK to keep up with Cory. :p I would make a back up plan to head North if weather will not let you go south.
DENNY

I will/plan to be leaving home the 17th of May to the NRA convention in Louisville KY and then to leave the 21 or 22 May and heading north with (Jim Woolington plans to fly up from Indiana) to either the trench or the highway to Fairbanks for some flying in the area till June 5TH when my son-in-law flies commercial up to meet up with me in FAirbanks, then moving down to Mt Denali and to Illiama and then to King Salmon and to my hunting area 65 miles South of that to the land of the Shoemakers, Phil and Rocky.
Plan then is to fly back to Anchorage area and down the coast and cross at Skagway over to Whitehorse and down from there.

Looking forward to Denny and Cory in May-June to get "shown" the area. As well as a Ridgerunner/Gary in the Fairbanks area too.

Plans look like I have to look at a collection in Cour D'Aleane and then go north. SO where do I do Customs into Canada north of there? In Creston CAJ3? or other better suggestions. Possibly Osoyoos CBB9? Then also hoping the weather is good fly the trench up.

Doug

I leave Tuesday the 17 May for the NRA Convention, Then 22 May I head for Idaho and north from there, you can track me on my Delorme InReach if you want. Plan is to get back for the JC flyin. See you there!

LINK: share.delorme.com/DougTurnbull

I set it up so I can receive and send messages.

Colorguns

Doug,
Better throw a fishing rod in for the Ware River, as your leaving Lake Mckenzie at this time in late May, and most likely stopping at Ft. Ware
To streach , I never saw such a run of Arctic Char /Dolly Varden anywhere as there is in that river in late May? Looks like a salmon run in Alaska, so much fish.They are just moving up into the river to feed I guess ? Smelts? Anyway would be world class fishing if they would bite?
Dont forget you got that "Cub Strip" just after the top of the pass , on the left hand side headed down stream as a backup , and there should be a caretaker at Scoop Lk incase weather gets sour down the valley.............. good strip there.
I will fallow ya on the Inreach link, and be in touch, fly safe n good luck!

Fort Graham Lodge is a great stop for fishing on Williston Lake going up the trench just before Fort Ware,We just stopped there last Sunday on our way back from Valdez and the Airmans. I going there on Sunday, the ice has come off the lake early this year. Yes they do bite this time of year. If you have to come through Fort St John get in touch. We Cross at Porthill Echart international (KlSl) i think and do Customs as there is a nice strip right at the border. We stop at Bonners Ferry ID Boundary County Airport and file and do phone call to cross the border.

Avoid Fort Ware and stop at Fort Graham. I got charged a $50 landing fee at Fort Ware -- don't know if it was legit or not... but was ripped off either way. Geordie who owns Fort Graham is a great guy.... tell him I said hi!

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
Getting packed. Off Tuesday morning. Stop in Ohio for gas and lunch, Charley Mckinney gave us use of his truck to go in town for lunch.
In Louisville KY till Saturday night then off to Whittmore for BBQ

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 327
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 278
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 260
The Logan Co airport in Lincoln IL. Museum image.jpg
At Wittemore for lunch image.jpg

Crossing the river near Peoriaimage.jpg

In Algona Snap Onimage.jpg

waiting for the wind to die down then off to see Cliff at Vetterman exhaust in Hot Springs SD on Monday

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 245
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 252
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 258
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
Missouri River image.jpg
Clint at Vetterman exhaust image.jpg
Devils Tower. image.jpg
Bighorn Basin WYimage.jpg
off airport picture image.jpgimage.jpg
MT12 project in the works image.jpg

Had a day in Helena MT relaxing. Also Fixed broken trim wire to indicator

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 229
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 238
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 349
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 222
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 212
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 217
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 208
Doug, while you're in Helena you ought to take a side trip to the Montana Historical Society Museum. There are some historic rifles and pistols on display along with a lot of other Montana artifacts. One wing is dedicated to Charlie Russel originals too. My wife and I were there just last week - first time I'd been back there since the early 80s. It is right across the street from the capital. And Last Chance Gulch is interesting too and not far away.

Looking forward to to seeing you when you get a little farther on your trip. We've had a lot of rain the last week. Today is much better.

Always welcome at PAGS if you need safe harbor while in the vicinity of the coast.

Justin
907-209-0514

Doing customs at Northway then down to Birchwood today.
Haines a Junction image.jpg

Scoop Lake Outfitters SE corner on lake, on way through the trench. Great people , food , cabins place yo stop and stretch!!!
Darwin and Wendy to host you. image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 234
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 213
I will be in Haines sometime the 9th, and head back to work the 12th or morning of the 13th (early). Otherwise find me in Sitka! I plan on heading to the cabins on the 10th, great place to play on wheels up there, and see game. Feel free to join me.

Back