• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Straight Skis - Securing Brakes Calipers

Mush

FRIEND
I'm planning on switching back and forth from my straight skis and bushwheels this winter. I don't want to have to go through the trouble of bleeding my brakes all the time. That being said, I plan on leaving my brake calipers installed while on my Federal 2000 skis. What is the best way to secure them so they don't slide out? And yes, I already made spacers that go between the brake pads just in case I hit the brakes out of habit.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1837.JPG
    IMG_1837.JPG
    247.4 KB · Views: 894
I suppose you can get fancy but most guys put a zip tie or a piece of safety wire on the caliper. No special tools required when you need to put them back on with wheels.

Web

dodge made a aluminum spacer-retainer works great,no safety wire or tyes needed,for clevelands.

jr. :)

Mush just extend that piece of plywood down to the torque plate it will do both prevent the caliper to fall and hold the puck in place.

Black vinyl electricians tape. 5 or 6
wraps will hold the spacer and caliper in place. Don't worry about making it look pretty.

Drill a small hole through that little triangle plate that holds the calipers. Then run a zip tie through it around the calipers and your done.

Easier to put a plug in the brake fluid line and a cap on the caliper fitting. No need to bleed brakes, just add a little fluid after you reinstall.

Easier to put a plug in the brake fluid line and a cap on the caliper fitting. No need to bleed brakes, just add a little fluid after you reinstall.

I don't think this will work, every time I disconnect a brake line fluid runs out. I have never tried it so I don't know though. I have done the spacer with zip tie and I think that is the easy way. IMHO

Drill a small hole through that little triangle plate that holds the calipers. Then run a zip tie through it around the calipers and your done.

Now Steve, you know a lot of them come with that hole already there 8). If yours doesn't it should. Then using a slightly different spacer to match that hole and a tie wrap makes thing so much easier.

I made a wedge out of wood.....slip it between the pads....pull it out in the spring when you put your wheels back on....easy peasy

I have used the aluminum ones shown in the picture above from Atlee for the last 10+ years. Super easy on and off. They needed a little fine tuning with a grinder to make a perfect fit. I would get another set if I lost them.

This is the idea that I came up with a few years ago. They replace the missing rotors in case you hit the brakes and keep the calipers from fallling off. They are machined aluminum so they can be modified if needed.
I have a few extra sets if anyone needs them.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC00624.JPG
    DSC00624.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 640
This is the idea that I came up with a few years ago. They replace the missing rotors in case you hit the brakes and keep the calipers from fallling off. They are machined aluminum so they can be modified if needed.
I have a few extra sets if anyone needs them.

attachment.php
I have a set of these and they are great. I drilled a hole in them and clip them to the ski wire when not in use.

I take mine off every year when the skis go on so I can inspect/clean/service the assemblies for the next summer. That way I know they're good for next year. I never have an issue of losing fluid; you quickly cap and plug the fittings and tie wrap the line to the gear leg and you're done. When I put them back on in late spring I rarely lose more than a few drops of fluid and often don't even have to top the reservoirs.

I cut a piece of plywood and slid it in, wired it in place.

I like a piece of spacer between the pads, at some point I am going to hit brakes, so just be sure!

Aluminum ones are fancy, well done.

Back