• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Australian Experimental Build

ausj5

Hey Guys, long time listener, first time caller (well not really but it was a long time ago and I didn't contribute much)

Few details:
Work as a mechanic and pilot in Australia.
Have been involved in quite a few restorations and rebuilds of aircraft but never built from scratch.
Fly and look after a SC
~
Have never done much welding so thought it was time to learn.

Ive decided to build and have started on my own SC

~

Now, a couple questions....

There is some odd ball Tube sizes in the SC frame, is it common to replace these with a different size or to get a larger tube and machine down the outside diameter to suit?

attachment.php

For example Tube 10571 is made up of 7/8 x .035 which is ok, but a liner made from 51/64 x .035

Is there an advantage in buying the Northland drawings or will Buggs's Piper drawings get me by?

Attachments

• 11391423_10205350581137886_6471616967791381648_n.jpg
    11391423_10205350581137886_6471616967791381648_n.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_6176.jpg
    IMG_6176.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_6179.jpg
    IMG_6179.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 442
Buggs' should get you by. I don't think I ever found a print on Northland that Buggs didn't have and found some Buggs' that the Northland didn't have. The bonus with Christian's prints is they are referenced/searchable by name. So while having the Northland CD, I kept using SCUBproject to search, especially in the hangar from my smartphone away from my home computer. With as valuable as his prints are, throw some $$ to cover his hosting. Not alot, but some in appreciation of him doing it and his paying to have it available.

This is experimental. Keep some things in mind. You are the builder. You make the decisions. You make the engineering. Pocket engineering works pretty well in these simple machines. Remember, these prints are 1025 steel, we build almost universally in 4130 Chromolly steel which is X% stronger. (I used to know). So we overbuild while using the same dimensions. Piper did make some tubes, rosette welded within a tube. need/strength/availability/short run/design whatever. If you don't have the need, or if it's cheaper and available, put in a thicker and available piece that suits your need. There is no magic in their design and often you can make an adequate substitution. We have better engineering today and can more adequately design closer to need vs overbuild and strengthen found week points of yesteryear. That same bar you referenced is often missing/moved for a door on the left side too. Nothing magic about it, just don't go crazy. Keep it safe and good luck.

Good luck.

Welcome aboard Mate!!

I'm not exactly building a SC but I do use Christian's and Bill Rusk's post as the right way to do things...along with the excellent advise available here you can probably find the answer to most issues you might run into. Good luck on your build and don't be a stranger.

Thanks guys,

I'm an OK mechanic but not much of a design engineer, so ill be relying on people smarter than me for some of these design changes.

The tube I'm referring to is actually on the door side, and the original drawing calls for a 4130 tube and 4130 liner, I was just thinking of doubling the wall thickness of the tube and calling it a day?

On a side note I've decided to go with doors both sides, anyone have any advice on this?

Back