• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

What are the opinions on the Dakota underseat storage box

YAY, PILE ON RANDY!!:lol:
If I don't have passenger in back stick is pulled. I use seatbelt to hold down hinged seat back and cover over storage and use a net to keep anything from coming near the rear stick control. You need the 2,000lb upgrade tube to do this with the seatbelt. I do have to pull the seat and back cushion out if I want anything out of the rear storage. But mine are not anywhere near as nice as what you guys have.
DENNY

Randy,

Been there done that with a back pack. I second the Atlee stick cover, and cargo tie downs all of which Steve put in on the rebuild.

Add the tie downs and a bungee net to the seat back and you turn the cargo into a dog box.

Kirby

Ps. Santa needs to ask Randy for an early present!

Last edited:
Randy, was your seat back not pinned to the seat back tube? I bet Santa had to make a quick exit once on the ground. ;)

I have Randy's carbon fiber, and I made the seat bottom narrow, same width as the front seat. It's great, you can put bottles of water on the sides and get under it while flying.
Dakota cub is heavy.
Under seat storage
Dakota 4.7 lbs with seat bottom.
Cubcrafters 3.2 lbs. no seat bottom
Cf 15.4oz
Cf 1.76lbs total with seat bottom.

Do you have any pictures ? I've seen Randy's site but don't know if I could get away with the seat box and hinged seat kit on a certified plane.

Did you add just the seat storage? If you kept the original seat back, how did you make it work? I've always had issues removing the rear seat and trying to get the pins back realigned.

Thanks

30a3ccda820d6d6161fcd97ee31c9d34.jpg

I have installed a lock on the Dakota Cub box as well.
attachment.php

At first I wondered why the lock, then I got to thinking it might be handy for securing a handgun away from curious little hands. Along with the increase in concealed handgun permits (a good thing), there unfortunately seems to be an increase in reports on the news of little kids finding mom or dad's car gun & shooting their sibling with it.

I do wonder why the divided LH/RH box? I don't see a turnbuckle or anything on the cable running through under that area that you'd need access for. A full-sized box will allow more flexibility on stashing long / bulky stuff in there.

Easier to make since it is broken up aluminum instead of molded plastic or carbon fiber. Plus the aluminum seat bottom might need the support of the two center pieces since it is fairly thin and light.

I can't tell from the pictures, how does the Dakota Cub box secure to the frame?

It drops in if memory serves me correctly the baggage floor is fastened over the rear edge of it. There are no fasteners in the box to airframe itself. The side panels, seat cushions and gravity pretty much hold it in place.

I really like mine but someday it will magically turn into carbon fiber and weigh half as much.

Last edited:
Thanks Steve. I need to make a new back seat base and considering adding some storage space while I'm at it.

I really like mine but someday it will magically turn into carbon fiber and weigh half as much.

The carbon fiber is amazingly light.
As Steve said the aft end slides under the baggage floorboard. I put some Velcro on the front seat tube, to help hold it down. I made the rear seat narrow, same width as the front and it’s handy being able to reach back and grab a water bottle out of the under seat storage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back