• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Letting Go

scout88305

SPONSOR
Northern Minnesota
Jacks two short weeks rubbed off on the new pup Toby. As deer and the trapping season approaches I am trying to get as much field time in with my new companion. What a tolerant dog Jack was with the new kid. This post is my way of recognizing a great dog, letting go, and starting new. Jack was a once in a life time Labrador for me. Got two mature birds this afternoon with 13 week old Toby. Very blessed.

Eric

Jack was a great dog and will always be remembered. They are our very best friends and will leave a hole in your heart when they have to go. Congrats on Toby. I hope to get up there soon and meet him.

P10106391.jpg

Eric and Jack

God Bless

Bill

I think all of us here have lost a dog that was more family than 'just a dog'. It is a hard for non dog owners to feel the pain and sorrow of losing a constant companion. Jack was one of a kind and I was sad to hear of his passing. Hopefully Toby has helped with the grieving and will partially fill the hole that Jack left.
Great photos as always my friend.

Eric:

So sorry for your loss. I know how it hurts, the memories last, but the tears won't.

This post made me sit back and think about what an amazing site this is. We share our loves, our losses, good times and bad with each other. We are not ashamed to cry over each other's tragedies. We also rejoice in the joys with friends we would never have known. Thank you Steve and Laura...You know not what you've created here.

Mike

Eric:

So sorry for your loss. I know how it hurts, the memories last, but the tears won't.

This post made me sit back and think about what an amazing site this is. We share our loves, our losses, good times and bad with each other. We are not ashamed to cry over each other's tragedies. We also rejoice in the joys with friends we would never have known. Thank you Steve and Laura...You know not what you've created here.

Mike

Amen

Dang Eric, I remember it wasn't that long ago you lost your last dog, but I can't remember his name. There is a thread here somewhere about him. Good lookin pup. My son had to give his yellow lab to his best friend that lives in the country, no room on an apartment in Dallas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eric, thinking of you and Jack. Always a difficult thing and coming in the fall is even worse. Glad to see you dove right back in though.

The old addage about "we don't own dogs, they own us" is so true.

Take care and rub Toby's belly for me.

Those of us who have lost our beloved companions never really let them go. All mine are with me every day and I'm so lucky to have their descendants still here with me to hunt grouse, woodcock and other things here in the northern Minnesota woods.

Pups are the best way to honor those great dogs we've lost. We heal and they thrive from the knowledge and wisdom we received from those that went before the newbies.

I only hope that I've been good enough to some day be reunited with them in what I think would be heaven shared with all of them.

Time to go grouse hunting!

Our time spent with these wonderful creatures that give us unconditional love and joy is much too short!

Thumbs up to every post in this thread. Several Labrador's were indispensable when I was raising Bobby and Brittany. Travel now precludes having one. But it takes me back in a second to read the posts.

attachment.php
Belle has about 400 flight hours now. I don't call home as much since she travels with me!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 467
Midnight turned 14 last week, it kills me already to think of what lies ahead, one of my best buddies ever
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2142.JPG
    IMG_2142.JPG
    253.9 KB · Views: 418
2 1/2 weeks ago I got home from 2 weeks in TX to find my dog had lost 15 pounds during my absence. She was skin and bones with a belly full of fluid. The vet didn't like her chances but I approved surgery to figure out what was wrong. She survived it. Today, although she still has staples on the full-length abdominal incision, Kinley's re-gained two-thirds of her weight and walked around Lake Hood like nothing ever happened. She's tougher than me. Thank God for good veterinarians and small miracles.

Back