• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

helmets

Any benefit using the DC flight deck helmet over the K10, thinking lighter, more ventilation?

I think DC helmet is already a compromise to a full fledged helmet safety wise and it has a well ventilated harness. I am in Alaska but haven't felt too hot in it. I think dropping the full protective shell would be a great loss in crashworthiness without much comfort gain or cost savings.

I once saw a really nice PELTOR Rally helmet that the owner added a Gentex visor to. It already is wired for communication, probably not the correct impedance but it is designed for communication system. anybody have an image of the one i'm referring to?

The have the K10 which is what most of us refer to when talking about the DC helmet, then they have a Flight Deck helmet, which is just a bump guard, basically looks like a harness to hold the headphones, then separate forehead and rear solid panels.

I am not an expert.
My experience from over 20 years building helmets for a living tells me I know what I don't know about aircrew helmets.

A well designed helmet can reduce the risk of catastrophic injury and death in sport. The wrong helmet can be worse than no helmet.
I have not found a helmet standard that is written to specifically address the mechanism of injury in a cub like crash.

Some things to think about:

Keeping your head from hitting things is good, with or without a helmet.
Don't crash; easily said by a guy who flies for fun.
Use your head, train with the best instructor you can find, practice and setting limits are good steps to reducing your exposure to crashing.
Aircraft choice. I will say it. Not all planes are created equal and not all pilots are the same size. Big pilot/small plane may not be a good combination. Distance between your head and hard objects with or without a helmet is your friend in a crash.
Using well made shoulder, lap and center straps that are attached to something strong like the airframe is another defense from keeping you from hitting your head.
If you use a helmet be aware of a few things:
Heat fatigue is real danger in the summer.
Just because it looks like a helmet does not make it a helmet.
Watch out for the "gladiator effect". The gladiator effect theory is when one becomes emboldened by safety equipment. Skiing is a good example. Ski helmet usage goes up, minor head injury goes down but catastrophic injury and death rates go up. Why?

The Peltor helmet mentioned by Glenn above meets some interesting standards that include a roll cage impact and are tested with the headset installed. But the Peltor looks hot as hell. The 275 g standard used on the Peltor will nock most of us out cold and kill a few of use. Better than the K10 but what is better?

I can't find the thread but I recall reporting after weighing my Gallet and DC w/headsets that the Gallet was lighter. How heavy is a Gentex?

My Gentex SPH-5 with single visor and 8" 174 cord is 2 lbs 14 oz. It also has a small, battery-powered LED light, but I suspect that only weighs an ounce.

Last edited:
I am not an expert.
My experience from over 20 years building helmets for a living tells me I know what I don't know about aircrew helmets.

A well designed helmet can reduce the risk of catastrophic injury and death in sport. The wrong helmet can be worse than no helmet.
I have not found a helmet standard that is written to specifically address the mechanism of injury in a cub like crash.

Some things to think about:

Keeping your head from hitting things is good, with or without a helmet.
Don't crash; easily said by a guy who flies for fun.
Use your head, train with the best instructor you can find, practice and setting limits are good steps to reducing your exposure to crashing.
Aircraft choice. I will say it. Not all planes are created equal and not all pilots are the same size. Big pilot/small plane may not be a good combination. Distance between your head and hard objects with or without a helmet is your friend in a crash.
Using well made shoulder, lap and center straps that are attached to something strong like the airframe is another defense from keeping you from hitting your head.
If you use a helmet be aware of a few things:
Heat fatigue is real danger in the summer.
Just because it looks like a helmet does not make it a helmet.
Watch out for the "gladiator effect". The gladiator effect theory is when one becomes emboldened by safety equipment. Skiing is a good example. Ski helmet usage goes up, minor head injury goes down but catastrophic injury and death rates go up. Why?

The Peltor helmet mentioned by Glenn above meets some interesting standards that include a roll cage impact and are tested with the headset installed. But the Peltor looks hot as hell. The 275 g standard used on the Peltor will nock most of us out cold and kill a few of use. Better than the K10 but what is better?

On the subject of helmets, Bill.Brine brings up some great points about crashworthiness and helmet usage.
I posted this link in another thread about crash injuries in a Cub...
But in case you didn't read that thread...some interesting research in an FAA link concerning restraints, helmets and cockpit structure in agricultural airplane mishaps.,
Its interesting to me how much restraints stretch, or the human body...to enable them to impact lethal objects inside the airplane.
A simple roll of soft aluminum on the top of the panel might save you life...even if using a helmet and decent restraints.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...15.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEClHXbRvzVAAyHt2mPhfF7yzyXtw

attachment.php
Gallet LH 250 and love it, but it's pricey. No snarky comments about the wife not having one yet.

Attachments

• 2015-08-14 13.34.55.jpg
    2015-08-14 13.34.55.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 3,665
Sold my Gentex, heavy and hot most times of the year.

Get what is comfortable so you wear it. Cost is not a factor for something that will last 10 plus years and thousands of hours.

attachment.php

(I don't always head south with a cub, but when I do, I make sure it is freezing a$$ cold!)

George,

Is that the new strapless head suction helmet :)

It's got a suction cup in it to stick on his bald head. Lol. I've got one too........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a groove in the padding in the Comtronics that allows the headband to fit into it. The headband on my DC noise canceling is a little wider than the groove but it works anyway. I plan to snip a little plastic off the front and rear of the headband soon to insure a better fit. I've only used it a few hours but like it so far. I see no way to fasten the headset into the helmet without some jury rigging. I just remove the helmet and put the headset into it and hang it from the v brace when parked. Got it from Spruce. You have a choice of d-rings or plastic snaps for the chin strap. Visor is included. They're cheap so......how much impact they will take is something I wonder about.

Im new to helmets. But this thread and others plus flying with some guys that all had helmets this summer got me to wondering. So I bought a Comtronics helmet direct. They say it'll fit the Zulu headset and I tried it out today. With the headset on first the helmet slips right over it and as mentioned above there is a groove in the padding that fits around the top band.

Ill get get some more hours on it before I'm convinced but so far I like it.

I had not seen the Comtronics before.

Bill, any chance you have seen them and have an opinion? I like the built in visor, (bronze available), and the half shell. Using your own headset without taking an hour to install is great.

Im new to helmets. But this thread and others plus flying with some guys that all had helmets this summer got me to wondering. So I bought a Comtronics helmet direct. They say it'll fit the Zulu headset and I tried it out today. With the headset on first the helmet slips right over it and as mentioned above there is a groove in the padding that fits around the top band. Ill get get some more hours on it before I'm convinced but so far I like it.
Which model did you purchase?

George if you are asking me about the Comtronics helmet I cannot tell much about impact attenuation properties by reading the website. It appears that Comtronics is more of a noise attenuation helmet than a crash helmet. No mention of meeting any helmet standard is made in the literature. Also with a half inch of "semi rigid foam" I don't image that impact attenuation is this helmets primary design goal. I could be wrong.
From the website: "All Comtronics helmets have a half inch semirigid foam liner..."

Last edited:
Earlier this week I flew a friend two states away to pick up his Sirrus. A 38 minute Sirrus flight was almost 2 hour wonder around the sky at or below 1,000 feet in the Husky; I think he had more fun on the Husky leg of the flight.

My Sirrus driving friend mentioned that he had not warn a headset in years having switched to the Halo in ear system with great results in comfort and noise attenuation. This had me thinking that the ridged ear cups of aviation headsets may cause more harm than good in a side load crash.
The military found that the rigid ear cups in helicopter helmets cause skull fractures in some types of crashes; the military changed the standard as a result of the study and now the cups inside aircrew helmets are softer to reduce the chance of skull fracture.
I also recall a study that looked at increased skull fracture on shortie style motorcycle helmets. Seems the shortie helmets shell rolls over on impact resulting in a skull fracture. Having a rigid piece of material next to the side of your skull is not a good idea.

Long winded way of saying maybe trying to cram headsets into a helmet is not a good idea. Why not put Halo style ear plugs on then slip on a full length Motorsport helmet?

Intuativly I like this idea but have no data to support the concept.

I'd assume a hard shell and a half inch of liner foam would be better than nothing.
Without testing we cannot tell.
How much does the helmet weigh? What is the shell made of and how thick? What is the "semi rigid" material and what density?

Someone posted a picture of an enterprising designer who built a plane in a third world country; it looked a lot like a plane but did not fly.

Just because something looks like a helmet does not make it a helmet.

Last edited:
Go whack your head on you plane's tubes during moderate or greater turbulence. That's a test many of us have conducted and a bump helmet beats the crap out of nothing.

The advice to wear a motorcycke helmet that's designed to absorb energy from contact with the ground isn't applicable to airplane helmet requirements but it would be better than nothing. Same same.

Go whack your head on you plane's tubes during moderate or greater turbulence. That's a test many of us have conducted and a bump helmet beats the crap out of nothing.

The advice to wear a motorcycke helmet that's designed to absorb energy from contact with the ground isn't applicable to airplane helmet requirements but it would be better than nothing. Same same.

agreed. A bump helmet is good at bumps.

To reduce the chance of catastrophic injury or death something more may or may not be needed.
I am no expert.

I had a nice conversation with the former owner of SportTech hemets a couple of days ago. His helmets were similar appearing to the Commtronics but the shells were specific to the headset brand to be used and the headset was retained in the helmet shell. That's what Scooter has and it's a darn nice helmet, but the gentleman never had them tested for crash compliance ($$$). Instead there was a disclaimer that stated it was not a crash helmet. That doesn't mean it isn't a good helmet for Cub type flying. The notion that a military helicopter crew helmet is required is probably overkill. Anyway, SportTech is out of business because the owner retired but he indicated he'd sell the business for an attractive price, if anyone here wants to take on a business endeavor. I'd buy one.

I have a Comtronics. I liked it pretty well until I got a sweet deal on a Gallet with ANR from Rob. Now the Comtronics goes on the back seater.

agreed. A bump helmet is good at bumps.

To reduce the chance of catastrophic injury or death something more may or may not be needed.
I am no expert.

I bought an old hockey helmet... Threw it in the CNC and cut out the earholes for my headset. A ratchet strap and the headset isn't going anywhere?

Do you think this will be ok, even though you are not an expert?

Tim

Occasionally an ad for the Medallion Foundation (https://medallionfoundation.org/#) pops up on my screen when I'm reading the online Anchorage newspaper. This ad shows a crunched up helmet that looks a lot like one of the David Clark helmets and headsets.

The text in the ad reads: "Prepare for the worst", "Helmets save lives", "Wearing a helmet and shoulder harness is part of 'Off-airport' decision making and risk management"

Does anyone know the story about that helmet?

Jim W

Last edited:
I believe the helmet in the Medallion ad was worn by one of cub pilots that was in that midair last winter by Wasilla.

I bought an old hockey helmet... Threw it in the CNC and cut out the earholes for my headset. A ratchet strap and the headset isn't going anywhere?

Do you think this will be ok, even though you are not an expert?

Tim

One of my oldest friends was married for many years to a very respected neurosurgeon. When her husband drove around town he wore a football helmet.

Back