• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

helmets

driveacub

eagle river
I have three Dave Clark headsets, but am thinking about wearing a crash helmet. What options do I have in purchasing a helmet that will work/fit properly with those headsets?

The DC helmet is the best option for integrating DC headsets. The girls at NLA will install the headset into the helmet if you ask nicely.

I have two of the DC helmets, they work well with the DC headsets, require some major modification to work with others, I could not get them to work with Lightspeeds without cutting quite a chunk out of the helmet. Got mine for $350 on Aircraft spruce and painted it black. I find them cool enough in the summer and warm enough in the winter to wear all the time. Once you headset is in it, you'll always wear it, you don't notice it that much, got mine before I started taking lessons, and have never flown without it.

Summary of arguements from previous threads: they are not crash-rated helmets, more bump protection, but light enough not to snap your neck either, comparatively cheap, and better than nothing

A search will bring up some other options that require modification of snowboard, biking, pro-tec helmets. While not a true crash helmet, the DC does meet Military specifications for blunt and sharp object penetration, and reduces some G forces of impact. I trust the tough shell of the DC over the styrofoam based bike like helmets, seem far more durable.

You can get a helicopter helmet off E-bay and cut the ear cups out. Makes a great helmet and has drop down sun visor you can adjust to see under it and look at the dash. Heavier than a david clark but the visor is worth it. I will PM you my number you can stop by my hanger and check it out.
DENNY

A long time ago I saw a DC helmet save a life, Call-Air went straight into a swamp, Ruined the helmet - saved a life.

A long time ago I saw a DC helmet save a life, Call-Air went straight into a swamp, Ruined the helmet - saved a life.

3 years ago a good friend of mine had a bad accident taking off from the Rohn Strip. It was a terrible impact. After looking at the wreck, it was hard to imagine surviving. He was wearing a DC helmet. Broke the helmet in half, but not a scratch on his head. He walked away from the wreck and slept in his own bed that night. Nobody gets in his cub anymore without wearing a helmet.

3 years ago a good friend of mine had a bad accident taking off from the Rohn Strip. It was a terrible impact. After looking at the wreck, it was hard to imagine surviving. He was wearing a DC helmet. Broke the helmet in half, but not a scratch on his head. He walked away from the wreck and slept in his own bed that night. Nobody gets in his cub anymore without wearing a helmet.
I bought a navy deck helmet off eBay for 45.00, my DC fit right in no mods. It's the kind of cloth hat and two separate plastic plates with foam backing. Then bought two Deck Helmets with headset in them , they are the DC white one piece ones. It took a bit to rewire and refit them. I replaced the ear speakers to match the impedance of civil radios. I also changed the mike and bought some wireing everything from the internet about $90.00 and $65.00 for the helmet, works great.

Gallet helo helmets are probably the best, but they are godawful expensive. There are others: I nabbed a Gentex SPH-5 off of ebay for $100 about ten years ago. There are several variants with either one or two visors (mine has one), holes for NVG mounts and either single-plug helicopter cord, dual aircraft cord or military. I really like having that visor so I can wear my normal glasses under it and still have an excellent sun shade. The visors are replacable; there are gradient, gray and amber visor lenses for low contrast conditions.

If you go that route, make sure it has either helo or civilian headsets in it or you will have to replace that to use it in your cub. I believe that the impedance is different in the military application.
Another model is the HGU-56. Mine has the helo cord, but an adapter will easily fix that. There are different sizes, of course, so if you're buying on-line, you need to be sure you can return it if it doesn't fit.

These are heavier than the Dave Clark helmets, but I figure that a cub flies more in that type of environment than anything else. I've worn mine for up to five hours. In the summer, that gets fairly warm, but in winter it's pretty nice. Mine has a TPL liner, which helps a lot. It's not going to be as comfortable as wearling a baseball cap and headphones, but if something bad happens, you only need it once. I wouldn't consider riding a bike without a helmet, but of course, most of those are much faster than my -12.

I'd still like to see detail pictures of Lightspeed Zulus adapted into a DC helmet if one of you would be kind enough to post some.

By the way, after many years with a Gallet and a DC, my opinion is the difference between the Gallet and DC is less important than the difference between a good helmet and nothing at all. I know that DCs have served many accident pilots well. Would the Gallet save pilots in crashes where the DC would not? That's probably not statistically significant for Cub drivers. Wear what ya' got.

Last edited:
I've posted a Selfie before in these discussions but can't locate it. Ran out of Z headsets when Molly went back to school this semester and took two so I went picked up a set of DC's for a trip to the boonies and although the LS "fit" and I've used that configuration a lot, I'll admit the DC's do fit better because they capture the helmet liner in the ear seals where with the Z's you have to just slip them over the ear cups and they don't capture and with that the liner moves around so you have to tug em down when you put them on. Lately, I've been using a set of DC stereos in the helmet which do go on easier, are more comfortable with the helmet but are not near as quiet as the Z's.

Flog away,

ps, Pierce tells me he saw a helmet advertised that claims fit with Z's but I haven't seen it yet.

I didn't like how the Zulus fit in theDC helmet. They wouldn't stay in there. I ended up picking up a used military sph-4. I really like the fact it has a sun visor. Pretty handy. Sucks the lack of noise canceling though.
db149428b37d3537a411926299dbafe6.jpg

Scooter's got a nice composite shell that fits Zulus. I can't recall the mfg but I believe I was the first customer to call them on the day they closed up shop and went out of business. Too bad, it was a good option and I know Scooter's benefitted from wearing it. The next best thing I've come up with for Zulus is by Comtronics for about $200 but I've yet to order one and try to fit the headsets. See the third model down on this link. http://www.comtronics-aero.com/helmets.php

I've given up trying to fit Zulus into the DC helmet. It's a sucky relationship.

I was not happy with how much I had to cut out of the helmet to fit the Zulu's, I feel it compromised the helmet. Basically had to cut two slots in each side to allow the headband out far enough to fit my ears. I tried to cut a window but it was not enough. I think I could probably rivet something to strengthen it again but haven't yet. I did not have to cut the harness at all to fit the ear cups, just take the earcups off, stretch the harness over and snap the earcups back on. I have had no trouble with the earcups popping out of the harness. I love the bluetooth, noise cancelling and sound in the Zulu's though.

Attachments

• IMG_4013.jpg
    IMG_4013.jpg
    474.9 KB · Views: 449
  • IMG_4015.jpg
    IMG_4015.jpg
    385.5 KB · Views: 361
  • IMG_4022.jpg
    IMG_4022.jpg
    459.5 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG_4027.jpg
    IMG_4027.jpg
    408.6 KB · Views: 583
I wouldn't consider riding a bike without a helmet, but of course, most of those are much faster than my -12.

Not by much:p:lol:

I agree with Stuart: Wear what you have.

The progression of helmets went from full protection with a unit that would not be damaged, to what is standard today that the helmet is sacrificial, and a one time use.

Ski and motorcycle helmets are built to self destruct while dispersing energy, to protect the head inside. The ski helmets actually have material that go from slightly soft to hard on impact, hence the single use.

All the science is grand, and is nice to know.

Back to the important part: if it is not comfortable, (my GenTec was terrible hot and heavy without a double visor), it will not be worn.

Most fatal crash victims in cubs seem to be forehead impact. If you could get a hard hat to fit on your head and stay, it probably would do the job.

I have Clark helments, Clark headsets. Someday I think Lightspeeds would be nice, but every time I ask working pilots they tell me that every two years the LS go back to the factory. Here I am sometimes wearing my Clark set that I purchased when I started flying, used, over 30 years ago. My noise cancel set is almost 20 years old.

Stuart,
i have 2 of the Comteonics headsets at home. I've used them with the Comteonics headsets but never Bose or DC. They are from my powered parachute days. I'll try them when I get home and let you know fit. I have some Bose and DC to try.
Ive seen a few head banger PPC crashes where they were happy to have them on. Most guys wear them and they max out at 30mph. Slightly faster that a brisk walk. .....
but they were light and comfortable all summer.

Todd, can the headsets be affixed into the helmet so they stay together and are worn as a unit or do you put the helmet on over the headsets?

Thanks for your help.

Helmet goes over the headset. The ear straps and helmet push the headset on your ears just barely more that just wearing the headset alone. Not uncomfortable at all. Actually makes it a little quieter.

There's a groove in the padding in the Comtronics that allows the headband to fit into it. The headband on my DC noise canceling is a little wider than the groove but it works anyway. I plan to snip a little plastic off the front and rear of the headband soon to insure a better fit. I've only used it a few hours but like it so far. I see no way to fasten the headset into the helmet without some jury rigging. I just remove the helmet and put the headset into it and hang it from the v brace when parked. Got it from Spruce. You have a choice of d-rings or plastic snaps for the chin strap. Visor is included. They're cheap so......how much impact they will take is something I wonder about.

I got a pair of gallet helmets this spring for my wife and I and have used it just for this past summer. I don't like to talk about the price but after messing with the padding we couldn't be happier. I thought it would be restrictive but that is a non issue. The BEST part is the ear bud system. Had custom molds made for the earpieces. I have Light Speed Zulu headsets and I prefer the ear buds to any set I have used. Sunglasses, contacts, glasses make no difference because you are not breaking any seals--they are hands down quieter. Volume level is lower I can hear better, and just less fatiguing on long days. If I were looking for a helmet and was concerned about my headset I would get a ear bud sys with any helmet I would wear.

I have a couple old Gentex helmets. We used to wear them all the time, and for whatever reason we quit wearing them. I'm thinking of sending them to Gentex to get rebuilt as they're old and worn. They're both a bit big for me so I may be open to selling them, and just purchasing 2 in a smaller size as well. I really like the visor that's built into them as I can see how handy that'd be. The ones I have are wired for a Helicopter though, so you have to get an adapter which isn't that big of a deal.
I like the idea of wearing a helmet again after seeing what a TBI can do to a person.

Gentex says you can retrofit ANR to their hats. There is an external mic and a gizmo for signal processing. It's likely that other brands can as well.
Mine seems fine without ANR, but not having tried it, I can't comment.

Sold my Gentex, heavy and hot most times of the year.

Get what is comfortable so you wear it. Cost is not a factor for something that will last 10 plus years and thousands of hours.

attachment.php

(I don't always head south with a cub, but when I do, I make sure it is freezing a$$ cold!)

Attachments

• DSCN2362.jpg
    DSCN2362.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 6,372
I can't find the thread but I recall reporting after weighing my Gallet and DC w/headsets that the Gallet was lighter. How heavy is a Gentex?

I can't find the thread but I recall reporting after weighing my Gallet and DC w/headsets that the Gallet was lighter. How heavy is a Gentex?

I'll weigh mine next time I get to the hangar and report back. From what I've heard, it's much heavier than the Gallet. But - it's much less expensive, so that works for me. More gas money!

I agree with the post above about Northern Lights Avionics. Go in and see the girls there and theyll set you up with a nice DC Headset. Troopers and BAS require them to be worn and thats good enough for me.

Clint

Back