• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Non-Resident Pheasant Hunt?

Wannabe Cubdriver

Winnipeg, MB
I've been away from home for about 27 years and work keeps pulling me farther and farther away. I really miss bird hunting with my Dad but now that he is in his mid 70s, I don't expect him to climb the country back home for ptarmigan. Can anyone comment if a guided pheasant hunt is worth it? I'd ideally like to bring my 14 year old daughter along too, I think she should have some memories of hunting with grand-dad, and I could sure use a time like that to sooth my soul. I would like to plan something for next fall as there would be a fair bit of travel involved, I am open to ideas.

Thanks folks.

Edit to add...should probably add that neither of us have hunted pheasants before.

Last edited:
BEST of luck to you! I hope someone takes you out.

Have you thought of going unguided? Not sure how far you want to drive but SD has good public land to hunt.
Just a thought...my son and I did just that a couple of years ago.He called me from his duty station in SD and asked if we could get together for a hunt before he headed to Afganistan. Neither one of us were willing to spend the big bucks on a guided hunt so we did the next best thing. We researched areas that were open for public hunting. Had a very memorable time with excellent harvest results. OT but,the best part was, we had no dog and while in a resturaunt there was a group of 'snob/wealthy' hunters with there mega dollar dog trailers and high speed attire, we asked how they had done. They only got one bird and we had limited out that day. Needless to say they weren't to talkative after they learned we hunted without dogs, flushed many a bird by just beating the brush.
I would love to go again but unfortunately my son is no longer stationed in SD so it would be a solo hunt.

I like the public land idea a lot, but I don't think we can cross the border with a firearm unless it's an organized hunt. We won't have a dog either unless we do the guide thing, I wondered how necessary a dog was for pheasants, I've shot many ptarmigan and grouse without one. Are these pheasant hunts fair chase or is it more like farming? I did some more research and found a few spots in southern Alberta which could prove to be simpler but It's really about the memories I want to make, I can't make the clock go backwards.

I hunt pheasant hard, 44 straight years and I have learned while you don't "need" dog(s) to flush birds, but it's deffinately better with and absolutely nothing beats a good retriever for finding downed birds especially in heavy cover (folding them is the easy part, the tough part is they RUN). Habitat wise pheasants breed in grass, roost in overhead cover, feed in grass or grain fields and in the fall hide from Hawks in heavy heavy cover (cat tails are your friend), so be prepared. The basics are to walk abreast semi-close together in a safe line, into the wind and to properly use blockers (especially later in the season as the birds get educated) because they will both hear and see and would rather run out the end than fly, especially in row crops.

If you've never done it and want to make memories I'd advise you to find a good guide or a lodge ( which solves the hotel problem as in SD they are few and far between). I have a good friend I hunted with this past weekend who later in the season guides part time at scattergun lodge in SD and he gives it good marks, but it's spendy.

good luck, ditch parrots are addictive!

Last edited:
Nebraska has 350,000 acres of open fields and waters ffor public access. Your best bet would be the SW region around Culberson west of McCook. Without a dog you will struggle but good luck.

Wannabe,
I can help you out. I have some land with birds, have guns so you won't need to bring any. Just get yourself down to Aberdeen SD.
If Randy is lurking here we could hit him up to hunt his land just north along the ND border. I also can show you the public areas. PM me when you get a chance if you are interested.---tom

Wannabe,
I can help you out. I have some land with birds, have guns so you won't need to bring any. Just get yourself down to Aberdeen SD.
If Randy is lurking here we could hit him up to hunt his land just north along the ND border. I also can show you the public areas. PM me when you get a chance if you are interested.---tom
Wannabe, I'd suggest you jump on this offer. Excellent people good area and Aberdeen is a good place to stay plus has some airline service if you need.

Back