• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Need 337 for Scout Gear Legs on a Citabria

Yes, but they won't sell just the 337. They want the plane there to do the work and approval, but the plane is in Tx. So trying to go another route.

Old Thread but this pops up in conversation and on the Internet so here's the background. I did the first Field Approved 337 for a 7GCBC as an owner. It was done with support from a prior one time STC for a 7GCB N9958Y S/N 7GCB-158 that included re-drilled gear and a drop test at GW. Bellanca's prints Available at Northland Aviation in Fairbanks were redrawn and submitted. Machining was done locally to move the inboard mounting hole. It required a change from the Bellanca "U-bolt" to a stronger gear to fuselage fastener and an internal NAS internal wrenching high tensile nut and bolt. No G/W increase was provided. Never pursued a Multiple STC but probably should have.

FWIW N5502H's S/N 1035-78 337's should include the approval and required changes. They're available here: http://aircraft.faa.gov/e.gov/ND/

Gary

Old Thread but this pops up in conversation and on the Internet so here's the background. I did the first Field Approved 337 for a 7GCBC as an owner. It was done with support from a prior one time STC for a 7GCB N9958Y S/N 7GCB-158 that included re-drilled gear and a drop test at GW. Bellanca's prints Available at Northland Aviation in Fairbanks were redrawn and submitted. Machining was done locally to move the inboard mounting hole. It required a change from the Bellanca "U-bolt" to a stronger gear to fuselage fastener and an internal NAS internal wrenching high tensile nut and bolt. No G/W increase was provided. Never pursued a Multiple STC but probably should have.

FWIW N5502H's S/N 1035-78 337's should include the approval and required

Gary

Gary, were you the original owner N5502H ? I am currently standing in a hanger looking at it and really curious about all the mods on it , stall fences, cuff, droop tips ,,constant speed prop , the gear .. this thing is really modified and would love the hear the stories about it ! Thanks

Gary, were you the original owner N5502H ? I am currently standing in a hanger looking at it and really curious about all the mods on it , stall fences, cuff, droop tips ,,constant speed prop , the gear .. this thing is really modified and would love the hear the stories about it ! Thanks

Yes I bought it with ferry time to Fairbanks AK. in Spring 1978. I sold it in Helena MT. in Fall 1987. Send me a PM and I can elaborate. The upside was it improved the performance for flying materials to build a remote cabin and later run a fly-in winter trapline; the downside was it got heavier with no increase in gross weight or legal useful load. I'd do some of the mods again but others maybe differently. Cheaper to buy a Bellanca Scout today for the same mission.

Edit: one thing now is there's lighter weight Scout gear available and constant speed props that are lighter as well. I can provide details here but not sure it's worth the space...but either way it's a unique 7GCBC that few have duplicated.

Gary

Last edited:
Yes I bought it with ferry time to Fairbanks AK. in Spring 1978. I sold it in Helena MT. in Fall 1987. Send me a PM and I can elaborate. The upside was it improved the performance for flying materials to build a remote cabin and later run a fly-in winter trapline; the downside was it got heavier with no increase in gross weight or legal useful load. I'd do some of the mods again but others maybe differently. Cheaper to buy a Bellanca Scout today for the same mission.

Edit: one thing now is there's lighter weight Scout gear available and constant speed props that are lighter as well. I can provide details here but not sure it's worth the space...but either way it's a unique 7GCBC that few have duplicated.

Gary

How awesome is the internet that I could find the original owner of a plane 31 years later from a random google search !
The current owner traded a backhoe for it in the early 90s and never knew the history of it. I'm beginning my ppl in it shorty!
PM has been sent !

Hey that's quite some catch-up on a great airplane! She'll fly good and treat you very well. Never damaged while I owned it and the engine was overhauled prior to sale with flowed and balanced components. I'll respond to any questions.

Best wishes for your PPL and keep us informed of your progress.

Edit: Had a great conversation with Walker regarding my former 7GCBC N5502H he hopes to learn to fly in soon and maybe own. Life's good and everybody happy. Glasgow temps were +31F and light snow here and there. Fairbanks to be in the upper 50's today and dry ground. Move north and get away from winter!

Gary

Last edited:
Back