Thread: Need 337 for Scout Gear Legs on a Citabria

Post Thanks / Like

Need 337 for Scout Gear Legs on a Citabria

Looking for a copy of a 337 for Scout Gear legs on a 7GCBC Citabria. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    the yahoo group here might help:
    https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/CitabriaPilots/info

This is a pretty active site for Citabria stuff wouldnt be surprised if someone can help. You have to join the Yahoo group to post.

jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Doesn't Northland in Fairbanks have one?
    Thanks Airhutch thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, but they won't sell just the 337. They want the plane there to do the work and approval, but the plane is in Tx. So trying to go another route.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you talk to the manufacturer? There is nothing like going to the source. Who knows they may just have the answer. http://www.americanchampionaircraft.com/
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Old Thread but this pops up in conversation and on the Internet so here's the background. I did the first Field Approved 337 for a 7GCBC as an owner. It was done with support from a prior one time STC for a 7GCB N9958Y S/N 7GCB-158 that included re-drilled gear and a drop test at GW. Bellanca's prints Available at Northland Aviation in Fairbanks were redrawn and submitted. Machining was done locally to move the inboard mounting hole. It required a change from the Bellanca "U-bolt" to a stronger gear to fuselage fastener and an internal NAS internal wrenching high tensile nut and bolt. No G/W increase was provided. Never pursued a Multiple STC but probably should have.

FWIW N5502H's S/N 1035-78 337's should include the approval and required changes. They're available here: http://aircraft.faa.gov/e.gov/ND/

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BC12D-4-85 View Post
    Old Thread but this pops up in conversation and on the Internet so here's the background. I did the first Field Approved 337 for a 7GCBC as an owner. It was done with support from a prior one time STC for a 7GCB N9958Y S/N 7GCB-158 that included re-drilled gear and a drop test at GW. Bellanca's prints Available at Northland Aviation in Fairbanks were redrawn and submitted. Machining was done locally to move the inboard mounting hole. It required a change from the Bellanca "U-bolt" to a stronger gear to fuselage fastener and an internal NAS internal wrenching high tensile nut and bolt. No G/W increase was provided. Never pursued a Multiple STC but probably should have.

FWIW N5502H's S/N 1035-78 337's should include the approval and required

Gary
    Gary, were you the original owner N5502H ? I am currently standing in a hanger looking at it and really curious about all the mods on it , stall fences, cuff, droop tips ,,constant speed prop , the gear .. this thing is really modified and would love the hear the stories about it ! Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkjc View Post
    Gary, were you the original owner N5502H ? I am currently standing in a hanger looking at it and really curious about all the mods on it , stall fences, cuff, droop tips ,,constant speed prop , the gear .. this thing is really modified and would love the hear the stories about it ! Thanks
    Yes I bought it with ferry time to Fairbanks AK. in Spring 1978. I sold it in Helena MT. in Fall 1987. Send me a PM and I can elaborate. The upside was it improved the performance for flying materials to build a remote cabin and later run a fly-in winter trapline; the downside was it got heavier with no increase in gross weight or legal useful load. I'd do some of the mods again but others maybe differently. Cheaper to buy a Bellanca Scout today for the same mission.

Edit: one thing now is there's lighter weight Scout gear available and constant speed props that are lighter as well. I can provide details here but not sure it's worth the space...but either way it's a unique 7GCBC that few have duplicated.

Gary
    Last edited by BC12D-4-85; 10-04-2018 at 01:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BC12D-4-85 View Post
    Yes I bought it with ferry time to Fairbanks AK. in Spring 1978. I sold it in Helena MT. in Fall 1987. Send me a PM and I can elaborate. The upside was it improved the performance for flying materials to build a remote cabin and later run a fly-in winter trapline; the downside was it got heavier with no increase in gross weight or legal useful load. I'd do some of the mods again but others maybe differently. Cheaper to buy a Bellanca Scout today for the same mission.

Edit: one thing now is there's lighter weight Scout gear available and constant speed props that are lighter as well. I can provide details here but not sure it's worth the space...but either way it's a unique 7GCBC that few have duplicated.

Gary
    How awesome is the internet that I could find the original owner of a plane 31 years later from a random google search !
    The current owner traded a backhoe for it in the early 90s and never knew the history of it. I'm beginning my ppl in it shorty!
    PM has been sent !
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey that's quite some catch-up on a great airplane! She'll fly good and treat you very well. Never damaged while I owned it and the engine was overhauled prior to sale with flowed and balanced components. I'll respond to any questions.

Best wishes for your PPL and keep us informed of your progress.

Edit: Had a great conversation with Walker regarding my former 7GCBC N5502H he hopes to learn to fly in soon and maybe own. Life's good and everybody happy. Glasgow temps were +31F and light snow here and there. Fairbanks to be in the upper 50's today and dry ground. Move north and get away from winter!

Gary
    Last edited by BC12D-4-85; 10-04-2018 at 03:59 PM.
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post