• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Light cub build idea

Currently have a nice 11 that does great but will want more I can tell. I hunt/fish/trap in the bush of ak. I would like a light as possible but stout rig. Was lookin at/thinking of a 11 javron fuselage with an 18 top deck, flaps, 35" tires, and a no electric high compression 0-320. Should I just get a legit 18 fuselage? Oratex fabric etc...this will be a bare bones build(whenever it happens) with no electrics. Thinkin for sure I can keep it 3 digits weight wise.

Have you considered the ECI O-340 crank and rod conversion in that O-320? With stock O-320 pistons on that crank, you'd have a 9.2:1 O-340.

Might also consider a titanium firewall.

35" bushwheels are heavy and hurt you take off so I would stick with 31" Experimental is the way to go if you are not making money. Big wings with big flaps will fly slow and lift a big load. If you want stout it will not be all that light. But with the right wings and prop it will work all day and for many years to come.
DENNY

Trapping. Stock cub medium wt. fabric that you can repair. Battery and starter, lights. No other electric. Add an engine heater.
A cub needs three things,
1)Proper rigging
2)Reliable motor that can burn anything, i.e. 160 or 150hp
3)Repairability

Sounds like a -11 with a o-320 would be perfect for you, assuming light loads of arounf 400lbs total.

Welcome to the forum hunt/trapak88.

There is a lot of info in this thread on how to build a light "heavy hauler".

http://www.supercub.org/forum/showthread.php?40889-Building-a-Javron-Cub

Things you could do to get the weight down to three digits.

No interior - that probably cost me 15 to 20 pounds
Round tip wings - the square tip wings are 15 to 20 pounds heavier
Do not use 35's - they are heavy
A light 0-320 might pull 10 pounds off the nose. Be careful here. You can easily build an 0-320 that is heavier than an 0-360
Bare bare min avionics. - But again, be careful - this might kill you (or not allow you to save yourself)

It is going to be tough to get below 1000 pounds with a full up bush plane.

Best of luck

Bill

Have you considered the ECI O-340 crank and rod conversion in that O-320? With stock O-320 pistons on that crank, you'd have a 9.2:1 O-340.

Might also consider a titanium firewall.

I talked with eci at oshkosh about this conversion. They no longer offer the stroker conversion kit. You must purchase the completed motor now. $26,000 give or take. The eci specs show their 340 is lighter than their 320. Hang a catto on there and save 15 pounds.

I just weighed my Exp Cub on digital scales. With no headliner, no electrical, wide deck O-320, Catto prop, Atlee Dodge stock length gear, 2 into 1 exhaust, 3200 tailwheel, prehistoric 35" Goodyear Airwheels with single puck brakes, 977#. Installing 31s would probably save another 20#.
Being light is nice, but being simple was my goal.

I just weighed my Exp Cub on digital scales. With no headliner, no electrical, wide deck O-320, Catto prop, Atlee Dodge stock length gear, 2 into 1 exhaust, 3200 tailwheel, prehistoric 35" Goodyear Airwheels with single puck brakes, 977#. Installing 31s would probably save another 20#.
Being light is nice, but being simple was my goal.

Wow, that is light, only 77lbs away from the mythical ~<900lbs cub... those fly just amazing... How about some pics?

What is the difference in a Javron PA11 fuselage with an 18 top deck and a PA18 frame?

Did you get your answer, I too am interested in understanding the difference.

My STC cub clone weighs 825# with o 320, Catto, 27" aero classic tires. If it doesn't produce lift, it ain't on there.

Back