• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

My new Backcountry Super Cub Version 2

It can't be much heavier than the V1 airframe, can it? Bruce probably knows exactly. The net add for tubes might be 10# or so?

What are completed Back Country Cubs weighing in at? I don't recall ever hearing.
1432.8 lbs @14.13" on EDO 2000 floats. Calculated to be 1239.8 @15.5" if on stock landing gear. Widebody, IO-360-B1D, Whirlwind 200G prop & extended wings.

Hoping to keep this one under 1200lbs but betting it will be more like 1250...I'm about 6 weeks out from completion! ��

Cool project. Back Country solved a couple of things that have kept me away from Supercubs. Increasing the cabin height is one but moving the upper longeron to the top and opening up a seriously big baggage area is the game changer. I'd refer to that big baggage door as the dog door. No more lifting Kujo into or over the back seat. That's improved utility in my book. Are you adding fixtures for easily securing baggage in that area? The sliding cargo potential looks like it needs to be addressed.

Hoping to keep this one under 1200lbs but betting it will be more like 1250...I'm about 6 weeks out from completion! ��

3 weeks ago you were 6 weeks from completion. Using airplane math that should leave about 5 weeks left? What's going on? Progress report?

Well Stewart, the aircraft comes back from paint and fabric any day now. Betting assembly starts next week. Lots of moving parts now. I would bet we can start putting hours on this bird just after the new year. ....we know how that goes...In the mean time, I have been putting some hours on this older SQ my buddy acquired a few months back. Sure flies slow and thats without the Keller flaps. Anyhow, as mentioned this next week is a big one for us and we should have a subtaintial report to update once things come back from paint. These pics are a couple weeks old now.

Superflight 7
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Carbon Fiber Honeycomb floorboards . The are dirty in this photo

attachment.php

My Trainer :) This one was owned by Joe Salomone and had it listed on Barnstormers for sometime. My buddy here in Truckee got it for a pretty darn good price. I think 150$K with about 200 hours on her. Anyhow, she sure is nice. Also the lightest SQ I have seen. 1194 is her weight on the scale with 31's. Thats pretty good for an SQ AND I am skeptical however...What do I know. This one also needs the Keller flaps. I believe this is the very 1st SQ off the line but not 100% on that.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

AKT

Attachments

• wing covered.jpg
    wing covered.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,376
  • wing covered 2.jpg
    wing covered 2.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 1,360
  • wing parts.jpg
    wing parts.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,351
  • carbon floor boards.jpg
    carbon floor boards.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,340
  • slats out.jpg
    slats out.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 1,334
  • Slats:flaps.jpg
    Slats:flaps.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 1,337
  • yellow SQ.jpg
    yellow SQ.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 1,348
Here is my panel. Garmin G3

attachment.php

Attachments

• 0724141929.jpg
    0724141929.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 1,310
I'll look forward to some feedback about how you like the all-in-one approach. Very nice looking, that's for sure.

Been flying with the Dynon as of late. Wasn't quite sure what I was looking at at first but then found the gauges your glancing at then the bounds stuff like temps, etc., it's pretty darn cool. I keep wondering if simple glider gages would have been better but....it's pretty neat having the extras. You can hook your camera up to it. Now I will be able to watch myself land as a third party...

I see a prop control. You're doing a constant speed? What happened to light weight? Carb heat, maybe?

I'll have to go play with a G3X Touch. They sure look cool but some of the screen shots look awfully cluttered up. Pilot preference, I suppose. I like the idea of a 10" GPS display with a 7" engine display but I can get most of that with a JPI 740 and my iPad mini for a fraction of the cost. Choices, choices.

Last edited:
Is the panel the same material as the floorboards?
How did you do the lettering on the panel?

Kevin,

It looks like you have two 12 volt plugs in the panel that are of different types. Why 2 and why are they different? Just curious.

Thanks,
Joe

" Superior O360 built buy Barrett. Dynoed at 202 HP and weighed in at 262 lbs."
So what was all included in this weight ? Carb ? Starter ? P-mags , plugs and wires ? Alt. ?
Doug
Hope you make your under 1200#

Leaving for AK in a few days...It is that time of year.

I sure wish I had more to report here. Given that I am having a friend help with the build and the fact its about 800 miles away Its next to impossible to get photos.

I know we are getting very close. I will post some photos just as soon as I get some.

AKT

Last edited:
stewart, Technically it is not an E-AB. It should be in a different Experimental category which could have restrictions which you may not like. You yourself should participate in the construction enough so that you can list yourself as the builder. This is best discussed off line.

Bingo. I'm not interested in theory but wonder what Kevin is doing. He's a smart guy who knows the rules and has enlisted outside assistance. It's no secret and there's nothing wrong with that according to my DAR. I just was curious.

I am sure that Kevin is completing 51% of the construction himself. When he said that someone else was "building" his cub, he meant that his fried was working along side him assisting. :smile:

I was wondering the same thing

skywagon it might be best discussed off line but then Guys from Mass, ND, AK and CA can't have that conversation together and no real need for this website. I don't think there is anything wrong going on here, hell cubcrafters figured out how to build you an E-AB Carbon cub their has to be a way for your average Joe.
Ive had 2 request from people to build them an experimental so I genuinely would like to know, the way I thought It would work I would be listed as the builder then sell the plane to them, but then you have a lot of liability so I'm not really intrested in that.
The regulations are very specific. E-AB is amateur built for recreational purposes. A commercially built "homebuilt" is not eligible for E-AB certification. There are other experimental certifications which cover this. I'll let you look up the regs.

Getting very close. Engine is getting hung shortly. First runs will be in about 2-3 weeks we are thinking. Have not posted for a bit. Just an update here with some photos

Covered and painted with Super Flight 7
earlycover.jpg

Initial cowling plug. Catto is producing the new cowlings for the BCSC but we did not want to wait on the completed product so we made our own.
cowling.jpg

Getting ready here for final assembly. Love my new tires! She will be fast!
framecovered.jpg

Wing painted and ready for trim in this one. Trim is now done but dont have a good photo yet
IMG_1578.JPG

Getting ready for final assembly
IMG_1596.jpg

Put the Aero Fab stick control in. Set me back $3300. Hope it pays off. This means I can land anywhere now correct? I mean it is all about the stick
IMG_1665.JPG
IMG_1666.JPG

Wiring for the Garmin G3 going in
IMG_1667.JPG

TK Tail shock. Will see how this holds up. May end up with Dan's system
IMG_1705.JPG

Parts painted
partspainted.jpg

Big side door. This is one of the concerns. Will be anxious to see how the big door holds up and flies
sidedoor.jpg

Tail chevron. Its growing on me. Did not like it at first. Now I think its pretty cool. As me next month I may have a different answer
tailcovered.jpg

We were hoping to be done by now but we had a significant problem with the paint wicking. Needless to say we had to wet sand the entire thing and have a do-over. The paint is now beautiful!

She is in for final assembly and looking to be flying in 3-4 weeks. 35" AKBW's will be on her soon and hoping she comes in under 1250...Fingers are crossed

AKT

Attachments

• earlycover.jpg
    earlycover.jpg
    395.1 KB · Views: 2,164
  • cowling.jpg
    cowling.jpg
    519.1 KB · Views: 2,045
  • framecovered.jpg
    framecovered.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 1,951
  • IMG_1578.JPG
    IMG_1578.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 1,891
  • IMG_1596.jpg
    IMG_1596.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 1,931
  • IMG_1665.JPG
    IMG_1665.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 1,947
  • IMG_1666.JPG
    IMG_1666.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 1,989
  • IMG_1667.JPG
    IMG_1667.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 1,969
  • IMG_1705.JPG
    IMG_1705.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 1,968
  • partspainted.jpg
    partspainted.jpg
    404.4 KB · Views: 1,969
  • sidedoor.jpg
    sidedoor.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 1,962
  • tailcovered.jpg
    tailcovered.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 2,109
Last edited:
Good luck on 1250

[Hg][/H]
Getting very close. Engine is getting hung shortly. First runs will be in about 2-3 weeks we are thinking. Have not posted for a bit. Just an update here with some photos

Covered and painted with Super Flight 7
View attachment 25163

Initial cowling plug. Catto is producing the new cowlings for the BCSC but we did not want to wait on the completed product so we made our own.
View attachment 25164

Getting ready here for final assembly. Love my new tires! She will be fast!
View attachment 25165

Wing painted and ready for trim in this one. Trim is now done but dont have a good photo yet
View attachment 25166

Getting ready for final assembly
View attachment 25167

Put the Aero Fab stick control in. Set me back $3300. Hope it pays off. This means I can land anywhere now correct? I mean it is all about the stick
View attachment 25168
View attachment 25169

Wiring for the Garmin G3 going in
View attachment 25170

TK Tail shock. Will see how this holds up. May end up with Dan's system
View attachment 25171

Parts painted
View attachment 25172

Big side door. This is one of the concerns. Will be anxious to see how the big door holds up and flies
View attachment 25173

Tail chevron. Its growing on me. Did not like it at first. Now I think its pretty cool. As me next month I may have a different answer
View attachment 25174

We were hoping to be done by now but we had a significant problem with the paint wicking. Needless to say we had to wet sand the entire thing and have a do-over. The paint is now beautiful!

She is in for final assembly and looking to be flying in 3-4 weeks. 35" AKBW's will be on her soon and hoping she comes in under 1250...Fingers are crossed

AKT
my guess is mid 1400 lbs

Back