• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

My new Backcountry Super Cub Version 2

20100809-P8091008.jpg

That is sharp. Been thinking about that blue. It's my favorite color since I was a kid. May try a silver and blue like this, white and blue. Back to the drawing board today. All of these posts are really great. Thanks

I like this one this morning. Did it with a marker
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    522.3 KB · Views: 419
This is not my plane but ive always thought its pretty sharp lookin. It pops up on the home page once in awhile.

The dark leading edge will make a HUGE difference when melting the frost off the wing. And it will frost up in June in the mountains like Idaho.

Bill

My nephew did a science project once to measure the effects color has on absorbing or repelling light (heat). A constant heat source was used as close to the suns spectrum as could be duplicated by various heat lamps. Black obviously absorbed the most, but surprising to me, a mid shade red absorbed almost as much as black, within just a few degrees. The rest were many degrees cooler than red and black. Thought this might help knowing your two bases.

I'm doing Kabota Tractor Orange and royal blue leading edge and tail stripe...easier to spot than John Deere green in the spruce.

Does BCSC version 2 come with the Keller flap option license built? Or did BC design their own version? There doesn't seem to be anything on the website.

Any color as long as it's Lockhaven yellow and black. Avoid metallics at all costs. Impossible to match without same paint, gun, painter, etc.

I sure like this. May be enough of this paint stuff until we actually do it now. Were getting there. Anyhow this is what Im thinking.

Thinking I will leave the slats polished chrome. Also this was done with a marker so its not real to color scale but you get the idea.

FullSizeRender 2.jpgFullSizeRender.jpg

AKT

Attachments

• FullSizeRender 2.jpg
    FullSizeRender 2.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 2,375
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 2,350
Things are moving along. Wings are in for cover, engine is completed and I picked up my prop from Catto yesterday.
image.jpeg
image.jpg

AKT

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    177.8 KB · Views: 2,120
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 2,128
Last edited:
Congrats! Nice to pick up big pieces, allows the brain to thing bigger progress has been made. Thought I read somewhere that you were going with an ACE engine, if I'm remembering correctly, why did you change? What/who did you go with?

I looked real hard at the ACE and really like Kevin but I just did not want to be a test pilot with this aircraft. I could change out down the road if this one does not pan out but weight to power ration with my Superior Engine hopped up from Barrett Performance was just a no brainer for me. I added the Magnesium sump (thanks for the lead Bill!) and the engine weighs 263lbs. On the dyno she is producing a true 200hp. Power to weight ration is awesome IMOP. I am also going straight carb and fixed pitch thus again reducing weight. All could change down the road but I just did not want to deal with fuel injection, added weight for governors and such with a constant speed etc. Additionally, I am going with the Pmags and EarthX battery again saving weight. I am still suspect on electric ignition and really almost went with the good ole tried and true Bendix for the ability to fix them with a screw driver if need be but so many are now running the Pmags it to became a no brainer. Fingers crossed on that note.

AKT

I think you'll really like what Barrett produces but my opinion may be a bit suspect... I have one of their IO520's on my 180 and they did the 160 top on my cub both of which are amazingly smooth running beasts and besides that Allen and Rhonda are just good people. Great small run shop!

Last edited:
Has the final gear choice Bernardo made?
Are the composite components available yet? (Floorboards, cowl, bootcowl, etc)

..Thinking I will leave the slats polished chrome.
They will look pretty when new. Later when the surface starts to become discolored you will be wanting to clean it up. How easy will that be reaching up underneath to accomplish?

Additionally, I am going with the Pmags ..... I am still suspect on electric ignition and really almost went with the good ole tried and true Bendix for the ability to fix them with a screw driver if need be but so many are now running the Pmags it to became a no brainer. Fingers crossed on that note.

AKT
You will be happy with the P-mags. The big Lycomings idle smoother, start smoother and stop smoother with the P-mags. The spark advance with magnetos is too far advanced at idle rpm when running for smooth operation.

No oil scum if the breather tube connects to the exhaust pipe. Nice clean belly always.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update?

We know you are busy and excited, but are there any updates to post? Some of us are all aquiver with anticipation!

While not a super cub per se, this am built has always been my opinion of an extremely well thought out plane, both in planning and execution. Your color choice made me think of it again. Well done Kirby!
attachment.php

Attachments

• robsipad2 259.jpg
    robsipad2 259.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 1,804
My engine has been hung. Superior O360 built buy Barrett. Dynoed at 202 HP and weighed in at 262 lbs. Airframe is getting covered, wings are getting covered as well. Things will really be turning a corner here in a week or two. There is a lot going on now. Here's my engine. Building a carbon fiber one off cowling around around it. Hoping to have it look like more of a traditional cub cowling rather than the SQ cutthroat trout style. Catto is also currently building boot cowls and such for BCSC and that should turn out awesome. Just not certain when it will be done. We will see. I'm hoping to be flying my bird by the end of next month so building my own seems appropriate given were at that stage. I can also control the outcome and look that way as well. Weight of this aircraft is a major concern. She has been dubbed miss piggy give we have taken every consideration on weight issues and she is currently just under a 1000lbs with everything now except for fabric, paint, avionics, wires, air cooler, windows, slats and exhaust. Is it possible to keep her under 1200? That's gonna be hard. What do you think? Anyhow, more to come...

attachment.php

AKT

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 1,669
Back