• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

My new Backcountry Super Cub Version 2

Met this fella yesterday as Im selling the Highlander to him possibly. He jumped out of his plane with cameras rolling. Kinda took me by surprise but he made this edit on my new bird. Turned out kinda cool. Check it out

AKT

Just a few photos over the past few days here. Plane is running great. Coming up on 70 hours! Dealing with my flaps and the full deployment (see Keller Flap thread) but everything is just incredible.

DSC01136.jpg
DSC01143.jpg
DSC01160.jpg
DSC01212.jpg
DSC01213.jpg

A couple videos...26-30 mph approaches are insane. As mentioned in the Keller Flap thread, I cannot imagine what this plane is going to do when the flaps are re-rigged. Attacking that now

Nice fun rough little uphill landing here. 22mph touchdown speed with limited flaps. Its really not as rough as it looks. The guy in back holding the camera with one hand made it look a lot worse that it is.

Attachments

• DSC01136.jpg
    DSC01136.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 710
  • DSC01143.jpg
    DSC01143.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 811
  • DSC01160.jpg
    DSC01160.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 712
  • DSC01212.jpg
    DSC01212.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 757
  • DSC01213.jpg
    DSC01213.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 750
Last edited:
Kevin, your BCSC is absolutely amazing!! Congratulations, brother; I cannot begin to imagine how excited you must be!! I'm very happy for you, man. Truly.

I've seen your youtube videos, and thought you would be the perfect candidate to ask this question.

I've been flying since 2001, and am looking to purchase a plane after renting forever. I've narrowed my choices down to the following two planes: Cessna 180 (which you have), or a Backcountry Rev2 (which, coincidentally, you have as well). Now, again, I've watched the videos where you've discussed in great detail all the many things about each plane that you love. Your 180 is insane, but so is your Rev2.

Now, in consideration of all the different performance and user capabilities, which is to say that I realize they're two different airplanes in certain respects, I wanted to ask: if you were literally faced with the decision where you could only keep one of the two planes, and watch the other one be taken away, which would it be? And in your decision-making, please assume you had no wife, no kids, you were single with a dog, your plane would not be used for work, and you lived in middle Tennessee.

I know this is a weird question, Kevin, but I would really appreciate any advice you could offer.

Thanks a lot, man; and, again, congratulations!!

Fletch

Almost forgot, have you found out what's wrong with your flaps? Are they still being pushed back to 10-degrees in flight?

Sorry, one last thing, Kevin: before going with Backcountry, did you look into a carbon cub, zlin cub, legend cub, etc.?

I would take the cub over the 180...if I was single. Thankfully I'm keeping the both. The other aircraft you mention are awesome as well. Good talking to you today Fletch!

akt

Thanks to everyone for their input; much appreciated! And thanks again for speaking with me today, Kevin. You gave me a TON of great information and advice, and I think I'll be going for the BCSC for sure!

We re-rigged the Kellers. Added an extension on the bell crank arm to increase its length, tightened cables and adjusted the flap handle. In a neutral position the hang slightly but blow back at 10mphthe come up to level with the ailerons. Full flap deflection on the ground static is every bit of 65 degrees or so. See video here. Limited blow back now at speed. 30 mph pulling full flaps gives us what appears to be 50-55 degrees. Need to get some video and also have someone ride in back to mark them at each deflection. Incredible difference from prior when I was only getting 15 degrees at the 4 notch. Flight video will come in the next few days.

AKT

Kevin, congratulations man!! Glad to see the flaps are working themselves out.

I'm curious, however, is the problem with the Keller's themselves (has anyone else had this problem with Keller flaps, but on a different plane?), or is the problem with the BCSC? I saw a video of you earlier where you say (in connection with the BCSC stick and the Aerofab mod) that "you spend $200,000 on these airplanes, you don't want any "slop". I happen to agree 100% with you, Kevin, especially for $200,000!

But in the same vein, for $200,000, how could the flaps be problematic at all, much less this bad? Not being a jerk at all, Kevin, I'm actually mad FOR you!

Just wanted to get your honest opinion as to the flaps vs. the BCLC.

Thanks a lot brother, and I'm very happy for you!!!

Not to throw anyone under the bus here but it's a combination of bell cranks (backcountry) and flaps (Keller/performance) are not symbiotic. The backcountry wing is incredible. The flaps are incredible. The two need to come together and make them what they are. i can count at least 7 people that have or have had the very same issues.

We re-rigged ours adding a longer push rod, tightened the cables and added an inch at the bottom of the flap handle. Love them now.

Just spent the weekend in Austin with Pops at his flying landing on 10,000' plus peaks all weekend!

Heres a steep downhill departure from 10,300' with DA of 12,700'...no joke

https://youtu.be/HfGLatJ6qi8

That's great, man! The video was awesome, the scenery is ridiculous!! That cub looks like so much fun.

Thanks for the update, and have a great time!

Not to throw anyone under the bus here but it's a combination of bell cranks (backcountry) and flaps (Keller/performance) are not symbiotic. The backcountry wing is incredible. The flaps are incredible. The two need to come together and make them what they are. i can count at least 7 people that have or have had the very same issues.

We re-rigged ours adding a longer push rod, tightened the cables and added an inch at the bottom of the flap handle. Love them now.

Just spent the weekend in Austin with Pops at his flying landing on 10,000' plus peaks all weekend!

Heres a steep downhill departure from 10,300' with DA of 12,700'...no joke

https://youtu.be/HfGLatJ6qi8
YouTube says the video was removed. Is it just me?

Been flying a lot. Love the cub!image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 242
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    954.8 KB · Views: 301
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 321
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    745.1 KB · Views: 229
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    108.7 KB · Views: 366
Right on Bill. In my 50+ year career in aviation (FBO owner/manager/lineboy etc.) it seemed that any non standard paint scheme on an airplane was ALWAYS a detriment to an easy sale. Perhaps less so on an experimental, but...did you ever see a red John Deere? Or green Farmall!? Ho Ho Pete

OK now tell everyone about the new "Coming January 2018 – A one off Carbon Cub – More like a Franken Carbon Cub"

Its January already!! Keller flaps??

Back