Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Super Cub 91246 Rebuild

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by behindpropellers View Post
    You can also add some tabs around the bolt head to keep it from spinning. Sure is nice to have a person like Steve rebuild your cub. The guy who recovered mine neglected to put several inspection covers back in place. After the razor blade it is air brush time.
    Attachment 22235
    Excellent idea, just remember that "all AN bolts" are not created equal. The relationship between the face of the hex and the OD of the grip is not always exactly the same and symmetrical. If these tabs are tight for one bolt, the next bolt may or may not fit.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Well it has been a while. Finished the recover of this Clipped Winged Cub.
    20160325_181552.jpg
    Repaired this damaged Pacer.
    20150303_164738.jpg

Completed the rebuild on this Super Cub.
    20170422_141957.jpg

Completed my usual annual and condition inspections and have gone from 4 employees to none. I am now getting back to Super Cub 91246 full time. I have some pictures to catch up on since my daughter got everything covered except the fuselage before she and her husband moved out of town. I will try and catch up the progress in both pictures and dialog and keep this thread up as the airplane comes together. Thankfully Jason has been a very understanding owner.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Likes nightflyer, flylowslow, Cappt, WanaBNACub liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

For some reason the last two Super Cubs I have rebuilt have had this issue of the bottom of the fuel tank rubbing on the channel brace between the butt rib and the front spar. The short wing aircraft have felt glued on these channels. Because of this the last time I order felt a got a roll of 3/8" and 1/2" to glue to these channels.

We stripped the paint in the damaged ares and my welder buddy welded them up and welded the front fuel pick up bung into the right wing tank for the Dakota Cub header less fuel system STC.

Sent from my SM-N900V using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers
    Likes nightflyer, Hardtailjohn, Cappt liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Dakota has a headerless fuel system?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearhawk Builder View Post
    Dakota has a headerless fuel system?
    Yes, it incorporates their vented gas caps, machined gascolator and fuel valve. Their fuel valve has the stops machined into the valve to meet the FAA requirements to only go to off one way. Doesn't need the two bolts and bushings installed on the fuel valve cover like Cub Crafters.

Steve Pierce

Will Rogers
    Thanks Bill Rusk, Bearhawk Builder thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Joes turned out great, love the paint job. It's one of my favorite schemes

Post Thanks / Like
    He was a happy camper. Took some time to get him up to speed on the CGR30P and the Trig radios. The paint scheme took a lot of head scratching but I like that year model as well. Now Eaton has someone to blame when he gets a phone call from the Feds.
    20170509_090902.jpg

20170501_175915.jpg
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool interior selections, must have hired a designer
    "Don't feed the hipsters"
    Likes RaisedByWolves, Hardtailjohn liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OLDCROWE View Post
    Cool interior selections, must have hired a designer
    Yep, that would be the collaboration between you and Tabitha. Joe did say that coming down and seeing your Super Cub when it was done cost him a lot of money. Up until that point it was suppose to be just a recover. I always say there is what you know needs to be done, what you find when you get it apart and the "while we are here we might as well..."
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Forgot vernier mixture.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by behindpropellers View Post
    Forgot vernier mixture.
    I prefer the A-740 ratchet cable. Doesn't crepe and doesn't protrude so far back behind the panel before it can turn. I use them on mixture, carburetor heat, cabin heat and cabin air. Some like the vernier but it is still a carbureted unequal length intake tubed O-320.
    http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...clickkey=28423
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers
    Likes Flying Bee, skipster, cubscout liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a big fan of how the red/white one (Joe's?) turned out!

Post Thanks / Like
    Joe's cub is indeed as nice in person as it is in the pics. Not sure anything could be improved on the panel. Even with a lot of the small mods it still looks like a stock -18 which is what Joe wanted.....just needs bigger tires and I am holding on to a set of 100hr 31"s hoping to one day convert him to the dark side!

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you school me on the iPad mount, software app that he is running, and supporting hardware that is required to run this system?

Post Thanks / Like
    RAM EZ Roll'r Mount and Foreflight software.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bcone1381 View Post
    Can you school me on the iPad mount, software app that he is running, and supporting hardware that is required to run this system?
    Software is ForeFlight. To run the attitude indicator like he is requires a Stratus 2S or a homebuilt Stratux with an AHRS module. Not sure on the mount.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CamTom12 View Post
    Software is ForeFlight. To run the attitude indicator like he is requires a Stratus 2S or a homebuilt Stratux with an AHRS module. Not sure on the mount.
    Actually, the display says "no attitude information." Either no AHRS or it is turned off. You can still get the synthetic vision without the Stratus.
    Eddie Foy
    "Put out my hand and touched the face of God"

Post Thanks / Like
    So we got back from a great trip to Johnson Creek and I am back on the Super Cub. been going through all the parts that were tagged and bagged when we disassembled the airplane. Got the steel parts blasted, epoxy primed and then top coated with polyurethane. Then made huge list to order from both Aircraft Spruce and Univair. Over the years with the disassembly of 5 original, never recovered Super Cubs and all the drawings I have collected I have come up with a pretty good hardware list for each assembly as noted in each page of my Super Cub parts manual. So I have been assembling sub-assemblies and putting all the new hardware in bags to go with the others parts and putting it in my parts cabinet. I hate looking for parts. Since I got back Sac (Sneak Attack Cat) was a bit lonely, curious and wanted some attention or perhaps just to help.
    20170621_093740.jpg

20170627_181436.jpg

20170627_181417.jpg
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers
    Likes nightflyer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Rudder pedals were worn where the springs wrap around pretty good for 1600 hours.
    20170627_181349.jpg

I have welded a tube inside the tube but we decided to replace the pedals along with the return springs since they tend to wear at the radius and break. Had a Super Cub here on Sunday with 2000 hrs with a broken rudder return spring.
    20170627_181356.jpg
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    The later model Super Cubs had the short stick used in the rear in the front as well. Ordered a new front, long stick from Dakota Cub. It is a bit tight on the stick stub so I had to use a flapper wheel to clean out a little material to get the two to fit together. Then I took the stick up to my buddy Lan at Young County Machine to drill the hole in the stick on his mill. Fit perfect, not reaming required. Don't know what I would do without Lan half a block up the street.
    20170627_175858.jpg

20170627_180130.jpg
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers
    Likes sophistical, WanaBNACub liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    A while back I took the Super Cub floor board drawings and tweaked them to the actual dimensions from original floor boards. Not sure why the drawing is wrong but since tweaking the drawings I get Lan to water jet them out of marine grade plywood. I need to modify the drawing for the seat belt brackets to the floor mod so I don't have to cut those holes by hand. I use an old floor board with big holes cut for the seat belt attach to make a tempkate.

I clamp plywood to the top side of the floorboards once installed and back drill the holes for the attachment tabs, rudder and brake pedals.

Steve Pierce

Will Rogers
    Likes CamTom12, WanaBNACub, mike mcs repair liked this post

Spokane Felts Field, WA/Poplar Grove, (Chicago) IL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Steve

Thank you for posting all the pictures and the info, it's great for those of us trying to learn about Supercubs. I appreciate the time that you have given.

Bill
    Very Blessed.
    Likes cubscout liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great Steve! Love the panel in Joe's plane. Nice and simple!

Post Thanks / Like
    Temporarily installed the trim system and the flap control system so I can install the Dakota Cub headerless fuel system and the F. Atlee Dodge large extended baggage and make sure I don't have any interference. The fuel system was straight forward as I have installed several Cub Crafters headerless fuel systems. The one thing Dakota does is calls out Adel clamps or welded tabs to secure the fuel lines to fuselage structure. I am going to eliminate the clamps on the fuselage with weld on tabs. I have everything installed temporarily with Adel clamps on the fuselage tubing.

I am replacing the steel and brass Weatherhead fittings with AN fittings. This one bend is kind of a pain to get with the nut and ferrule in place but not enough room to flare if bent prior flaring the tube.

Steve Pierce

Will Rogers
    Thanks Bill Rusk thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought about using AN815 unions instead of the rubber hose but after talking to Mark at Dakota Cub we concluded some flex in the system might be good.

I installed the Dakota Cub STC to move the rear seat aft and like every modification it effected something else. It took up the space where Piper ran the fuel line from the right tank forward to the fuel valve, over the 1/2" channel that spaces the side panel off the upper longerons enough to give enough clearance for the trim cables. I had to get creative with my spring type tubing bender to snake the fuel line in between the two rear seat fittings.

Steve Pierce

Will Rogers
    Likes Jim Hann, Skykingfm liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    With the fuel lines installed I started on the extended baggage. We had already welded the channels in per the STC and I duplicated the trim pulley brackets from the rear of the standard baggage to the rear of the extended baggage to eliminate the trim cable rubbing on the back if the extended baggage.

20170715_160419.jpg

Didn't take into account changing the geometry would effect the next set of pulleys. Everything you change seems to effect several more things.

Will have to move those pulley brackets over.

Last edited by Steve Pierce; 07-15-2017 at 05:15 PM.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers
    Likes Jim Hann liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The Atlee Dodge STC really doesn't say much about the baggage compartment after the welding is done other than that the floor and back panel shall be a minimum thickness of .020" 2024-T3 aluminum or similar material. I used .020" for the floor and aft panel and .016" for the sides. The problem I foresaw was the side panel interfering with the trim cable. I thought about making a tunnel for the trim cable to run in but then as I looked how Piper offset the side panel in the standard baggage I figured out I could do the extended baggage the same way. I had some 1/2" U channel like Piper used in the baggage compartment and it stood the side panel off perfectly. Will weld it in along with some tabs to attach the side panels to.

Stock baggage standoff stitch welded to the top longeron.

My 1/2" U channels temporarily taped in place while fitting the baggage walls.

Thinking about maybe running the trim indicator wire through some nylon tubing along the baggage compartment.

Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    I really enjoy the fabrication part of a Super Cub build. I ended up cutting out for the trim pulleys where they protrude into the extended baggage compartment and will hammer out some blisters on the shop bag to cover them up in thr end. This gives maximum space with the least amount of protrusions for snagging sleeping bags etc. Since we are installing a baggage pod I figure the extended baggage will be for light stuff keeping the CG further forward with the heavier stuff in the pod.

Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Since it is summer time in Texas I get a chance to spray in the morning before it gets too hot. Got all the small steel parts primed and painted and now spraying the ailerons and flaps. Got two coats on and can start the silver tomorrow.

Just wish I had the energy of these two. They wear each other out and then go nap.

Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Since it is summer time in Texas I get a chance to spray in the morning before it gets too hot. Got all the small steel parts primed and painted and now spraying the ailerons and flaps. Got two coats on and can start the silver tomorrow.

Just wish I had the energy of these two. They wear each other out and then go nap.

I guess you just nap without wearing yourself out.
    Likes cubscout, WanaBNACub liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, I can't nap, gotta get some work done since I went to Johnson Creek and am going to Oshkosh.

Shot silver this morning as I played on the gravel bars too late yesterday morning and it got up past 90 degrees before I got back.

Since a paint can has 7" of fluid in it and Poly-Spray is mixed 4 to 1 I divided 7 by 5 and made a mixing stick. I always keep an empty can so I can shake up a can of Poly-Spray and pour it into an empty can up to the first mark carved into my stick and then pour reducer up to the second mark.

Got one cross coat sprayed and have very little to fiddle with prior to the next cross coat. Wish my daughter would come back to cover, she had it down really good.

Steve Pierce

Will Rogers
    Thanks WanaBNACub thanked for this post
    Likes WanaBNACub, Bill Rusk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a great idea for mixing silver Steve!

Post Thanks / Like

We are installing Dakota Cub brake master cylinders because I really like not having to mess with adding and taking away fluid like you do on the sealed brake systems. This airplane had Pete's brake boosters the Airframes now sells, installed. When they were installed the installer removed the parking brake valves. Those things have gotten pricey since Scott no longer wants to sell them, Univair does have them PMA'd though. I contacted the mechanic that previously took care of 91246 and he still had the parking brake vales and shipped them to me. Appears they cut the brass close nipple that connects the stock brake to the parking brake valve with a hacksaw. Luckily an easy out got what was left of the nipple out and a pin wrench allowed me to remove the parking brake valve from the other brake back. I will disassemble and install new o'rings prior to installation.

Steve Pierce

Will Rogers
    Likes WanaBNACub, Jim Hann liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I wasted quite a bit of time because I thought I knew what the STC for the Performance Aeromotive big baggage door said. I thought I was being smart and gonna save a bunch of weight by framing the baggage door opening out of aluminum with some strategically placed tabs welded in. Got all the aluminum pieces cut, formed and fit and was pretty proud of myself till that evening when I got to thinking about it and texted a friend who has been doing the same mod on his Super Cub. He texted me the instructions and I had one of those head slapping moments. The good thing was that the aluminum parts made great patterns for the parts to be made out of .032" steel and it made quick work of it. I plan on taking the time to read and not try and go off of memory anymore.

Weighed the parts, not icluding the tubing change or the door I am adding 1 lb 5 oz. in the door opening frame itself and another 1.4 oz. for the 7 Southco receptacles.

Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Spokane Felts Field, WA/Poplar Grove, (Chicago) IL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Boy, that is going to be a great mod. Love the size. Great work Steve

Bill
    Very Blessed.