• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

New to the Forum

MNBenny

Good Evening,

How is everyone doing tonight? I just joined the forum, because I would like to build a super cub, but I can't afford to buy a project either? Are there any "straight forward" plans out there that are complete and easy to understand how to build a cub? I'm trying to buld a bearhawk but I'm just struggling it with to much. I do have alot of experience with making wing ribs out of wood? I should mention I'm a member of the EAA, and working on my pilots license. I live in Minnesota.

take care and thank you in advance!

MNBenny

Welcome to the forum. As Mike said, www.supercubproject.com, hosted by one of our own scratch builders, has the Piper plans for the pa-18. I suggest you start with http://www.supercubproject.com/drawings/pdfs/A3290326.pdf. This is the rudder horn and when you have a passable rudder horn, move onto http://www.supercubproject.com/drawings/pdfs/A3310113.pdf, the rudder. There are a plethora of little parts to fabricate, assemble, weld, bush, drill, cuss at, throw away... that a first time build can get some practice at. Check out all the other pictures on that page. Good luck.

Hi MNBenny,

You said you are trying to build a Bearhawk. What do you mean? Are you working from plans on it, have you begun some of the components, or what?

There are blueprints available for the Super Cub in the form of a CD to be viewed or printed from a computer. The CD is offered for sale on this website in the "store". But, I'll tell you up front: To build a Super Cub from blueprints, from scratch is something that very few try to do, and very few of those who do try do not finish. It is not a complicated airplane like many others, but even as simply constructed as it is, it is not easily built.

I am building one, but not from scratch. I'm working with parts ( an already welded fuselage, main gear, tail components, and so forth) from a Javron "kit". Even working with well made parts of the kit, it is a major project. For such a simple airplane there are many, many things to do. And to do much of the construction I have had to learn methods of work and techniques that one would never even think about. I have long ago learned why these airplanes cost so much if a person was to just go buy a new one.

There are several cub-type airplanes and kits on the market. They are available in kit form and also available for builders who want to build from scratch… from plans. If I wasn't building what I have (and as you said, sometimes struggling with it) I would look at building a Hatz airplane or maybe one of the Baby Ace types (Ace Aircraft of Toccoa, GA). You said you were familiar with wood aircraft building, I am too. And, building things with wood is easier for me.

I'd also take a long hard look at the Sonex Onex airplane. They are "relatively" easy to build and not even remotely as expensive as either building or restoring a Super Cub. Now, don't misunderstand what I'm saying, the Super Cub, PA-12, J-3s, and so forth are great airplanes; But when you undertake to build one or restore one it's a real eye-opener as to cost, time, space to do the work, space to paint, and etc. Unless you are particularly interested in building or restoring an airplane, rather than just flying, I would save up and buy a used one. No doubt about it. And I think everyone here on this forum would agree.

Spend some time looking around on this forum and looking into its archives and make your decision from what you find. If you decide to proceed with a cub-type airplane there is no other source anywhere on earth that has even a fraction of the information you will need than is here on Supercub.org. So don't waste time looking elsewhere.

In answer to your question about "straight forward" plans, yes, and they are the plans I mentioned earlier, but the plans for a Super Cub number in the hundreds and many of them are not simple and some are barely legible. I would humbly suggest that you find a simpler airplane to build, which is probably what I should have done. But I've not given up yet.

Keep looking and keep studying about it, and Godspeed.

Back