• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Rotec TBI

jimboflying

I am putting a Rotec TBI unit on my experimental. It does not come with an airbox. I decided to make an airbox that would accept a filter, provide an area to place a carb temp gauge, another area to place electric deice heaters, and a vent line for the fuel regulator. This is what I came up with which also includes the support for the fuel regulator and primer button control. Perhaps this will help anyone else facing a similar situation.
DSC00603.JPGDSC00605.JPGDSC00609.JPGDSC00606.JPG

Attachments

• DSC00603.JPG
    DSC00603.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 449
  • DSC00605.JPG
    DSC00605.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 331
  • DSC00609.JPG
    DSC00609.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 388
  • DSC00606.JPG
    DSC00606.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 808
I have not run the engine yet so I don't have first hand experience but reports from others have been favorable.

I have also bought this same unit for my exp cub. I have not installed it yet. I did correspond with a guy that had about 30 hours on his and was quite happy with it.
I do not think that 30 hours is a great endorsement but I am willing to give mine a try.

Thanks for the post. I am also looking to use a Rotec TBI on my PA18 project. Looking at an O-360 Superior engine with the Rotec TBI-48-4/5. How is your unit working out? I have a friend with a cub on amphibians and he is very pleased with the product. I have done some research and asked around in the experimental community and have found no negative experiences.

Hugh, I have no first hand info at all, but I have read unsatisfactory reports. Perhaps just rumor mill or individual cases, but I would take a hard look / comparison with Verner for a radial.

Pb

Very nice unit although I see no provision for an alternate air source incase filter clogs with snow/ice.
DENNY

I have a friend with the Rotec TBI on his 90hp continental cub. He has well over a hundred hours with it on floats and wheels and has no problems. He likes the unit and the seat up was simple. I was just wondering how the larger units are working out. I went ahead and ordered the larger unit for my XP-360 project. Regarding the carb-icing question: while there are no reported icing issues there is a venturi aspect of this unit and there is the possibility of icing in any throttle body no matter how remote. As a result you should address this with some kind of carb heat, either with a standard carb heat box or some other mod. I will be using a standard cub set up just with the TBI instead of the normal carb.

Talking to a Kitfox driver about his O200 with Lycon 9.5:1 pistons, he told me he also installed this carb, generally liked it but did say he had carb ice a few times.

Tbi on 0 360 lyc .

Talking to a Kitfox driver about his O200 with Lycon 9.5:1 pistons, he told me he also installed this carb, generally liked it but did say he had carb ice a few times.

Finally getting around to finishing exp supercub .
have engine at lycon engines to be run in and tuned with the ROTEC.
There are issues . Seems to run too lean .
Got the engine running good on low rpm settings , sounded good .
Will not run above about 2300 rpm .
Removed unit and took it apart , many of the fuel holes were filled with lapping compound or something similar .
Returned to dyno , run up and still too lean .
removed , disassembled and opened up some of the fuel holes .
Will try on dyno again tomorrow .

Back