• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

2015 North East Ski flying & Fly Ins

wirenuts

Berkshire County Mass
Hello everyone!!! I hope to start another thread for our ski flying season here in the northeast and want to wish everyone a very happy and healthy 2015!!!! Be safe and keep flying!:lol::lol::lol:

Attachments

• IMG_1418.jpg
    IMG_1418.jpg
    713.8 KB · Views: 207
Put the skis on for one day, flew a short hour, made 5 or 6 landings and the rains came. Don't have to shovel rain.

Duanesburg, Happy New Year, everyone!
I'm planning to fly to 4B1 for breakfast at the diner on
1/3 at 9:30. Anyone interested?

Glenn

Maybe next time Doug. 5 of us made it, good weather this morning but snowing now. We have high hopes for Duanesburg airport. The airport has sat in limbo for the last 20 years kinda open. A nice gal Mary Beth just bought the place and is already fixing up the main hangar building. She has built a couple planes with her husband and is very enthusiastic about flying. Its a good meeting spot that is centrally located for the Mohawk and Hudson valley crew. And it has a great diner and an ice cream place 100 yards away.

Glenn

Last edited:
Thanks for the invite Glenn, by the time I got to about Rutland it was looking pretty nasty down there. Beautiful day to fly though.Hanover.jpg

Attachments

• Hanover.jpg
    Hanover.jpg
    767.7 KB · Views: 174
I know im a little early but i am looking forward to the Can/Usa fly in on lake Memphremagog on the 14 Feb,hopefully it will happen this time :)

I know im a little early but i am looking forward to the Can/Usa fly in on lake Memphremagog on the 14 Feb,hopefully it will happen this time :)

That's a fun flyin been there a couple times, maybe we'll see you there

For those within range of Western NY

6th Annual Ski-Plane Fly-In at the Clarence Aerodrome
8041 South Transit Rd.
Saturday January 31st from 11:00-15:00
(Weather & Snow Permitting)

0clip_image002.png

We're planning on a traditional bonfire, hot coffee and chocolate, beverages, assorted warm food, and desserts.

This is very informal, and the goal is to have a good time and enjoy local aviation fellowship and the WNY winter flying activities.

As in the past, pot-luck contributions are very welcome, but certainly not required. Share your special gourmet talents.

(Home made chili and home made soups are planned.)

If you are planning to fly in, we recommend that you check with Joe Rizzo for current airfield conditions (Snow vs Mud or Standing Water). His number is 716-308-0441 and his e-mail is joen6171b@aol.com

If you are driving in we suggest that you car pool with your friends or family due to parking constraints.

The airport identifier is D-51, Unicom is 122.7

Strange day to fly yesterday. Freezing rain all night then warms up a little bit and thick snow fog all morning. My friends from Old Rhinebeck were driving up to pick up a donated vintage parts car and Ansaldo aircraft parts out by Syracuse NY. They were going to be driving by within 10 miles of my home so told them I would meet them and help load it. They would be going by around 11am. About 10:30 the fog retreated to the valley and I had a couple thousand foot ceiling so I called them and said I would fly over and meet them at Brians to help load. It was dead calm at my strip when I took off and the ceiling looked to be at least 4,000' but had a fuzzy moist broken cloudy layer just south of me at about 500' As I got about 300'agl it got really bumpy so I climbed and like always it was smooth just above the broken layer. At about 2000' agl it was smooth but must have been blowing because I was hardly moving. It's only about 50 mile to Brians so no big deal. After awhile I got out my GPS to see what the GS was. I flew for an hour and only got a little over 30 miles from home and decided I didn't have enough gas for the normal 35 minute flight. At one point the GS was 10.4 MPH. I did a 180 turn and in a few seconds I was doing 164 mph. I would have played around with the wind but I couldn't head South and was afraid if I got North of my track heading home I wouldn't get it back. I had to fly East to get home and my noise pointed due 180* South and my track was 127*. I was now at about 3000' and my strip came up so fast that by the time I turned I was at 2500agl and about a 5/8 mile final. I pointed the nose at the end of my runway and was going almost 100mph with a ground speed of 39mph and the seat cushion was starting to become intimate with my butt as it was bouncing around pretty good. Got to about 200' agl and going 90GS on short final and smooth again and almost had to go around. Got on the ground and shut down and not a wisper of a breeze, dead calm like when I left.

Took my a while to get the camera out

Nose pointing 180* and flying east sideways

http://youtu.be/CeI2Qg9k5nQ?list=UUscHMyLkgFLTQdCbmCtRl0g

Glenn

Maybe next time Doug. 5 of us made it, good weather this morning but snowing now. We have high hopes for Duanesburg airport. The airport has sat in limbo for the last 20 years kinda open. A nice gal Mary Beth just bought the place and is already fixing up the main hangar building. She has built a couple planes with her husband and is very enthusiastic about flying. Its a good meeting spot that is centrally located for the Mohawk and Hudson valley crew. And it has a great diner and an ice cream place 100 yards away.

Glenn

Dburg

Skippys

Skippys 18-95 almost done

Glenn

That was a fun little trip. Glenn I don't get why you say Skippy doesn't know what he's doing, I think he did a fine job on that Cub

Sorry, I had put the post under the cafe supercub when it should have been here in the first place. My bad!! Now we can post the new year here.
Dave

Bowman's Ski Plane Fly-in is February 14th. We had a great turn out last year and hope for an even better on this year.

Larry

How do we have 3 of these going. SJ help

Glenn

I noticed last night everyone is still using 2014 ski flying site, I did not realize I when I posted it for 2015 it was in the wrong forum. There should only be one now that we are using 2015??? Should be all set now? Well maybe

Hey Glenn, when do the maple syrup farm start there annual breakfast up there in your neck of the woods? My plane is now back in service and I will head up your way soon.
David

Who's in. Joe you meeting me at my place? Just got a call from one of the Utica gang and they have 6 or 7 ski plane meeting up just west of Piseco Lk.

Lookin good

Glenn

Last edited:
Back