• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Colorado Mountain Flight, Pictures & Stats

tedwaltman1

FOUNDER
Delta, CO
Flight over the Continental Divide & around the high peaks of Colorado on Nov 8th.

Slideshow: http://www.eaerofab.com/MtnTour2014/index.html

Stats from Dynon Skyview data download:

· Highest ground speed: 155.7 mph when the true airspeed was 98 mph = a 57 mph tailwind!
· That 155.7 ground speed was at an altitude of 13,538' over the continental divide
· Highest altitude on the entire flight was 14,859'
· One bump was 2 G's (not bad at all really)
· Lowest temp was 23°
· Highest climb rate was 1,659' per min when we were at 13,423'
· Fastest descent rate was -1,507' per min when we were at 13,546'
· The system recorded 32,876 rows of data at 2 points per second for a flight time of 4 hours & 34 minutes
· The system calculates % power--the highest recorded is 85% at takeoff (of course) from our field at 4,960'
· Percent power taking off from Leadville, CO at 9,934' was 67%

Thanks for asking! I had a GREAT time except for about 5 minutes before I tried to cross the divide when I got on the lee side and was headed downhill big time in the wind.

I'd probably get a nose bleed.... think it's been 15 years since I've been above 3500 feet !

Very nice. I remember flying up from Laughlin NV to Grand Junction. We were going to go on to Centennial airport but as we flew I 70 could see Leadville so took a detour and got a certificate from Ursla. Took off from Leadville, popped up to 14000 and direct Centennial. Not a bump in the sky that Feb day in 1991.

Yes, crossed over near Milner Pass--just to the S of it I think. We hit a couple of big bumps with the wings moving, but not as bad as one might have expected.

Ted,

How do you get 85% power at our elevation here? Seems like you'd be making too much at lower elevation no?

I just re-checked my Dynon download file. BTW, I also checked that I have the right initial parms loaded in my engine configuration file.
Pressure Altitude: 4575, OAT 5C, Barometer: 30.31, Density Altitude 4426, RPM 2625 (should be 2700 of course; adjustment needed on throttle body), Manifold Pressure: 25"
Percent [computed] power 85%. I'll recheck the actual performance chart with the above #'s in the Lycoming manual.

I was trying to figure out and cross reference with the Lycoming Operator's Manual chart...but then I realized that it is published for an IO-360 (180 Hp) whereas I have an IO-375 (205 Hp).

Anyway, that's (the 85% that is) what my Dynon computed. If someone can point me to a chart or formula specifically for an IO-375B1B that would be awesome!

85% power seems very reasonable. In general our normally aspirated engines, lose about 3% power per 1000 feet of altitude gained. About 5000 msl = about 15% loss.

Looks like a great flight! Thanks for sharing your photos! I lived 38 years in Colorado, and still miss the Rockies.

Back