• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Chris & D.A.'s/Denny's Super Cub

D.A.

FRIEND
Free America
I was honored and humbled to be able to buy Denny Martel's Super Cub today. Denny and Jerry Burr were/are two of my early heroes in the STOL business. This is the airplane that Denny made the 18' take off in back when the competition was still at Gulkana. The mods list is lengthy, 150 horse nitrous shot, 13" extended gear, drooping ailerons, hyd/elec flap dump, full length slats, 91" Pawnee prop, extended flaps and ailerons, and the list goes on and on, and to think he was doing this 20 years ago. I'm hoping to have it flying by summer.

Attachments

• ak 065.jpg
    ak 065.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 914
Awesome! I would love to see an album of photos of this bird. Looks like quite a list of moods. Looking forward to reading about the rebuild.

What are those black things at the ailerons and flaps??
Dang - Good eye buddy! Denny made extensions that he could install or remove at will to increase the cord, plus on the very end of the ailerons are spades which I believe may have been his own design, but I'm not positive about that. Good eye!

Thanks for the info.

It would be nice if you could take pics of a few mods.
I'm really interested building a flap dump kit for my Red Devil.

Where do you have your airplane now,was Jerry's brother from the Skagit area too?Would be nice to see that in person,I have a 12 to put back together soon as I get a Hangar built at Concrete(3W5),no room in my hangar at Paine Field,KPAE.
Where on the left Coast are you?

What needs to be done to it?...
The engine started making metal so it was parked and sat for awhile. It came with a spare O/H'd lower end and we have an IO-360 from our other SC project (Same lower end) so we need to sort out the engine issue and just generally knock down the cob webs, lube up, free up, clean up everything and get it going again.

1st one I'm building on lot 48 farthest east lot in row closest to runway,I have multiple lots,if there is a market after I get my 1st one built I will build 1 to sell,we can put living quarters in hangar if we install sprinklers,
Do you have a hangar at Langley or Oak Harbor?
Or Paine?

Last edited:
Does anybody know where I can find more Gulkana or other footage of this airplane? I found the link to the short video below on another thread here.

...I found the link to the short video...
What I think is interesting about that video clip is the fact that it took off so short but it doesn't look like it had the LE Slats or long gear or extended cord flaps/ailerons. Wish we could replay it with all the mods.

What is the best source for Super Cub items? I need things like tail brace wires with all the associated hardware, plus it's currently set up for forward controls only so I need new floor boards, rear rudder pedals, front brake pedals and all the interconnect jazz, I'd like to run non-droop wing tips, isn't there someone making carbon fiber tips? We're going to run a Dynon D180 probably unless anyone can tell us why we shouldn't (Input always welcome) so we need a new instrument panel. Does anyone sell a SC panel already set up for a Dynon install, if not, what is a good source for a blank? I think we're also going to remove the flap dump system and re-install a standard flap handle with the ratcheting piece and so on. On the flap handle, in addition to advice on a good source, does anyone sell a handle that has been shortened to eliminate the limited stick travel with full flap issue?
Thanks in advance for any and all input.

What is the best source for Super Cub items? .....On the flap handle, in addition to advice on a good source, does anyone sell a handle that has been shortened to eliminate the limited stick travel with full flap issue?

Local hardware store. Buy a hacksaw.

What is the best source for Super Cub items? I need things like tail brace wires with all the associated hardware, plus it's currently set up for forward controls only so I need new floor boards, rear rudder pedals, front brake pedals and all the interconnect jazz, I'd like to run non-droop wing tips, isn't there someone making carbon fiber tips? We're going to run a Dynon D180 probably unless anyone can tell us why we shouldn't (Input always welcome) so we need a new instrument panel. Does anyone sell a SC panel already set up for a Dynon install, if not, what is a good source for a blank? I think we're also going to remove the flap dump system and re-install a standard flap handle with the ratcheting piece and so on. On the flap handle, in addition to advice on a good source, does anyone sell a handle that has been shortened to eliminate the limited stick travel with full flap issue?

When I lived in Anchorage, I spent a lot of time hanging around Merrill field. I'm convinced that you could walk up to the field with a data plate (and a checkbook) and find every part necessary to build a supercub. Stoddards used to have a whole section of the store with consignment used parts. Between them and Reeves, you can find pretty much all the airframe parts. There was (haven't been there in a couple years) an engine rebuilder, avionics shop, and full service restoration shop on the field as well. If it wasn't on the field, a short drive to Big Lake or the valley would generally get you what you need. I'd call Stoddards and see what they have - pretty knowledgeable folks.

Why install dual controls? You can't give dual flight instruction in an Experimental plane anyway, and about the only instruction you're apt to need is a flight review...and that's easy to find a plane for....... If you're carrying passengers, most of them will appreciate NOT having controls in their way.

MTV

If it's amateur built experimental. Why not build some of those parts you need.
That would be an option, but I'm trying to shorten the time until we're flying again. Each part I buy gets me closer quicker.

... You can't give dual flight instruction in an Experimental plane anyway.... If you're carrying passengers, most of them will appreciate NOT having controls in their way.

MTV
Sorry, but I think I'm going to have to cry "Bulls**t on that one. This airplane is going to have a LOT of instruction given in it, and anyone that doesn't like our Cub because the rear controls make them uncomfortable, they can ride with someone else.

Show us some pics please!!
Hey my friend, I'm going to try to get some time to take the front seat out in the next couple of days and I'll take some detailed pictures of the flap dump system at that time. I'll try to post some other pictures later tonight.

Did if you ever put those slats on? If so, what do you think of them? I'm trying to figure out if we want to keep them or not. Thanks buddy.

Back