Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happened to the AkAvCamslt app?

Post Thanks / Like

Question What happened to the AkAvCamslt app?

Anyone else having trouble with this app? Mine no longer seems to be able to pull up the cameras. When I tried to update the app I can't find it anywhere in the app store.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine isn't working either.

Post Thanks / Like
    I emailed Mike a couple of days ago about mine. He told me the FAA changed their site and disabled his link to it. They've threatened to disallow repairing his app to work but they're working on a compromise/solution. Maybe we pilots need to make some noise to the FAA. After all, it's a non commercial website and Mike is making our access to it better and more useful. They should be helping him, not screwing with him.

SB

Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed, Stewart. Let me know if there is anything we can do to help on this end.

sj
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    All is good at the moment..
    Just waiting for Apple to review & approve the update I submitted 8 days ago..... which will work till the FAA flushes their server/bookmarks again....

BUT.... by Nov 10 for sure when they go live with new website then app will be very broken... they have a beta of new site up http://209.165.164.193

they have offered a way I might be able to continue, IF we can agree on terms..... at the moment I can't sign it how its written.. it's close, we are talking still...

and I have started learning/writing server code for it.....

might be a bumpy road for a bit, even in the best case....

I pulled the app from sale a couple weeks ago when I knew there might be a chance it might not be updatable..... once update is approved I will put it back up for sale(not really to try to sell, but it must be for sale in order for the update to be available to download.. crazy apple thing..(maybe i can just make it available to buy in romainia or such?))

soooooooo.....

this was part of the conversation I got from my sept 16 inquiry on a chance to see beta site early...
    Hi.
    Can you provide me with a link to your new Weather Cams website demo, so I can start getting ready to update my iPhone/iPad app....
    I have almost 3000 users that will be out of luck for a while when the new site goes live & it kills my App. If I can have some time to start getting an update started many people will appreciate it...
    When do you think it will be going live?
    I usually try not to put out updates during the hunting seasons when people are out hunting, and with bad bush internet connections....
    Thank you!!
    ....We are aware of your app and the service you provide to Alaska aviation entities and we’re interested to help you to continue that service...
    ....Due to abusive activities from a number of entities we are taking action to improve our system security and service integrity processes to ensure our service remains available to the flying public and to those entities, such as your company, who provide services that assist us in our mission to improve aviation safety and efficiency through the distribution of camera images and other weather data products to the public.

With that, I want to offer you the ability to properly collect images from our system. Through a data-sharing agreement, the program office will make a URL available to you that provides access to scripts that will generate either XML or JSON files, which contain all the information as required to identify and retrieve the aviation camera data directly to your system servers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are the links to the FAA avcams. The mobile version isn't up to the standard set by Mike's app.

full site- http://avcams.faa.gov/index.php
    beta site- http://avcams.faa.gov/newsitebeta.php
    mobile site- http://avcams.faa.gov/m/.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike, thanks for the update. If there is anything we (as a group) can do to support you let us know!

SJ

Post Thanks / Like
    speak of the devil...

it just got Apples approval...

and now is processing for app store... so check for app store update in a few hours?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mike, I sure hope you can work something out with the FAA. That is the most useful app on my phone by far, I'd hate to lose it. Let us know if there is anything we can to to help get it pushed through.

Post Thanks / Like
    The update is available now at the iTunes App Store. My app works again. Thanks, Mike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike,
    I deleted my old and I am searching for the new one.
    So is the new site called "Alaska Aviation Weather Cameras" for $.99??

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by barbwire View Post
    Mike,
    I deleted my old and I am searching for the new one.
    So is the new site called "Alaska Aviation Weather Cameras" for $.99??
    no

It's not listed in app store yet.... I goofed trying to only show it in on odd countries store.. so it never showed here in US app store.. I fixed that, should start showing up later at this link https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/akav...359317105?mt=8

Post Thanks / Like
    Perhaps I misled. The update is offered automatically if you've previously purchased the app. Go to the App Store and select the updates tab. In fact once you've purchased the app you can reload it again for free using the same iTunes account even if you intentionally deleted it. I do it all the time if an app starts acting wonky.
    Last edited by stewartb; 10-21-2014 at 01:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Its on the App Store now and has the same look as before (a good thing) for those of us that have a slight electronic handicap!

Post Thanks / Like
    App probably dead/dying on Nov 10th when FAA scheduled to roll out new web site design....

been working on/learning what I need to do to serve info/images from my server since FAA gave me test access a few days ago(finished that part!)....

bumpy roads ahead for a bit...

gonna be a while till I get first(hack..) update figured out & finished.....

and then probably a bit till i get next one done & make it work well...

But all is good!,
    I think this will force me into learning how to provide just what I want/..low bandwidth info for remote users...

maybe even get the sat phone wifi hotspot version done......

then maybe? finish the android version? or not??...
    how many want android version? I only get 1 or 2 requests a year.... but I finished writing it a year and a half ++ ago.... never finished testing it/releasing it..

Post Thanks / Like
    If it works or not, thank you for making it and thank you for trying. I have used the crap out of that app last few years and Im sure many others have also. Thanks for keeping us updated.
    Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike,

Attached is a google analyitics report for the last two months of access to supercub.org from Alaska. IOS made an early foothold up there and is still the predominant way folks access the website. Down here, it is about 50/50 for pilots with ios/android - although the ipad remains the king of supercub.org preferred access devices. Although it does not directly relate to your app usage, it does give you a little insight.

Great work!

sj
    Attached Files Attached Files

Post Thanks / Like
    In the meantime the weathercam mobile site is an alternative to maintain smartphone access to the cameras. And this alternative should work equally well on Android devices. I prefer Mike's app but I appreciate that the FAA is trying to make the camera information easier to access. Using their mobile site requires your web browser but the site seems to be optimized for smart phones. Bookmark the FAA mobile site's pin drop camera map until Mike decides what to do to better it. Pinch the Alaska map open to zoom on a region and de-clutter the map. Tap on the pin you want to view. All camera views from the station will come up on one page so you can scroll as desired. The camera page header includes a chart view, METAR when available, and GPS coordinates. CTAF info, too, since that changed recently. Clear day and time lapse loops are available in each view's header. The views can be pinched open to enlarge an area of interest.

http://avcams.faa.gov/m/map.php?lat=...=-149.8846&z=5

Maybe later this evening I'll do a test with the FAA mobile site and my Axcesspoint to see if they like each other. Unless somebody's already tried it. I'm all ears.
    Last edited by stewartb; 11-10-2014 at 10:04 AM. Reason: correcting auto spell.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike
    Hang in there. I use your app everyday!! I will be happy to buy a new app, it is some of the best money I have ever spent!
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like
    as far as my AKAvCamsLt App goes, I've been working on the update for a month++.... I'm not done yet, then it has to get approved by Apple,

I finally(waiting since Oct 20th) got a wavier from FAA Today for last road blocks getting update finished, but now it's gonna get stuck in Apple's holiday shutdown too

.... so it will probably be in Jan. sometime before its live again...

BUT IT WILL NOT DIE each time FAA changes there website now!!
    I will be collecting the images and serving them myself from my own web server ..

............this time its gonna take bunch of work to get it updated(FAA moved to a new web site... and I now am required to design my own server software and serve the app pictures and content from that, instead off linking directly to FAA data....

Post Thanks / Like
    On a side note, come the 20th it will be 5 years?(2009) that I first asked FAA if they had an API or some way to official access the images... when I was thinking this would be a useful project.... now looks like ~2820 users?/units downloaded?

Post Thanks / Like
    For those of you who deleted it trying to get it working, and didn't get notified of the update, it's back in app store, Apple should not charge you again provided you sign in with the original iTunes account as when you purchased it.... https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/akav...359317105?mt=8

Still got a few issues to iron out, few more updates to come (like FAA moved birchwood to a new siteID, so that crashes it, but I can fix that on my server.....) had to ditch the old images look back feature, might add that back at a later date...

this has not been a fun update

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes Mike, I tried it recently and the pictures are back up. Thanks for getting it back on line. I plan on using it this summer, a lot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike
    Thanks for making it work!! I really missed having the app. I think it is one of the best and easiest safety tools to use up here!!
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like
    ok,

I think I just fixed it so it wont crash on Birchwood now(Or any sites the FAA moves to a new ID # when they change cameras/directions..)

hopefully I didn't break any thing else..let me know

Spokane Felts Field, WA/Poplar Grove, (Chicago) IL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Love the Ap. Thanks Mike

Bill
    Very Blessed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Rusk View Post
    Love the Ap. Thanks Mike

Bill
    please go leave a good review in app store then, please!!
    Thanks https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/akav...359317105?mt=8

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike, I just reupped this app on my iPhone 6 plus.

the app store did not prompt me for payment.

Where do I send you the $2 million your AkAvCamslt app is worth to me? Thank You.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mike! Good to have it back.

Post Thanks / Like
    kinda neat now for me to be able to see how many images have been viewed per day, as i delete last days worth... not many on these nice days, but more as weather is crapier .... been way to many nice days this year... we need RAIN!!!(and more image views..)

Post Thanks / Like
    Android?? My brother has this app...simply awesome

Post Thanks / Like
    The Valdez web cams are not working on the app on my phone. When i hit the camera icon it starts loading then reverts back the home page with all the others apps on it. All the other Web cams in the state seem to be loading fine on the app.

Is any one else having this problem?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Kid View Post
    The Valdez web cams are not working on the app on my phone. When i hit the camera icon it starts loading then reverts back the home page with all the others apps on it. All the other Web cams in the state seem to be loading fine on the app.

Is any one else having this problem?
    ya... growing pains.... sorta fixed for now....

you guys are really exercising my server on Valdez.... pointing out problem in my thought process.... this server stuff is all new to me....

all good....

email me @ apps@skuptech.com anytime you notice an issue so I can track it down...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eatwildgame View Post
    Android?? My brother has this app...simply awesome
    i wrote android version 3? years ago, then got sidetracked and never finished testing it.... someday maybe...(it will required a rewrite now....)

too many tabs open in my head right now (things to do...)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike mcs repair View Post
    kinda neat now for me to be able to see how many images have been viewed per day, as i delete last days worth... not many on these nice days, but more as weather is crapier .... been way to many nice days this year... we need RAIN!!!(and more image views..)
    "....332 Images removed, over 24 hours old..
    2491 Images kept, less then 24 hours old old..."

thats bunch more than the ~300 to ~500 it had been on that sunny stretch.... seems 1000 to 1200 is average day....

Post Thanks / Like
    It's a great app Mike.

Thank you,

Ben K.

Post Thanks / Like
    edit... 24 hours totals
    2459 Images removed, over 24 hours old..
    3670 Images kept, less then 24 hours old old

ye HAW!

bad weather and Valdez fly in, still have 3 hours till I normally reset it...

1873 Images over 24 hours old..
    3942 Images less then 24 hours old old

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally, after 3 1/2 years since last update.....

I figured out how to update the Alaska weather cameras app again, should all be working now & in sync with most of the FAA camera sites

go to app store and get the update that went live this morning.

If you don't have it, it can be found at http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/akavc...359317105?mt=8

old demo video here http://www.skuptech.com/page2/page2.html

can't believe it's been almost 10 years since the initial version went live

now to see if I can revive a couple of the other Apps that Apple has killed off... grrrrrrr

Post Thanks / Like
    And I’m working on a big update that should keep it in sync with The FAA site without me having to write these manual updates that have to be approved by Apple each time. Or so is the plan for tomorrow now that I got past my roadblock of being able to update it. If I don’t get sidetracked by airplane work. But someone please sidetrack me with some airplane work. MY Shops EMPTY

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    question for android users, as I contemplate rewriting the Android version that I never finished in 2012/or 13..... Is there other android apps already out there for the ALASKA weather cams???, other than the mobile version of avcams.faa.gov ????

Is it worth my effort and time to rewrite an app.... or is the FAA mobile site good enough??

have had many request over the last 8? years for an android version... but this is gonna be like starting over on the rewrite...