• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Building a Carboncub with dad

C130jake

BENEFACTOR
Four Corners Wyoming
After three months of fabric covering and painting, and more painting, we finally started putting parts on. Dad has been asking "when are we putting the wheels on?" For about a year.
20de31762f833584f6f6e242a1a265f8.jpg
cdeef4e49c2997f45c3dcf2c284a3753.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

After I learn how to fly it....the 8.5's are training wheels.

Float Fittings???
Looks good, Keep having fun.

You're really coming along well Jake. It won't be long now and you'll in the air.

The CC EX comes with float fittings welded into the fuselage as standard equipment. They're flush with the tubes so you can't see them easily.

Jake

Looking GOOD! ! !

Will you leave the gear uncovered?

I suspect the gear was white powder coated. What did you use to prep it for paint.

I ask because I plan to leave the gear uncovered and painted black.

Real progress! Keep the updates coming

Chuck

I scuffed up the primer with scotchbrite and shot it with poly tone. Leaving them uncovered. Not sure how long the top coat will last. I painted all the metal over sanded primer like Polyfiber says. I think aerothane would work better but I didn't want to mess with fresh air breather and trying to match gloss with a flattener. This is my first build and I am NOT a mechanic....just a dumb pilot reading a cook book.

Feels good to start putting parts on instead of painting, and painting.

Jake

Jake, I'll take your 8.50 training wheels off your hands when you are done training.

Sorry, I need the 8.5s for wheel penetration Summit Skis....when im done training :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Wiring...huge pita. Doing my own panel. Using CC wiring kit and had Stein Air cut my panel. Had to redo the panel Friday to move some stuff around to match the wire harnesses.

Tested the master switch and it worked. I will test the start circuit tomorrow.

The up side of my mistakes on the first panel makes for a handy CB and switch holder while I get the wires right.

d88380218cbc55f147e0ab2040f36bda.jpg

0e83419dd7e619e87d44ff3010316391.jpg

9516f741b250ab073da72f31a5e65a85.jpg

The old panel looked good on paper but the G3x has a taller and thicker border that didn't show up in 2D.

If anyone likes wiring and is in Minnesota this week or next, stop by. I can use all the help I can get.

Jake

Very nice!

Please don't let the painting get you down. Picasso never could get paint to look good, and he became famous!

Thanks for showing the progress, glad to know others make mistakes also.

I like your panel nice and simple. What glass panel is that I can't read it. How about the radio are you useing a small compact one. Keep the pictures coming and progress.

Garmin G3x Touch...remote radio and xpdr tuned thru the touch screen. Cubcrafters puts in the radio with control head. The remote radio nice and light and low profile so it can be put anywhere. I mounted mine under the xpdr behind the panel using the CC xpdr mount.
8802aaf6d0dd8112e29996d260670674.jpg

ec4251d607ff1e0d26c8facc0c8f9fc2.jpg

295acfc43a154067515061a3be9b2eda.jpg

Start circuit worked and most of the wires are getting installed. Switches and CBs left to wire. I have to change out ring terminals for blade terminals on the switch ends of the harnesses. Looks like a rats nest of wire right now.

Hopefully tapatalk won't crash this time. Most satisfying day building in a long time. Electric trim tested great, got the avionics hooked up and the G3x booted up. I still can't believe it. Wiring has been kicking my butt.

751a7294757456c39fd6c51eb26eb72a.jpg

4b7ace0150c36970b3878773b9462627.jpg

84110997cb29ac79be9bb17b0b71bffa.jpg

Only the light circuits and interphone & ptt left.

Jake

a0a81b17a1d1c82737e01ceea8a2d069.jpg

New panel painted and installed

9d89eaf65e12ca1b57fa15ac7900bda5.jpg

Wheeled it outside to see if the GPS worked. Everything works on the G3x![emoji28]

Looks like another good day

Anxious to hear your comments on using the G3X. Start installing mine in the next month or two.

48b5913b89c108898ea22d767c81f8c3.jpg

Rats nest of wire mostly wrangled...picking up my GDL39R tomorrow. Last thing to wire. Only had 4 wires that needed to be rerouted. Only one required hardware manipulation. (Disconnected rudder pedal linkage to untangle one wire that looked ok until I started tidying up and attaching wires to the fuselage tubes)

Overall I am amazed everything worked the first time and no smoke excaped....so far. [emoji28]

If and or when I had/have to do it all over again, I would wire everything including the panel precover. Then mask it off for cover and paint like the factory does. And get a fuselage rotator. Crawling under the fuselage is for the young and flexible.

c8de27fb94fad333a44672413d06d46a.jpg

I am even more impressed with the kid at Cubcrafters who wires the entire airplane and panel in an 8 hour shift.

Jake

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Since the wiring is mostly done, the wings and tail feathers, boot cowl and the engine are next. I had Aero Graphics make up invasion stripes and stars and bars for an L-whatever a CC would be if they built a Laison Plane.

VG question....put the VGs on first then the giant vinyl decals or glue them over the decal? Do I need to cut out the vinyl where the VGs get attached? Any advice with this would be great. I know the invasion stripes should be easier to install on a clean wing.

Does anyone have experience with Aero Graphics or wraps? The instructions say they can be applied wet or dry. Which is best? Put them on before the wing gets installed? Any tricks or gotchas I should know about. Air bubbles etc.

thanks

Jake

If I were you, I'd put the stripes on before mounting wings. Then when wings are mounted install the VGs and place them over the top of the vinyl. This will make a clean, neat installation with no tedious trimming, and so forth.

I have no experience with the vinyl trim, but I have glued on a few VGs. I wonder if the vinyl surface is stable enough to hold the vgs. I would worry about the vinyl peeling and taking the vgs with it. The glue holding the vgs to the wing is pretty tenacious and I'd be concerned that the adhesive bonding the vinyl to the wing would be weaker than directly bonding the vgs.

I'd glue the vgs to the wing and apply the vinyl next to the line of vgs and match the colors by painting over the vgs adjacent to the vinyl.

I have no experience with either. The VGs would be glued to the painted wing. Not sure the vinyl glue sticks better than the paint. I used Poly Tone. Any issues putting on VGs on polytone? Most that I have seen are on shiny paint/metal wings. I could mark the wing and exact knife the vinyl off but that sounds too scary on a fabric wing.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Back