• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Building a Carboncub with dad

I installed my GDL39 3D yesterday and fired it up....seems to work. All LEDs are on and my iPad sees it. My only worry is on the G3x traffic page it shows STANDBY. (It showed NO DATA until I turned on traffic in the settings menu) Do I have to be airborne or have the AHRS calibrated to get traffic? (Terrain won't show unless it has GPS signal and Synthetic Vision won't show until the AHrS is calibrated) I don't want to put on the boot cowl if I inadvertently put the RS232 input pin in the wrong spot. This box has so many features and settings it would be nice if Garmin had a better trouble shooting/set up section in the manual. Does anyone know of a G3x board to post questions? I sat on hold for way to long waiting for Garmin to answer the phone.

Thanks

Jake

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jake

One of the most frustrating thing about all this great technology is it can get complicated fast and the manuals and customer service from just about everyone is lacking. There is a lot of "programming" or set up stuff to do and it ain't easy. I guess I'm writing just to let you know that it is not just Garmin. GRT, Dynon, Advanced - they are all the same. The manuals suck and the customer service is slow at best. Perhaps if they had better manuals they would not always be on the phone helping people. Hang in there. It is worth it in the end......I think......I hope.

Bill

Thanks Bill, Garmins web support says they will get back to me in three days.

Jake

One of the most frustrating thing about all this great technology is it can get complicated fast and the manuals and customer service from just about everyone is lacking. There is a lot of "programming" or set up stuff to do and it ain't easy. I guess I'm writing just to let you know that it is not just Garmin. GRT, Dynon, Advanced - they are all the same. The manuals suck and the customer service is slow at best. Perhaps if they had better manuals they would not always be on the phone helping people. Hang in there. It is worth it in the end......I think......I hope.

Bill

Thats why your thread on your build is so great. Nobody likely uses the builders manuals as a deciding factor in buying a kit but the lack of detail in instruction can add hundreds of hours in building time, mistakes and repairing mistakes.

That vinyl sign stuff isn't going to peel off, it's at least equally tenacious as the vg glue. I'd wrap it and glue right over it. If you're still concerned about it do a test on some scraps.The vg glue sticks to anything, in my experience. I've used some 7 year old glue (after opening it and installing vg's on the plane) and stuck some left over vg's on my car, as one example. It gives people behind me at a traffic light something to ponder.

The MicroAeroDynamics glue works great over Poly-Tone, the only time I've lost a vg (on the hor stab) was due to a rock or maybe brush strike, that did other damage to the fabric.

Thanks...wire wrangled and boot cowl on. Interior panels installed. Windows, doors, wings and tail to go.

50e8280dcccbf9fb57bdc3b04ff918e6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Tail feathers on...starting to look more like an airplane
1186cace517ce2266be2f073707ae889.jpg

Looking good Jake! Real progress. Keep us posted.

I have been struggling with paint. Both the temperatures and the humidity have been in the 90s for way too long so painting has been on hold.

I feel your pain with the paint. Spent all last summer on paint and fabric that should have been about a months worth of work. In my next life, I will have a fancy climate controlled down draft paint booth instead of a borrowed metal hanger next to Lake Superior.

Motor on two weeks ago, wings on today. Almost looks like an airplane. Almost ready for the Fall Colors Tour.
ab986a36cbe2f8295886009e06f75461.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1441227071965.jpguploadfromtaptalk1441227097733.jpguploadfromtaptalk1441227126721.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1441227071965.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1441227071965.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 158
  • uploadfromtaptalk1441227097733.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1441227097733.jpg
    685.7 KB · Views: 202
  • uploadfromtaptalk1441227126721.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1441227126721.jpg
    656.7 KB · Views: 154
Getting close, 969lbs with 3in gear, lights, extended baggage and fuel tanks.
fc7f1f05369ddb7b310b657cf8ce25ee.jpg
6bd77e60a748495bdcc54653c9bc0fd8.jpg
7671aea4a67ee53f04609f0771ad56cb.jpg

Done....DAR comes Saturday. Going to OSH/New Holstein tomorrow to celebrate. (By car) Almost made my timeline to fly it in.
56ea488f4ef4f92237b0078c498cb89d.jpg

Couldn't have done it without this guy. Thanks Dad! Will fly in next year.

Congrats!!! Sorry we did not get to visit much at NH. Great job and I'm sure you will enjoy flying her. Perhaps I'll get up that way this fall.

Bill

Newest cub in the land. Trent Teats from Fargo was awesome.
dea1ae21765a6dfff48cd1197a368c19.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Supercubbers, Thanks far keeping me motivated and answering newbie questions

Flew it tonight after the winds died down. Crazy performance. <50' takeoff.

This is my first time in a fully instrumented recip. On climb out, my EGT on #2 pegged and turned red and the G3x barked at me. All other indications were normal. I pulled the power off and no change on the EGT. Made a precautionary landing to check it out. On down wind, the #2 EGT abruptly matched his buddies.

Took the cowl off. We looked for damage and wiggled the wires after we got the cowl off and couldn't replicate the problem. I assume a short or bad ground might cause this?

I will try again tomorrow and see what it does if the weather cooperates.

Jake

Flew twice today. A 1.2 and a 1.3. No problems noted other than no wind read out on the G3X. The takeoffs are crazy short. Flies straight hands off. Xpdr and radio worked great according to Duluth approach.
0bafadd2ce221b220926cd845c5b3b6e.jpg

05b5e40290b27749792e2edd25e23b58.jpg

3eed5c27563b3040ba2ef17a20e08c00.jpg

Back