• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Boulder, CO to Nags Head, NC - and back

soyAnarchisto

Boulder, CO
Hey kids,

Trip planning for a big cross country in a couple of weeks. I leave 9/18 and return 10/3 or so. Looking for advice for good fields along the way with nice grass runway and cheap gas.

My general plan is:

Boulder, CO -> Kansas City Area RON
KC -> Dayton, OH RON
Dayton -> Manassas, VA - spend a few days in DC with the wife and son
Manassa -> First Flight, Kill Devil Hills, NC and Manteo - got a place on the beach for another few days with the family.
Manteo bluegrass festival.
And back west through NC toward Colorado. Stopping in Jackson county to visit my nephew at Western Carolina University.
No other plan other than that.

If anybody wants to meet up with a poor wayfaring stranger in a lowly J3 lemme know.

Here's my plan on skyvector:

http://skyvector.com/?ll=41.1951898...6.KHEF:A.K7.KFFA:A.K7.NC72:A.K7.24A:A.K2.KBDU

Thanks in advance for any info you can offer.

Looks like a fun trip and nice time of the year to go. Remember If you haven't already taken the DC special airspace training on line with the FAA (takes 30-45 minutes and a good web connection) you're required to do that and it may change your plans at that stop.

Last edited:
I looked at your skyvector plans...what's your secret to get 110mph ground speed with your J3?

50mph tailwind! I dunno - I think it's a glitch or the default airspeed for the site - I have 60kts plugged in cause it's easy and conservative - and the site has it stored in a cookie so I always get that when I plan. I don't know how it works when you forward - but the link doesn't include airspeed/groundspeed so I think you get whatever the default is or what you entered last if you use the site regularly.

I have 29s on my J3 so I'm pushing pretty hard to travel 70mph.

I looked at your skyvector plans...what's your secret to get 110mph ground speed with your J3?

I got the skinny on the DC SFRA, thanks!

Dang, I was hoping you had a secret way of getting more speed from a J3:smile:. Take lots of pixs to share and have a good trip!

I always enjoy your posts...am mostly a lurker and have little or nothing to add here or on the J3.com site.

Well stay tuned - I'll probably be heading out to Oregon next year. Always love to drop in for a day of crimping up at Smith Rock State Park. 1 trip at a time...

Thanks for the note.

Hey Greg,

If you want to wander a bit further north, I have a place in Madison WI and could put you up for a night. Have some inside overnight space for the J3 as well. Looks like it would only add 55 miles to your whole trip. Bring that newfangled fly rod you have. We have 10,000 miles of trout streams in WI.

Have a great trip. Start planning now to join me to JC next June.

Jeff

Thanks slowmover, I'll check it out!

Jeff, thanks for the offer, but I feel the need to cover new ground this time and I probably won't turn up any further north. We will however get to wet a line next summer, of that I'm sure. Perhaps one of the new Holstein fly outs can be a morning of gold medal trot stalking?

I'm in Raleigh at NC-81. We have a couple empty bedrooms if you need a place to stay. Your return flight plan takes you over 5NC3 (Carthage, NC) Awesome BBQ right on the airport.
184032_489612794384026_704862069_n.jpg Avgas 5.25 We can get you mogas.

Attachments

• 184032_489612794384026_704862069_n.jpg
    184032_489612794384026_704862069_n.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
Thanks Snert. My family is in Johnston Count halfway between Smithfield and Goldsboro. Lemme know if you'd like to do some flying or grab a beer. I'll be making my way through Sunday and Monday last of September.

Let's make it happen. I'll see if I can get the Burlington crowd to shower and tag along. Sorry about your family living in Johnston County.

Looks like you flying over one of the coolest aviation museums "the fighter factory" check them out on the web. Here is a list if some of their planes. Unlike most museums most of their planes fly, and you get great access to the planes as you walk through their hangars.

Spitfire | P-51 Mustang | Hawker Hurricane | TMB Avenger | P-40 Curtiss | PBY Catalina | FG-1D | SNJ-2 | T28-D | Corsair | Polikarpov PO-2 | Polikarpov I-15bis | Polikarpov I-16 Rata | Polikarpov I-163 | YAK | A-26 Invader | Junkers JU-52 | Sopwith Strutter | Tiger Moth DH-82A | SPAD SXIII | FM-2 Wildcat | Stearman N2S-3 | AD-4 Skyraider | Alabtros D.Va | Beechcraft T-34B | Bell P-63 | Bleriot X1 | Peashooter P26-D | Jungmeister 133C | Chipmunk DGC-1 | WACO YMF-5 | V1 Flying Bomb | Focke Wolfe FW-44J | Fokker Tri-Planes | Fokker Bi-Planes | Halberstadt | TG-4A | Russian LA-9 | Nieuport model 11 |

Let's make it happen. I'll see if I can get the Burlington crowd to shower and tag along. Sorry about your family living in Johnston County.

I was able to PM Greg as well. We can install that door seal for you if you want to bring it along. We'll keep Snert on his leash.

Awesome. I met Bobby Cox and Paul White at New Holstein - promised them I'd drop in for a visit.

Y'all wake county folk ain't nearly as bad as I's raised to believe! You leash yer dogs? **** fire - rich folks never cease to amaze!

Soy if I can help in this area let me know. I'll touch base when you get closer!

Greg tried to get here last night, but ran out of daylight about 100sm away. We have some LIFR this morning so it will be a while before he gets moving again and we get off toward Side Lake.

It's about the journey! :)

sj

I forget how much crappy wx the rest of the country has. We are blessed in Colorado.

Sitting on the ground in 200ft overcast fog w 1/4 mi vis. Don't know if I'll make Dayton today either!

An adventure for sure, but I knew it would be.

Have fun up at fall colors , I hope to catch you on the flip side.

Greg, we have actually had GREAT weather up until the last week or so. It's just your timing... :)

sj

Back