Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooter pulls the trigger

Post Thanks / Like

Shooter pulls the trigger

It's only taken me one and a half years of researching and head scratching but I finally made my decision and pulled the trigger on my project. I was in Wyoming last week and put my money down on my next project, a Back Country Super Cub. I should have delivery about November. I'm going to build this one at home in the garage and save the forty mile drive to my hanger. I'm cleaning the garage out now. Boy do I have a lot of junk. I'll keep you posted on the progression.
    Shooter

[“Allow the world to live as it chooses, and allow yourself to live as you choose"]
    Richard Bach

Post Thanks / Like
    WoooHooo!!!

Time to start cleaning out the "junk"!

Post Thanks / Like
    That's just great! Now that you've decided you can begin second-guessing yourself.

Congratulations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice! Congrats!!!! Post lots of pictures.

Spokane Felts Field, WA/Poplar Grove, (Chicago) IL
    Post Thanks / Like
    congratulations. Please weigh everything so we can compare the differences. Post lots of Pics so we can all learn.

Thank you

Bill
    Very Blessed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the well wishes gentleman. Bill, I try my best to follow in your huge footsteps. I have learned so much from your continuing thread. Those of us mortals who are building owe you a debt of gratitude for your wealth of shared knowledge. I've purchased two scales, moved out the junk and painted the garage floor. I'm ready to go. Can't wait to get started.
    Shooter

[“Allow the world to live as it chooses, and allow yourself to live as you choose"]
    Richard Bach

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice, Shooter! I look forward to following your progress, too!

Randy (shooter)

Post Thanks / Like
    How much are the kits these days and what do you project to have into it when your done?

Post Thanks / Like
    Randy (my brother Shooter), I'll do my best to keep all informed. Thanks.
    Shooter

Richard Bach

Post Thanks / Like
    It is great knowing that I have a brother, Shooter!

I will bet you will have a blast putting this aircraft together.

Randy the shooter

Post Thanks / Like
    Piper J5.5,
    Backcountry Super Cubs makes a very complete kit. Wings and control surfaces are essentially ready to cover when you receive them. The fuselage requires little more assembly.
    You can put it on its gear and climb in and make airplane noises when you get it. Current pricing for my model depending on options is $55-62000.00. I'm going to go with glass panel and a new large engine and all new parts. Probably be around $110000.00 or more when I'm finished. That really beats the heck out of over $250000.00 plus for some new production Super Cub variants and besides, it will be experimental. I can just about do what I want with it. I'll never go certified again. Thanks for asking.
    Shooter

Richard Bach

Post Thanks / Like
    Randy,
    My wife says I'm like a kid in a candy store. I'm biting at the bit to get started.
    Shooter

Richard Bach

Post Thanks / Like
    Good choice!!

You must have a bigger garage than me...my 36' x 60' shop is just barely big enough for me.

I'm a shooter too but not from Texas, although I've been thru there a few times...had dinner with HW at Pappas Brothers last trip to Houston....well, he was there but at a different table.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Post Thanks / Like
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Lowrider and SJ. Thanks. I feel I 've made an excellent choice for my performance driven mission profile. This aircraft offers so much in it's mod's and performance that others just don't have. I have a fairly good sized garage. Four car and extended. It's heated and air conditioned. 10 foot ceiling. I'm plan to use only one half of it. I am writing a series article on the aircrafts construction. I want to illustrate that the aircraft can be built in a two car garage. A little tight. I will do the fuselage first. Remove it to the hanger and then do the wings. I will pre-assemble everything before cover, disassemble, cover and finish. I've done several projects prior to this. A Pitts S1-S, Midget Mustang, Quicksilver Sport 2 S, part of a RV-6,Mini 500 helicopter, Rotorway Exec helicopter, and a frame up restoration of a 54 Cessna 180 and a 47 J-3 that I just finished. I did the Cub teardown to finish in 8 months with one individual assisting. I don't plan to go that fast with this one. I think about 14 to 18 months if no problems occur. Next time you see George tell him I said Hi. He won't have a clue who I am. Keep sending them down range. Thanks for the comments.
    Shooter

Richard Bach

Post Thanks / Like
    i have done 2 one was a amith the next a TCOW both took about 18-1900 hrs start to finish. with the amount of experience on previous project you have this one should be a piece of cake. Best of luck
    Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    I plan on putting in at least 25 hours per week. If I can con some of my A&P, IA friends into free labor it should go fairly quick. I have a real good A&P who loves to do fabric. I think I need to twist his arm. For once, fortunately we are all old and experienced. If I can keep the BS sessions to a minimum, we can make some progress.
    Shooter

Richard Bach

Post Thanks / Like
    I popped in Teds hangar at Platte Valley just north of Denver a couple months before Oshkosh and saw his cub - looked awesome. I am watching both your and Bills builds with anticipation.

Git'R'Done!

Post Thanks / Like
    If your referring to Ted W., he had his plane at Oshkosh. Beautiful. I spoke with him this morning. He is just finishing us his new cargo pod for Super Cubs. He will have info about it in a couple of weeks on his website. See his blog on our website at www.stolaircraftmagazine.com click blogs. Bill's thread is a wealth of information. I can't wait to see his finished project.
    Shooter

Richard Bach

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    I plan on putting in at least 25 hours per week. If I can con some of my A&P, IA friends into free labor it should go fairly quick. I have a real good A&P who loves to do fabric. I think I need to twist his arm. For once, fortunately we are all old and experienced. If I can keep the BS sessions to a minimum, we can make some progress.
    Sounds like a good reason to have a cook out/ work party

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    RaisedByWolves
    I cleaned the grill and vacuumed the pool last night. I'm ready for that work party when you are. I can throw on some Elk steaks, a little Axis, and smoke a pig. I even have ice cold beer and some smooth Canadian whiskey. I'm not far from Graham.
    Shooter

Richard Bach

Spokane Felts Field, WA/Poplar Grove, (Chicago) IL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shooter

If you are not far from Graham, you are a lucky man indeed. You have a phenomenal resource with Steve Pierce close by. What a blessing that is going to be.

Bill
    Very Blessed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Bill,

I'm about 200 miles from Graham. About 1.4 in the 180 and 2.0 in the Cub. Essentially around the corner here in Texas. I met with Steve, wife, son and daughter two weeks ago in Graham. Great people. Truly a wealth of information. How close are you on your project? I would love to head north to see you and it when you are finished. With your superb record keeping and photo log, it would make a wonderful feature article. What do you think?

Dennis
    Shooter

Richard Bach

Post Thanks / Like

Shooter pulls the trigger

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    RaisedByWolves
    I cleaned the grill and vacuumed the pool last night. I'm ready for that work party when you are. I can throw on some Elk steaks, a little Axis, and smoke a pig. I even have ice cold beer and some smooth Canadian whiskey. I'm not far from Graham.

Sweet. I like the sound of that.
    Nice to meet you and your wife the other day at Steve's.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's been a year since I last posted to this thread. I guess it's time for me to start posting again. I took delivery of part of my kit in April of this year. My real job, the new magazine, lot's of travel to fly-ins and STOL events and my wife and daughters health problems have slowed me down a bit. The fly-in season is slowing down now. Sheila is over her surgeries, still recovering but back on her feet. My daughters over her problems and I've been in the garage a little more. I have made a few modifications to my Backcountry Super Cub Gen II airframe. I added a few tabs and hard points on the vertical stab for ease of inspection and maintenance work. I removed the rear upper glass panel (too much glass for the Texas heat) and ran the upper stringer forward to the front glass rear support. This changed the lines of the fuselage a little. I like the look. I have added a locking stainless steel latch to the cargo door and a mid door cross member to increase its rigidity. The floor boards (there are seven of them) are made from 3/16 plywood from the factory. They fit very well and required little trimming. I stained them a oak color and sealed them with polyurethane. I made the interior wall panels from .016 aluminum. ( there are 10 of them counting the aft bulkhead panel) Total weight was only 5 lbs, 9 oz. I made the original aft bulkhead from 3/16 ply. The .016 panel is over two pounds lighter. I modified the front seat by adding 3 inches to the seat back height to fit me better. I added folding arm rests ( folding to facilitate rapid egress) and a drink holder to my wife's seat. A little extra weight, but she will be more comfortable and happy and therefore so will I. I have covered the tail, horizontal stab, rudder and elevators with Ceconite. I will finish them with tapes tomorrow. I just got the fuselage back from paint. It was painted with PPG epoxy bright white paint. I will start to cover it on Sunday. The fabric will be finished with the Air-Tech process with a primary color of bright white. I weighed the fuselage when it got back from paint. It weighed 137 pounds about 10 pound heavier with the tabs, supports and paint. It's a big airframe. Four inches wider, five inches taller and two feet longer than a Super Cub. It's as long as my 180. I added weld on fuel steps from Airframes Alaska to my 3 inch extended gear. It currently sits on 26 inch tires but I will eventually place it on 35's. I'm still waiting on my boot cowl, windshield, panel, cowl and motor mount from the factory. I should have the fuselage covered and back from paint in three to four weeks. I will start final assembly at that time. I'm going to need the front parts to get this thing together. Hopefully they will be ready soon. I'm planning a trip to the factory in Wyoming in a few weeks to see what's going on. So far all things fit well and the welds and finish from the factory are excellent. The wings are together. They need the addition of the 24 gallon tanks (48 total), plumbing, lighting wires and cover. I've had them on and they fit well. I'll get the fuselage finished first before I take on that part of the project unless parts slow me down. I'll get Sheila to post some pictures in my next installment. I'm technologically challenged. I have to get back to the garage or this thing will never get finished.
    Shooter

Richard Bach

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm glad things are going well. Progress, even just a little bit, is a great motivator. That will be a noticeably large Super Cub.

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep up the good work Shooter and best to your wife and daughter for a speedy recovery!!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Shooter,
    Can you give more details about the oversize of your airframe. At 6'5" and 250lbs I'm always interested in airplanes for us full-sized people.

Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Jasperfield and Lowrider,
    Thanks much for the positive thoughts.
    DRLcub and Lowrider,
    This is a large Super Cub. The fuselage is as long as my 180. I am 6 feet and 220 lbs. When I place the front (pilots) seat in the full aft position, I cannot reach the rudder pedals by several inches. The cabin at the front seat is 28 inches wide and 55 inches from the floor to the top of the cabin. The cargo hold from the aft stick to the rear bulkhead panel is 9 feet! If you yell into the cargo bay you will get an echo back.

I picked up several internal cabin parts from the paint shop today. The fuselage and parts are bright white. I assembled the three seats and will take them to the upholstery shop on Monday. I am covering the seats with Navy blue (Blueberry) faux leather from Aircraft Spruce and Burgundy (Port) Duralife Premium fabric from Airtex. The accent color on the white fuselage will be a reddish burgundy, navy blue and bright yellow. I've been installing all appropriate internal items (fairleads, cables, pulley's, etc) prior to fuselage fabric cover. I hope to finish fabric work on the rudder, elevators and horizontal stabs tomorrow. I should get my landing gear and interior panels back from paint on Tuesday. Things are finally starting to come together in a fuselage shape. It's motivating me. Stay tuned for tomorrows report.
    Shooter

Richard Bach

Post Thanks / Like
    Shooter this sound really nice project how about some pictures. It's nice to see how projects are going together and follow.
    Larry Experimental Supercub PA18 wide body
    http://www.mykitlog.com/Supercub
    I'm positive there is no life on other planets - if there where, America would be sending them financial aid

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a couple of photos to start. The cargo area with wood flooring (3/16 plywood) and .016 wall panels. The trim servo. The fuselage with windows (white panels) being fitted.

.IMG_1255.jpgIMG_6567.jpgIMG_8137.jpg
    Shooter

Richard Bach

Post Thanks / Like
    I did some additional fitting today in preparation for covering the fuselage. I installed pulleys, cables, the front seat, brake assembly under the seat and the right horizontal stab and elevator. I will have put this thing together ten times by the time its finished.IMG_7277.jpg
    Shooter

Richard Bach

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice size Cub!

Mine is 28" inside too but only 7' in the cargo area but long enough to sleep in with the rear seat removed. I actually did sleep in it once with a 30" wide 3" thick Thermarest pad in the back but I need a tapered pad 'cause the pad sticks out the side of the tubes. Mine's only about as long as my 170 but a lot lighter for sure.

I'm using Kydex for the interior down low and fabric half way up and no ceiling...thought that would be quieter than alum but a bit heavier.

I'm building from plans and out of my head so I'll watch your post like I have Bill Rusk and others to learn along the way...this is a great site to learn how to build an flying machine!!

Post Thanks / Like
    The fuselage is extended two feet therefore the nine foot cargo. I investigated kydex but went with the .016 aluminum instead. I bought a sheet metal beader to stiffen the .016. It worked well. There is no oil canning. As stated all interior panels weigh only 5 lbs. 9 oz. I am working from my head as well. Although this is a kit, it comes with no assembly manual. I'm doing a lot of head scratching and making changes as I see fit as I move along. Bill's thread is a wealth of information. He finished an excellent airplane. I saw it at New Holstein. Very nice and light. I'm building for a little more comfort and will accept the extra weight as necessary. Supercub.org produces a tremendous amount of useful information. You just need to sift through the chaff and wise cracks. It's always fun reading. Keep me posted on your progress.
    Shooter

Richard Bach

Post Thanks / Like
    When my airplane is at gross weight of 2000 or maybe a bit heavier I find that when at landing configuration I run out of forward nose trim. This with the belly pod full up to around 100 pounds, upper and extended rear baggage compartments at 15lbs each, at least 50 lbs behind the seat, and a 135 pounds in the rear seat. You might find that the super extend baggage is very limited in weight capacity because of the limited trim range at slow speeds. I limit my super cub to 30 pounds beyond the standard rear baggage compartment, this is 15 upper and 15 lbs in the extended baggage area and I'm concluding even this is too much as previously described. Could be particular airplane. but any weight added is aft c of G. I think at weigh in my tail was at 78lbs to give you a base line with all other things being equal. Perhaps a fabric floor for all surfaces beyond standard baggage would of been adequate because nothing heavy goes there anyway. 016 is certainly the correct approach.
    Last edited by Fortysix12; 09-14-2015 at 07:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Shooter, Where are the extra two feet in the fuselage? Is this a one time special for you or has Backcountry incorporated the stretch in all of their Cubs? Have others been built with this stretch and if so are there any flight reports available? This is the first fuselage stretch of which I have heard. The extra leg room in front will be appreciated.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm also 6ft and modified the factory type seat for 2 additional inches. Basically it slides back 2 more inches. Added additional seat stops in fron of the seat rails in addition to the seat level indexing stops. The rear stick just touches the map pocket back of front seat in the full forward stick position. So a slight adjustment to the turnbuckle/stick position would help.

Post Thanks / Like
    C.G. range is a major consideration with the long fuselage. Lot's of room for light bulky stuff in the aft compartment. I will take photos tonight and post to illustrate the extension. I will be using a larger engine, IO-382, 200 Plus horsepower. The extra weight up front will help. Additional changes include a flattened floor forward of the front door post. The floor does not taper up to the lower firewall as on a standard SC. This greatly increases foot room. Toe brakes are standard.The modifications are unique to the Backcountry Super Cub Gen II. Several are under construction at this time but none are flying. The aircraft is an enhanced and modified SQ-2.
    Shooter

Richard Bach

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the extra leg room will be nice for sleeping in but don't think I will be putting much back there. As far as I know there are only 3 of these eating built as of now. A forth is set here in a month or so. I too am going with the .016 aluminum. My engine arrives next week and the real progress will really start taking shape. Anyhow, here's a couple shots before it left the factory showing the length. I also don't foresee using the third seat. This is Ranchpilot laying in there. He is 6'3"

Last edited by Aktahoe; 09-14-2015 at 09:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great photos showing the length. I think it's over gross with Bruce and the other two guys. Is that the way they give a thumbs up in Wyoming? Les Field of Cody Wyoming is building one. He has his wings covered and waiting on his fuselage. What engine are you using?
    Shooter

Richard Bach