• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

2014 Hunting/Fishing Thread

Here are some pictures from my recent trip to the Goodnews River in Alaska

View attachment 17206 image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 196
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    776.9 KB · Views: 169
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    821.7 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
Had some success calling bulls in MT recently. Now it's on to some bird hunts!

Tom's bull.JPG

Eric and Kyle.JPG

Attachments

• Eric and Kyle.JPG
    Eric and Kyle.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 229
  • Tom's bull.JPG
    Tom's bull.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 200
Worked until 4 and then drove like a banshee for an hour to get to a place I call the "Buck Bedroom". A light rain had stopped around 3 and the sun came out. Forecast tomorrow is 40 mph winds and temps dropping into the 30's so I figured the Grouse would be feeding. I hunted until dark and found myself 1 hour from the truck. Walked in the moonlight with wolves howling off in the distance. Jack and I put up a dozen birds and were blessed with three. This remote area is silly with fresh buck sign. Hockey puck sized tracks.

Can anyone recommend a guide for a black bear hunt next spring. I want to take my son on one in ak for his senior trip.

Duckhunter,
Where do you live? While it's not required that a nonresident be accompanied by a registered big game guide to hunt black bear in Alaska, someone not familiar with the hunt area would probably be a lot more successful if they hired a guide. However, before contracting with a guide, you might want to give some thought to where you want to hunt, and what kind of a black bear hunt you want to do.

In southeastern Alaska and Prince William Sound, black bear hunters often stay on charter boats, and cruise the shoreline in small boats looking for bears at low tide. On a couple of the islands in southeastern Alaska, there are extensive roads systems to hunt from. In south-central and Interior Alaska, black bears are often hunted from stands over bait. Or you can drive the road system and glass the hillsides looking for bears eating fresh green grass.

I would suggest that before locking in on a contract with a guide, to call the regional offices of the Alaska Dept of Fish and Game in Douglas, Anchorage, Palmer, and Fairbanks and ask them about hunting season dates, different areas, bear populations, etc. Also, hunting in some areas might be by drawing or registration permit, or open to general hunting. Those phone numbers can be found in the Dept.'s web site. ( http://hunt.alaska.gov ) That might give you a better idea of where you would like to go, and what kind of bear hunt you want to have.

A list of registered hunting guides and what areas they are licensed to guide in can be obtained from the Alaska Dept. of Commerce, Community & Economic Development, Division of Corporate, Business & Professional Licensing. (http://commerce.state.ak.us/occ/apps/ODStart.cfm ). If you do decide to use a registered guide, I would highly recommend checking this list to make sure they are properly licensed and actually registered to hunt in the area you decide to go.

Jim Woolington
Dillingham

A few photos from summer/fall 2014:

Grayling, lake trout, and char from the same place in Wood/Tikchik State Park (north of Dillingham).IMG_0892.jpg

After a morning of subsistence fishing for salmon on the lower Wood River (sockeye, chum, and kings)
IMG_0918.jpg

A lot of my salmon ends up like this, canned.
IMG_0921.jpg

A day trip to Brooks River Falls in Katmai NP to watch bears and tourists.
IMG_0932.jpg

Cousins from Indiana came up this summer. Their first trip to Alaska, first float plane rides, and first silver salmon.
100_1521.JPG

From a recent (late Sept) pronghorn hunt in southwestern Wyoming.
IMG_1054.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0892.jpg
    IMG_0892.jpg
    857.3 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0918.jpg
    IMG_0918.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 171
  • IMG_0932.jpg
    IMG_0932.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 161
  • IMG_0921.jpg
    IMG_0921.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 178
  • 100_1521.JPG
    100_1521.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 170
  • IMG_1054.jpg
    IMG_1054.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 177
Can anyone recommend a guide for a black bear hunt next spring. I want to take my son on one in ak for his senior trip.

Jim has given you some really good advice. In addition, bear in mind (pun intended) that the size of black bears varies greatly, depending on the region of the state you hunt. For example, the southeast black bears tend to be pretty large, while the interior black bears tend to run quite a bit smaller, but there are lots of them, and there are some fairly large bears even there. Also, as Jim pointed out, what kind of hunting you're up for and what kind of habitat and country you'd like to see/hunt in will determine where you might want to go.

There are good guides, some great guides and a few bad guides, so doing some research will definitely pay off.

MTV

I got rained out of work a week ago so I decided to go elk hunting. That hurricane in Mexico sure churned our weather up. As soon as I got the water pumped out of my back yard I headed out of town. I hit some torrential downpours at times and figured it might be a wasted trip. A some point I broke through the storm and everything north was clear.

Arrived at my buddy's house at 4 and on the road by 4:15. Glassed a little and saw nothing along our route. Got to a spot we wanted to check about 5:30 and walked in about 20 minutes. I cow called twice and a bull walked out. I flattened him with my 458 Lott.

This was an over the counter tag in an area that is tough to hunt and pretty much only locals kill anything as they have to be opportunistic. I just wanted a raghorn meat bull but my tag said "any elk" on it! He was small but had points everywhere. Freezer is full and meat is great!

Great pics as always Eric.. I remember when Jaranson and I drove around a few back roads and whacked some grouse.. Lots of laughs.

Nice bull and archery to boot! Having a full freezer going into winter :),

Nimp, I share birds with my elderly neighbors far removed from walking the Grouse coverts. Some that remember the days of their childhood using only a .22 to kill a limit. There's as much satisfaction doing a knock and talk and handing over a ziploc bag with fresh cleaned birds than the hunt itself. Possession limit 10 and between Tessy and my father we'll never see 30 entering deer season.

Last edited:
brown bear nice moose, watched your spot as you flew over FSJ on you way back home saw the weather didn't cooperate a lot on your way home either.
Hope to see you again sometime.

Just got back from an Elk Hunt with Tri-State Outfitters on a 250,000 acre ranch outside of Raton, NM.
http://www.tristateoutfitters.net

Tried to get them to let me land the 185 on an abandoned air strip on the ranch and all was going well till the billionaire owner's lawyers got involved. Dang it.

Was a great hunt. Definitely recommend them. Lots of good bulls.

IMG_2742.jpg
IMG_2730.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2742.jpg
    IMG_2742.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_2730.jpg
    IMG_2730.jpg
    439.6 KB · Views: 170
Gntw
Thanks , I was glad to get the moose but the high light of the trip was Ft ST John ! Wish I could have stoped in on my return but I had been to long gone.
Doug

Required Pheasant "hunting" attire. Now ESPO (on the left) I can understand because after all he is a true "Renaissance Super Cub Man" who flys his battle tested Carbon Cub to both sand bars and brunch, but Eaton... well let's just say George your kilt just received a permanent man card. Me, I'm headding to South Dakota...

4cb81506e96a03d296f75f14579f293b.jpg

Last edited:
Grandson Si strikes first day of Youth Deer season

SiDeer.jpg

Attachments

• SiDeer.jpg
    SiDeer.jpg
    715.6 KB · Views: 225
One of the mallards my hunting partner shot last week in ND had been banded in 2004!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 131
IMG_1948.JPGWell when it comes to predator hunting i'm all in!! A beautiful early morning gets me my first triple on my first set. What a day. Dave

Attachments

• IMG_1948.JPG
    IMG_1948.JPG
    922.1 KB · Views: 225
Back