• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

2014 Hunting/Fishing Thread

NORTH DAKOTA PHEASANT REPORT

Went to the far SW part of state; Reeder, Scranton, Bowman region. Appears to be more birds than last year despite their hard winter and wet summer. Plenty of young birds in the mix. Daily limits would not have been hard to achieve. Several roosters a day enough for me, the delight was watching the old guys shoot and dogs work. Kicked alot of tractor tires and gabbed more than usual in the farmyards, not a real intense hunt. Crops are a disaster. All the corn on the properties we walked were void of ears from hail during tassling or late planting. The sunflowers were too wet to combine. Fish and Game had a roadblock setup near New England which is south of Dickinson. Everything on our end was in order. Weather was way to warm and it would have been easy to kill a dog without using caution. Bismark showed 84 on Tuesday my car read 81.

Elk rifle season opened in Montana the 25th and our family had a nice opening morning.

IMG_0380.jpg

My wife had a cow B tag and we snuck up on a herd of about 40 in the fog as they were going back into the trees about a half hour after the season opened.

carson_14_bull_mt.jpg

My son heard her shoot and hiked over to help gut the cow. He went back to where he'd been and found this 5-point bull about an hour later.

Attachments

• IMG_0380.jpg
    IMG_0380.jpg
    889.4 KB · Views: 233
  • carson_14_bull_mt.jpg
    carson_14_bull_mt.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 193
nice first hour, always liked success early in a hunt and then screw off and aggravate the rest of the party still hunting

My son shot his first antelope a couple weeks ago.
antelope.jpg

Attachments

• antelope.jpg
    antelope.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 205
Well done Kase Jr! My son caught his first trout last weekend. Loving the Boise life with great fishing just steps away!

Dylan's first trout.jpg

Attachments

• Dylan's first trout.jpg
    Dylan's first trout.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 169
A few shots from the 2014 season Kodiak Island

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    803.8 KB · Views: 163
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 206
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    361.8 KB · Views: 176
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 219
Last edited:
image.jpg

A long tough hunt hunt for this ram. And I almost drown 2 hours before I shot him. To access this area takes a boat to cross the Clark Fork river. I used a kayak and it flipped on me in some rough water. Closest I've ever felt to death. Rivers in Montana in November are not warm. None-the-less I put some dry clothes on and climbed up to where the sheep were and shot this guy. My nephew came over from were we'd spotted them in another boat he found with our pack boards and helped me finish caping and quartering him and then we packed him down. And the day after my 58th birthday too 😊

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 228
Nice ram,great bd present, a hunt that has a story with it for you and your nephew to tell.

Smiths.jpgJust back from Swift Current Saskatchewan Canada. All the Smith boys. My brother, his two sons and me. Seven hunts in three days. Mixed bag of ducks, Greater Canada's, Ross and Snow geese, Specks, Hungarian Partridge and Sharp Tail Grouse. Limits on ducks and good goose count. Had a Chinese restaurant cook it all up for a big dinner the last night. All remaining meat donated to the food bank.

Attachments

• Smiths.jpg
    Smiths.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 208
Deep Freeze MN Deer Hunting: Been a colder and windy season here in MN. I passed a 10 pointer a few days back and saw a spike and plenty of does and fawns. Looking at below zero here predicted the next day or two. Really hard to stay warm on stand so harvested a small 8 pointer tonight which is what I was looking for. Passing on the 3 1/2 year old 8-10 points and taking what came before the raw temps. Thankful for this one. No fun freezing for venison. WWHunter took a little better deer this PM as well and another friend bags a Moose. Meat for the table folks trophy hunting is optional in predator country. This wolf video captured by a neighbor up the road a few thousand feet from my fence. Too cold for great camera work, cell phone pics have to do. The weather really sucks.
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152526696513214&set=vb.510198213&type=2&theater

A couple of bucks for us last week.
image.jpg

My my son Adam with a nice whitetail buck.

image.jpg

And me me with what I'd really like to call a 30" mule deer but it is about a quarter inch shy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    639.8 KB · Views: 136
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 143
I took the neighbor and his dad elk hunting this week. He got his first bull this morning. He actually shot it first on Saturday but it took us 3 hours yesterday and 4 more this morning to track it down and finish it off.

Jake..jpgMy young bloke got his first bunny this week end.

Attachments

• Jake.jpg
    Jake.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 96
  • Jake..jpg
    Jake..jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 152
Wal, This summer at Alpine Shooting Range in Texas. There was about 25 guys and gals from Australia. When I asked Robert, a range manager where they came from, He told me they have been showing up ,like the range was on a tour and that they had never shot a gun before. So they are instructed on pistol,rifle and shotgun,They have a lot of fun all day.

Just back from Alberta deer hunt and the wolves had the deer and elk stirred up or eaten where I was hunting on the brush line.
Alberta_Whitetail_deer_.jpg
I saw wolves on two occasions and 4 kills during a week hunt!

Just back from Alberta deer hunt and the wolves had the deer and elk stirred up or eaten where I was hunting on the brush line.
Alberta_Whitetail_deer_.jpg
I saw wolves on two occasions and 4 kills during a week hunt!

Great buck Bob. A big whitetail like that is always a true trophy.

Those wolves are a huge problem here too. One of the guys I work with jumped a pack of six last week while hunting deer on the mountain I had the sheep tag. He found 7 dead bighorns where the wolves had been and a day later found so many old bones and parts in another area close by he couldn't tell how many sheep had been killed. Terrible beasts.

Since you got a chuckle last year from the picture I posted of the doe I shot with the handgun. I'll post a picture of another doe shot with the same .357 this year.

IMG_0401.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0401.jpg
    IMG_0401.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 120
September 2014 moose hunt.

Crash

Re_sized_0710.jpg

Attachments

• Re_sized_0710.jpg
    Re_sized_0710.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 278
Hey Crash!
You didn't happen to notice that Wolf in the background waiting for his share did you? :smile:

Back