• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Fabric Covering Repair

flyby

Olathe, KS
Hey Guys,

I'm new to fabric work. I took the Poly Fiber seminar at OSH this year, and that was my first intro to fabric work. It was great fun and I hope to take a weekender course someday.

I am in care of Grandpa's Super Cub and have some issues on the lower fuse toward the tail. The paint/coating is peeling off as well as some of the taped areas, exposing bare fabric, pretty sure we're Ceconite here. You can see in the paint where there is some brown staining along the edges of the tape/fuse tubes through the paint and cracking as well. What would be the best way to go about making a repair/covering up this area? Thanks for you advise on a basic thing here, I'm in the learning process! FYI this Cub just had an annual about 4 mo ago. Hadn't had a 'paid for' annual in probably 15 years prior to that.

IMG_1032.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1032.JPG
    IMG_1032.JPG
    439.2 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_1032.JPG
    IMG_1032.JPG
    292.7 KB · Views: 227
clean it, glue a tape over it.. build it up and paint

whats that rust coming trough about... might check that out....

My thought on rust as well. I'll have a look. Going through logbooks I see repair of lower fuse longerons and entire aircraft recover in 1992. Nothing touched since, this was when it was converted from a -105 Special to a -150 and the works.

Hey, good time to put in the last 4ft metal belly?

I'd investigate the rust visually and maybe tap on it with a pick. If all is well clean the crude from the inside, glue the patch around the inspection ring and the tape back on, brush on some nitrate and then some silver and you are good to go.

I ordered a Ceconite manual, will probably clean the whole area with MEK and re glue the tape down, start brushing on coats... I'll clean back to the areas with the rust and see what's happening there. I guess advantage is that it is on the underside so it's not too visible.

I agree with the above, but lately I have been using Stewarts glue and Ekofill for minor repairs. Pull tests indicate to me and those who joined me that the Stewarts glue is many times stronger than the stuff we normally use.

For minor repairs I just shoot dope over the Ekofill. Your IA may have some heartburn with that. We have seen nothing adverse, after several years of outside parking on such repairs.

Back