• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

A chinese's PA18 project----I need your sugestion.

And now I finally know what my cub looks like,Thanks all again.

I want built a SuperCub like this:

30'' wide fuselage(I got it)
180Hp engine(got it)
Ribblett 66'' chord.30613.5 airfoil wings on a widebody cub fuselage(have spar,strut,etc)
3" extend gear
35'' bush tire(got it)
3" extend tail surface(accomplished)
86"X38"Catto prop(ordered but missed)
electric trim system
electric driver pusher flap(planing what kind of ecectric driver pusher can I use)
aluminium strut

What's your suggestion?any query is appricated.

I think you will be very happy with that combination. The high lift wing, big engine and big light weight prop should give you very good performance. The extended tail surface (i.e., rudder) will be very helpful if you put it on floats.

Manual flaps. Straight forward install and fast to put on and take off.
Power. Get as much out of the O360 as possible, this is where I spend the money
Unless you have a serious need for 35s Id' go with smaller, even 850s ,I fly the lower 48 and I haven't really ever needed bigger tires, they are heavy and slow you down(my opinion)
3x3 gear, adds a safety margin to the airplane, 180hp on a 3 in gear with big tank fuel can go over in a new York second

One major advantage of building an X18 is the amount of engineering available not to mention every part imaginable is available for sale. If you are like me you want to fly as soon as possible. Before making major engineering modifications, evaluate it for the project completion impact. I have a saying about airplanes. Everything is related to everything. Meaning, you make a change to a part and the change will ultimately impact something down the line that wasn't on the radar just yet. Stay as true to the original design for the sake of getting it completed.

Regarding Bushweeels and 35's vs. 8:50's...If you need to make an unscheduled landing in China there is a LOT of rough terrain - in fact almost all of it, except the central plains where there are some open areas,but small fields and a lot of obstructions. You might consider the loss of cruise speed against the potential loss of your plane. Considering the near complete lack of AvGas and the unspecified quality of auto fuel in China, the chances of an unscheduled landing are way higher than say, in the USA or UK. I'm told that several Cirruses have gone down while flying on auto fuel in China. Although an injected engine with pressurized fuel flow is trickier than gravity feed, I urge you to consider the big tires. Chances are you'll need them, and from what I've seen on 12 trips throughout all of China in the last 16 months, there aren't a lot of friendly places to land - besides military airfields, and we both know you aren't going there unless it's life or death - or a visit in prison. What's more, given the usual near-zero visibility conditions in haze and pollution across the majority of the country, you may be forced to land at short notice. I suppose if your in Xinjiang province near Urumqi or Karamay, you're OK, but even there the sand is pretty uneven. By the way - will you come and visit us at the World Air Carnival in Zhengzhou, 25-27 September? We will fly aerial Skyboard® banners on our Husky. See you there!

With the Riblett 66" wing, you will need to either modify the bird cage so it fairs nicely across to the wing root, or will need to make step-down fairing which will have look like Zenith or Gullwing. Just a heads up.

Unless you have a serious need for 35s Id' go with smaller, even 850s ,I fly the lower 48 and I haven't really ever needed bigger tires, they are heavy and slow you down(my opinion)
3x3 gear, adds a safety margin to the airplane, 180hp on a 3 in gear with big tank fuel can go over in a new York second

One major advantage of building an X18 is the amount of engineering available not to mention every part imaginable is available for sale. If you are like me you want to fly as soon as possible. Before making major engineering modifications, evaluate it for the project completion impact. I have a saying about airplanes. Everything is related to everything. Meaning, you make a change to a part and the change will ultimately impact something down the line that wasn't on the radar just yet. Stay as true to the original design for the sake of getting it completed.
Manual flaps,good suggestion,the electrical motor drivers flap slowly,I would abandon it.
Engine modify is very difficult in China,the custom of China would lavy a heavier tax on aircraft parts,it's hard to say,not direct,most of my money pay for the agent.
35'' tires are suit for China.WhiskeyMike is right.And could you tell me 3x3 gear is 9'' extend gear or 6''exend?

Thanks.

Regarding Bushweeels and 35's vs. 8:50's...If you need to make an unscheduled landing in China there is a LOT of rough terrain - in fact almost all of it, except the central plains where there are some open areas,but small fields and a lot of obstructions. You might consider the loss of cruise speed against the potential loss of your plane. Considering the near complete lack of AvGas and the unspecified quality of auto fuel in China, the chances of an unscheduled landing are way higher than say, in the USA or UK. I'm told that several Cirruses have gone down while flying on auto fuel in China. Although an injected engine with pressurized fuel flow is trickier than gravity feed, I urge you to consider the big tires. Chances are you'll need them, and from what I've seen on 12 trips throughout all of China in the last 16 months, there aren't a lot of friendly places to land - besides military airfields, and we both know you aren't going there unless it's life or death - or a visit in prison. What's more, given the usual near-zero visibility conditions in haze and pollution across the majority of the country, you may be forced to land at short notice. I suppose if your in Xinjiang province near Urumqi or Karamay, you're OK, but even there the sand is pretty uneven. By the way - will you come and visit us at the World Air Carnival in Zhengzhou, 25-27 September? We will fly aerial Skyboard® banners on our Husky. See you there!
IMG_4982.jpgRegarding tires,they laying on floor of my basement in China.I havnt choice, the price is doube than AK's when they arrive my address.The policy of airfield management is very strict,they said the heaven form your hair belongs to govement:roll:.Bullshit,I believe,if you jump in air for 1 second the goverment wouldn't arrest you,believe me.

You are absolute correct,most of Chinese are smoking 24 hours even he or she don't smoking a cigarette,the factory are busy on make shoes,shirts for American and China goverment busy on lavy tax on those smoking factory.so what can I do,I decide make a Cub fly in higher air for fresh air.:wink:

I ordered Avgas from USA,but the goverment said to me I havn't any right for import gas or petroleum,what can I do?I make it,make Avgas,but if you make gasline is equal to make a bomb.A joke.

QQ图片20150803110347.pngThe picutres of World Air Carnival in Zhengzhou 2014,that's a amazing meet of Gernal avaiton,that's shows coming spring of Gerenal Avaiation of China.I will go there.Would you like take some parts for me?I would very appricate for that.

Attachments

• IMG_4982.jpg
    IMG_4982.jpg
    709.7 KB · Views: 390
  • QQ图片20150803110347.png
    QQ图片20150803110347.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 456
With the Riblett 66" wing, you will need to either modify the bird cage so it fairs nicely across to the wing root, or will need to make step-down fairing which will have look like Zenith or Gullwing. Just a heads up.

Ya,you are right.One more question,do you know how Riblett 66'' wing's aileron cable cross through fuselage?Seems different from stock 18.I only have limited information.Thank you.

Which wing kit are you going with, D&E? It could be made to work like stock Cub, although the upper balance cable might have different position on the rib than normal to make sure it passes through cockpit in right place. The D&E Riblett wing originally was configured to work like the PA-12 with cables all routed on the rear spar. I could have done the Riblett on mine but decided against to avoid excessive mods that will add considerable time to your project.

Which wing kit are you going with, D&E? It could be made to work like stock Cub, although the upper balance cable might have different position on the rib than normal to make sure it passes through cockpit in right place. The D&E Riblett wing originally was configured to work like the PA-12 with cables all routed on the rear spar. I could have done the Riblett on mine but decided against to avoid excessive mods that will add considerable time to your project.
My project start from sketch,I made every parts including ribs,a wing kit could save time,but couldn't save$$$.

I will be loaded down with aerial billboards and kit, but if your parts are small enough I'd be glad to help. Where are you? My associate Lei, will be traveling to Shenzhen and Wuhan enroute. I'll be in Hong Kong enroute. One of our Huskies is on a sea cruise now and should be in Zhengzhou by 17th Sept for banner flying at the Show.

Also, my friend Walt McFadden may come to be interviewed on CCTV. He was a P-51 fighter pilot, waiting to fly to Japan when they dropped the bomb. A truly amazing man.

Here are some links to the World Air Carnival, celebrating the 70th anniversary of victory over Fascism.

http://wx.zhongledp.tv/zhongchou/3846044.html?from=groupmessage&isappinstalled=0

http://tv.cntv.cn/video/C10598/2d8203ad088048a383762857d5932e36

P.S. My associate in BJ imports AvGas, but you need to buy an ISO container. That'll fuel your Cub for years to come.

I will be loaded down with aerial billboards and kit, but if your parts are small enough I'd be glad to help. Where are you? My associate Lei, will be traveling to Shenzhen and Wuhan enroute. I'll be in Hong Kong enroute. One of our Huskies is on a sea cruise now and should be in Zhengzhou by 17th Sept for banner flying at the Show.

Also, my friend Walt McFadden may come to be interviewed on CCTV. He was a P-51 fighter pilot, waiting to fly to Japan when they dropped the bomb. A truly amazing man.

Here are some links to the World Air Carnival, celebrating the 70th anniversary of victory over Fascism.

http://wx.zhongledp.tv/zhongchou/3846044.html?from=groupmessage&isappinstalled=0

http://tv.cntv.cn/video/C10598/2d8203ad088048a383762857d5932e36

P.S. My associate in BJ imports AvGas, but you need to buy an ISO container. That'll fuel your Cub for years to come.

Wow,CCTV news report this.Its seems you will famous in China.Ya,of course I should order very small and very light parts to your address convenient for you put them in pocket.Becasue if I order only a bolt from US,I have to charge 1000USD roughly for all kind of agent of China custom,such as custom broker,lisensing of import company,inspection agency etc.

Only I want is about 10 pieces bolt&nut,that is AN30 or 26 and a vaccum pump for my instrument.

Thanks .

WhiskeyMike,could you give me your associate Li's number?Maybe I will buy Avgas form him or she.I have your mobile number in China,do you still use it?I sent a message to you in 9 May 2014,but no reply.

Last edited:
IMG_3506.jpgIMG_3576.jpgI track weld axis to tube at 45 degree,i am not sure that's correct if that's 6'' extend ,I think the wheel-base far more than stock cub 72.5in,that may reach 83in,is that right?

Attachments

• IMG_3506.jpg
    IMG_3506.jpg
    729 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_3576.jpg
    IMG_3576.jpg
    747.1 KB · Views: 313
Last edited:

I understand what 3x3 gear is,that's extend 3''leg length and move the axle 3'' forward.Thank you very much.

Could anybody tell me,should I change angle of tube to axls for keep wheel-base at 72.5''?or keep angle at 45 degree?

I had a 6'' extended gear. About 73'' inside disk brake, and about 86.5'' outside axle to axle.

I would keep the angle at 45 degrees.

I had a 6'' extended gear. About 73'' inside disk brake, and about 86.5'' outside axle to axle.

I would keep the angle at 45 degrees.
Thank you so much,actually I am waiting for the answer.I am fabricating a 6X3 HD landing gear,I never heard somebody had do this.Front tube 1 3/8 thickness .08inch,I am not sure this is a right way.

I will keep the angle at 45.Thank you again.

WhiskeyMike,could you give me your associate Li's number?Maybe I will buy Avgas form him or she.I have your mobile number in China,do you still use it?I sent a message to you in 9 May 2014,but no reply.
You can reach her on WeChat at Sunny-US-HK. She is not fuel supplier. Talk Chinese to here. She's in Arizona.

Not good to be good:
When I finished fabricate my fuselage,I find the front bend of lower longeron tube is too near from crossbeam tube that result in no space for mount the landing gear bracket,the picture shows this situation.
5(Z9OWJR1$F({%1MUS0XEAE.pngThat's not a good thing,so I had to think of another way to mount the bracket in right position until Fortysix12 suggest me fabricate a 3X3 landing gear for safe,then I got a idea why not fabricate a 6X3 landing gear just use that bad bend?I adjust and rotate the bracket until the gear leg 3'' forward,just fine,don't have to make a crooked joint.Finished picture as below:
IMG_3569.jpgIMG_5135.jpg

Thanks Bug66,I refer to your medthod using a C channal steel to locate the axls tube,when the crossbeam tube is at zero degree the stance is 88.5'' outside of axls to axls,I am not sure why 2'' biger than Olibuil's.My front leg stand at 45 degree precisely,does somebody can explain that to me ?
IMG_3627.jpg

Attachments

• 5(Z9OWJR1$F({%1MUS0XEAE.png
    5(Z9OWJR1$F({%1MUS0XEAE.png
    823.6 KB · Views: 387
  • IMG_3569.jpg
    IMG_3569.jpg
    834.3 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_5135.jpg
    IMG_5135.jpg
    599.3 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_3627.jpg
    IMG_3627.jpg
    661.2 KB · Views: 245
I need to build a brand new baby, and I need riblett66 "wings, to get a very good performance. But riblett66 "wing of the control and the body is connected with the pa18 completely different, I do not know how to connect the body? Which have riblett66 "wings of the drawings? I also need to connect with the fuselage with the control method, the pulley position? Who can help me to solve this problem, thank you!

I need to build a brand new baby, and I need riblett66 "wings, to get a very good performance. But riblett66 "wing of the control and the body is connected with the pa18 completely different, I do not know how to connect the body? Which have riblett66 "wings of the drawings? I also need to connect with the fuselage with the control method, the pulley position? Who can help me to solve this problem, thank you!

Same with stock cub.Wing spar 31'',same.

You can't imagine why the tail extension 3". Hair picture enjoy a turn. Where has changed? What's the difference between the pa18 and you see who's baby is so much improved. Thank you

Puzzling. Let me take a crack at deciphering the meaning behind this botched translation...

You can't imagine why the tail extension 3".
- ..."the tail extends 3 inches"
- Cub wing has a 63" chord, Riblett has a 66" chord. This kind of makes sense.

Hair picture enjoy a turn. - "Top surface looks like a curve"
- Hair = top surface, picture = look, enjoy = like, a turn = a curve. Ok, this is a stretch, but I'm stumped otherwise.

What's the difference between the pa18 and you see who's baby is so much improved.
- I don't know who "you see who" is, but I'm pretty sure "baby" = Cub, and "so much improved" = Super.

I may be completely wrong, but at least I tried. Now I'm off to register BabyisSomuchimproved.org.

Heavy meds and keyboards can create confusion. And all that jibberish managed to make it into several threads.

I'm afraid to know what that says about my condition if I convinced myself that I managed to make sense of it... Joking aside, I think justright135 used a translation program, but only translated one word at a time. Without context, even a good translator will produce nonsense.

Maybe Justright135 come from Mars,very hard understanding his English,to me Chinese.Thanks for fancypants's explaination.And I can feel his confusion and impulsion.

Back