• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

A chinese's PA18 project----I need your sugestion.

Sageelite,

One of my Huskies is onboard a freighter and on its way back to Shanjie, Zhengzhou to fly Skyboard® banners from mid April through May 1 at the World Aerobatic competition.

See you there? Maybe someone will show up with a Top Cub CC-18. Too bad you're not ready to fly there! That would be a first in China! Do you know the guy in Shaoguan
who built the Skyraider (Kitfox look alike) LSA?

Wayne Husky ZZ.jpg

Attachments

• Wayne Husky ZZ.jpg
    Wayne Husky ZZ.jpg
    853.9 KB · Views: 308
Sageelite,

One of my Huskies is onboard a freighter and on its way back to Shanjie, Zhengzhou to fly Skyboard® banners from mid April through May 1 at the World Aerobatic competition.

See you there? Maybe someone will show up with a Top Cub CC-18. Too bad you're not ready to fly there! That would be a first in China! Do you know the guy in Shaoguan
who built the Skyraider (Kitfox look alike) LSA?

View attachment 30407
Hi,Mike.I havn't any plan to participate any competition or air show.But welcome to China.I wouldn't go anywhere in 1st,May.Too crowded.In the past those months I am busy on my new company that focus on Enterpris Resource Planning(ERP) software&service.Plenty of works I have to do so I suspend posting here for a couple of month.

Yes,I know someone fabricate a kitfox/Shyraider in ShaoGuan and show in CCTV.Personally to speaking,I prefer to keep a low profile.I know fabricate a aircraft is very common in America.

98.jpg
Another new message,I am planning a SuperCub company in China.But I lack of money,If someone willing to do my investment shareholders or loan to me pls contact me directly. China is building hundreds of small airport since 2015 and American(or the world) want more safe&high quality&cheap pa18.Let's more Americans can fly a CUB!Let's do it!

Attachments

• 98.jpg
    98.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
I am busy on my business in past one year,so I havn't update the post.sorry for that.Recently, I gradually started my construction project.In those days,I find the trade war between America&China would slow down my PA18 project,it's said there would be harder to import aircraft parts from America.So,I have to make turnbuckles by myself.I purchased 304 stainless steel turn buckles in China and modified them for my elevator cable assembles.But I'm not sure if the intensity is enough.Please give me your advice.
Turnbuckle barrels are made of 304 stainless steel,havn't slot inside.Cable eye is eye bearing purchased,that's froged steel.fork ends machined from a round bar that is 4130 alloy steel.Welding screw and turnbuckle after adjustment,if need readjust cable tension I would change a new one.304 turnbuckles for 2 USD,bearing for 1USD,total in 4USD,it's cheap.
1454579281.jpg

Attachments

• 1454579281.jpg
    1454579281.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
I'm wondering how the flying will be for you in China, when flying jets there it seemed a little confusing to say the least. The military commanders of the region controlled all the airspace in their area and would open and close airspace at their will. Once in BJ the controllers off-set us and launched a turbo-prop at us then gave us a turn on the LOC when he started a turn off the loc .at that point I was wondering what would happen if one was to go- around. Made Kennedy seem orderly,lol.

No problem flying in China.General aviation develop very fast in China in recent years.

I am busy on my business in past one year,so I havn't update the post.sorry for that.Recently, I gradually started my construction project.In those days,I find the trade war between America&China would slow down my PA18 project,it's said there would be harder to import aircraft parts from America.So,I have to make turnbuckles by myself.I purchased 304 stainless steel turn buckles in China and modified them for my elevator cable assembles.But I'm not sure if the intensity is enough.Please give me your advice.
Turnbuckle barrels are made of 304 stainless steel,havn't slot inside.Cable eye is eye bearing purchased,that's froged steel.fork ends machined from a round bar that is 4130 alloy steel.Welding screw and turnbuckle after adjustment,if need readjust cable tension I would change a new one.304 turnbuckles for 2 USD,bearing for 1USD,total in 4USD,it's cheap.
View attachment 38868

Well, that is certainly one way to do it! You could ditch/lose the nut if you are welding the ends. Epoxy, that you could heat up to soften/release, would be another way to lock ends, without having to replace every time you need to adjust.

Well, that is certainly one way to do it! You could ditch/lose the nut if you are welding the ends. Epoxy, that you could heat up to soften/release, would be another way to lock ends, without having to replace every time you need to adjust.

Good idea,modern glue is very powerful,thank you Nanook.

Good idea,modern glue is very powerful,thank you Nanook.

There are many glues designed for locking fasteners, "Locktite" being a brand that now produces many of it's products in China.
I am also using bearing ends on my build with lock nuts the same way you are.

I have really enjoyed reading your build and seeing how much more freedom is coming to your country as aviation becomes popular there.

Beautiful work on the turnbuckle. I admire your skills. It saddens me to think such good work must be thrown away if an adjustment becomes necessary. Of course the internal groove in the barrel is for safety springs which would need a matching groove in your rod ends to work. Also with some imagination safety wire would work. Perhaps a 1.5 mm hole drilled through the meaty area of the rod end and safety wire would make your beautiful turnbuckles reusable. I am sorry world politics is affecting your access to parts. Joe

r u Chinese?

Sagelite, If you're around, I'm flying the A-1 Cubsky towing banners and Skywriting at the Alxa Air Show And Dune Buggy Rally, Inner Mongolia until the 6th. Flying here next to the Gobi Desert is pretty amazing. Can you come visit?

我在美国,中国现在有一个在大连生产小熊飞机的厂家。据说是收购了美国的小熊公司,我不确定,应该是很老旧的型号?多么牛逼克斯拉的老铁,不给666合适吗?在中国建造cub真是勇气可嘉,应该是举步维艰,基本90%的配件都要在我国进口,天呐不可想象,这跟老外学中国的京剧相声一样,难吗?不要担心我汉语八级,你觉得小熊飞机的图纸会买到能加工级别的吗?都会有问题的关键部位不会有图纸或者图纸不全,在美国大把的成品配件和技术制造。

我在美国,中国现在有一个在大连生产小熊飞机的厂家。据说是收购了美国的小熊公司,我不确定,应该是很老旧的型号?多么牛逼克斯拉的老铁,不给666合适吗?在中国建造cub真是勇气可嘉,应该是举步维艰,基本90%的配件都要在我国进口,天呐不可想象,这跟老外学中国的京剧相声一样,难吗?不要担心我汉语八级,你觉得小熊飞机的图纸会买到能加工级别的吗?都会有问题的关键部位不会有图纸或者图纸不全,在美国大把的成品配件和技术制造。

Please use English for your forum posts.

Thank you!

sj

johnson, google translate is your friend.:lol: nited States, China now has a manufacturer of bear aircraft in Dalian. It is said that the company has acquired the American Bear Company. I am not sure, it should be a very old model. How old is the old iron of the ox, isn’t it suitable for 666? It is really courageous to build cub in China. It should be difficult. Basic 90% of the accessories must be imported in China. It is unimaginable. This is the same as the Chinese Peking Opera in China. Is it difficult? Don't worry about my Chinese level eight. Do you think that the drawings of the bear plane will buy the processing level? The key parts that will have problems will not have drawings or incomplete drawings, and a large number of finished parts and technology manufacturing in the United States.

Sagelite, If you're around, I'm flying the A-1 Cubsky towing banners and Skywriting at the Alxa Air Show And Dune Buggy Rally, Inner Mongolia until the 6th. Flying here next to the Gobi Desert is pretty amazing. Can you come visit?

I am so sorry see your post just now,1th-7th October is National Day of China,I am in xi‘an city that about 300 miles to Hohhot City,Inner Mongolia.It is a pity that I missed the wonderful show.Wish next time I could have see your fly with my eyes and meet you in china,appreciate to you help me a lot on my cub project.

Jutsrigh135's chinese is very well,but I guess that translate from english by google,a little stiff:wink:.Cubcraffters was bought by a Chinese named Qian Zhijun,I met this guy in Dalian,2016.Here are pictures about DaLian cub factory.DALIAN.jpgDALIAN2.jpgDALIAN3.jpg

Attachments

• DALIAN.jpg
    DALIAN.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 381
  • DALIAN2.jpg
    DALIAN2.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 333
  • DALIAN3.jpg
    DALIAN3.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 338
Justright135,please do not doubt the level of China's manufacturing industry,China make everything,The following photos is product of a manufacturing company I visited recently,maybe that could show the level of China's manufacturing industry.One of the parameters I know is steel structure of this 3D printer permissible error is +/-0.01mm,equal to +/-0.000394inch,that's very hard to control shrinkage and buckling distortion for a 10 feet hight and 20 feet width welding parts.
3Dprinter2.jpg3Dprinter3.jpgThe casting part's surface.

Attachments

• 3Dprinter2.jpg
    3Dprinter2.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 279
  • 3Dprinter3.jpg
    3Dprinter3.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 438
Here is some advice from 50+ years in aviation. New/ experimental parts that won't kill you if they don't work , carefully try one at a time, never a bunch of new stuff at one time. Parts that can kill you , like a prop, use proven parts. I.e. Cato propeller, whirlwind propeller are two good choices. You will have plenty to deal with learning to fly the new airplane that's working correctly, leave the test flying new equipment to someone else.

Last edited:
Hi,anybody know Sterna Propeller?Someone recommend me use this prop on my PA18 project.

I am quite familiar with Ed Sterba and Sterba propellers. Ed makes a decent quality wooden propeller targeted to the economy market. The KR guys love them for their VW and Corvair planes. I have flown behind Sterba props. They are one of the better quality economy props. A Catto prop is a much nicer prop and is superior to a Sterba prop, but also costs 4 - 5 times as much. It just depends on your goals. The Sterba prop would be a good, inexpensive prop to use during test flying while learning your plane. Ed uses an embedded polyurethane leading edge on his props that does a nice job of kicking rocks off the leading edge without damaging the prop.

-Cub Builder

在中国如果买一个熊飞机需要280万人民币,这显然不是不是普通人能接受的价格,不过在中国最近几年也有那么一些人在建造属于他们的小熊飞机,你的小熊飞机建造的很艰难而且速度慢的很。分享出来的照片有那么少?

Back