Thread: New Seats By Sport Aircraft Seats

Post Thanks / Like

New Seats By Sport Aircraft Seats

A good product plug for Sport Aircraft seat and Daniel Maccarone. I got tired of the brown cloth seats that did not match anything and decided to change them out to something more stylish. I saw Daniels seats on a rebuild when I was at Dan Byker's shop in Iowa and thought they looked very nice. I contacted Daniel at Sport Aircraft Seats, http://www.sportaircraftseats.com/sp...eats/Home.html he was very easy to work with and great to communicate with even though He is in Wasilla Alaska and I am in Peoria, Illinois. Seats fit perfectly and give much more support than the old ones. Here is a picture of the old and the new seats. I would highly reccomend Sport Aircraft seats if you are looking to replace your seats.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3237.jpg 
Views:	353 
Size:	869.3 KB 
ID:	15326 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3372.JPG 
Views:	588 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	15327

Post Thanks / Like
    Schuler, I second that. Daniel was easy to deal with. I arranged a purchase for a front seat for my -18 over the phone. I'm pleased with the product and the price was very fair. I plan on having Daniel do the seats in my Dad's cub also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Price?

Post Thanks / Like
    got it

Post Thanks / Like
    What seat are the ones you replaced, would you like to sell them maybe?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bighorn View Post
    Price?
    Bighorn, They got several options. The one I bought runs about 700$. It's approved for use by FAA.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll set on an Apple box for $700.

Post Thanks / Like
    Best cub seats available - Buster's Upholstery in Anchorage!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mghallen View Post
    What seat are the ones you replaced, would you like to sell them maybe?
    I think I'll hang onto them a while. The new ones are 1/2 inch taller and the foam is newer, a person over 6' will hit their head on the cross tubes with the new seats. I think I'll keep them until the new ones are broken in. This brings me to another question: What's the tallest super cub pilot you know? I'm 6 foot and I barely fit in my 1954 L21B. How does a "Big Boy" get in a SuperCub?

Name:	GOPR2362.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	920.0 KB 
ID:	15337

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SchulerJL View Post
    This brings me to another question: What's the tallest super cub pilot you know? I'm 6 foot and I barely fit in my 1954 L21B. How does a "Big Boy" get in a SuperCub?
    Boy, you can say that again. I'm 6'1", my seat track has been adjusted further back so that there is no room for the rear stick. I leave my shoes off when flying. Even with a wide body fuselage, there is minimal room. Haven't banged my head, yet.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skywagon8a View Post
    Boy, you can say that again. I'm 6'1", my seat track has been adjusted further back so that there is no room for the rear stick. I leave my shoes off when flying. Even with a wide body fuselage, there is minimal room. Haven't banged my head, yet.
    Good to hear - I thought my plane was shrunk. Thinking back to other posts about what shoes to wear when flying, it is interesting to hear you fly without shoes. Some had said they wear Bunny Boots, Hiking shoes etc. - I could not get into my plane with boots on. I guess Cubs were made for 1940 sized people.

P.S. I do not have a wide body fuselage

Post Thanks / Like
    You dont get in a cub, you put it on!

Posted Using the Free SuperCub.Org Android App!

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I'll hang onto them a while. The new ones are 1/2 inch taller and the foam is newer, a person over 6' will hit their head on the cross tubes with the new seats. I think I'll keep them until the new ones are broken in. This brings me to another question: What's the tallest super cub pilot you know? I'm 6 foot and I barely fit in my 1954 L21B. How does a "Big Boy" get in a SuperCub?

Name:	GOPR2362.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	920.0 KB 
ID:	15337

I can introduce you to a gent in FAI who owns a Cub, and he's 6 ft 7 on a short day. Never could figure out how he gets in that thing.

Many tears ago, a cowboy friend of mine in eastern MT flew a Super Cub and got in and out wearing his cowboy hat. He was 6 ft 6.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm 6'2" and the Super Cub fits me like a glove. Usually wearing boots.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got my tail wheel endorsement in a Super Cub last year (10 hours dual) 6'3" not Fat but not skinny either (3x size 17" neck). Everyone would chuckle when I would crawl in and out. Looked like a big carp flopping on the ground.
    I really loved the Super Cub and really wanted to buy one but my body just doesn't bend in the places it use to. I settle on a Champ with a o-235, a little more room. My friend (who taught me in the Cub) and I do formation flying every once and awhile during the summer and they match up pretty good. I'm o.k. with that atleast I get to look at it right next to me, and every once in a great while someone will come along and like my Champ better. We just grin and try to avoid the Red- Green, or Ford Chevy discussion.

Post Thanks / Like
    What type of foam are they made with? After looking at your pictures, I realize that the reason I fit in my Cub without any trouble is probably due to the relatively thin cushions I have.

Ah, just found this:

What type of foam do you use?

It depends on the type and use of aircraft. For most of our seat cushions we use layered HR Poly Foam. It is a very long lasting durable foam that complies with the FAR and can be used for most Part 135 applications. If fireblocking is required we use DAX Firehard foam.

Do you use memory foam?

We do not use memory foam in any of our seats for a number of reasons.

1. Lifespan: Memory foam has about 1/5th the life span of our HR Poly and Dax Firehard foams.
    2. Freezing: It freezes solid in the winter and depending on how cold it is can take 30 minutes or more to soften.
    3. Cost: It cost more than twice what our HR Poly foam costs.

Post Thanks / Like
    The new cushions are indeed fire resistant foam and are about 1/4'thicker but they are not as "broken in" so the seat does sit higher. I just switched to 3" extended gear from Airframes and I still have great over the nose visibility with 31" Bushwheels. I originally was thinking memory foam, but found put it is very hard in the cold and very heavy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Post Thanks / Like
    How are you liking the seat cushions? I'm looking into new ones, after my last cross country, I'm looking for something more comfortable.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisedByWolves View Post
    How are you liking the seat cushions? I'm looking into new ones, after my last cross country, I'm looking for something more comfortable.

Tom
    They are great! they have broken in just fine and the leather looks like new. I may actually part with the old ones are taking up a shelf in the hangar.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm torn between these and Oregon aero. The oregons are a little cheaper. And I've flown with them and know they are comfortable.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm torn between these and Oregon aero. The oregons are a little cheaper. And I've flown with them and know they are comfortable.
    The Oregon Aero seats are great. I've got their front seat cushion in my 11. Very nice.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got Oregon Aero's in the SQ2 and they are super comfortable, even sitting in them all day for six days from Alaska to Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnstormer View Post
    I've got Oregon Aero's in the SQ2 and they are super comfortable, even sitting in them all day for six days from Alaska to Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Photo?

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure - but I think Oregon Aero are memory foam. The problem with memory foam is that in the cold it is a rock until your butt warms it. That may not be a problem in Texas. Someone correct me if I am wrong on this.

Post Thanks / Like

SQ2 Oregon Aero Seats

I'm not sure - but I think Oregon Aero are memory foam. The problem with memory foam is that in the cold it is a rock until your butt warms it. That may not be a problem in Texas. Someone correct me if I am wrong on this.
    I can't speak to whether or not it's memory foam, but I can speak to flying in -4F degrees and first thing in the morning after sitting all night in even colder temps the seats in the SQ2 felt no different then they do now when it's 80F outside.

Name:	photo 1 copy 2.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	111.4 KB 
ID:	24251

Name:	photo 2 copy.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	24252

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnstormer View Post
    I can't speak to whether or not it's memory foam, but I can speak to flying in -4F degrees and first thing in the morning after sitting all night in even colder temps the seats in the SQ2 felt no different then they do now when it's 80F outside.

Name:	photo 1 copy 2.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	111.4 KB 
ID:	24251

Name:	photo 2 copy.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	24252
    For cold weather I put in a 1 inch thick heated car seat pad that I bought at Bed Bath and Beyond for $20, plug it in to the 12 volt outlet and stay very warm. Heat is almost instant and has two settings. I did need to up the fuse size on the outlet, I'm sure its not fire proof but, I'm sure I could get it out of the plane very quickly if I smell f

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, Oregon Aero uses "memory foam" in their seats. I've spent a few thousand hours flying in these seats, including a fair amount of that time in interior Alaska winters. Yes, the foam is hard for a little while when it's cold, but your butt warms it quickly and you "melt" into the seat. That's the beauty of "memory or confor foam"- it conforms to you and provides superb support and comfort. The cold never bothered me at all.

We did add seat heaters, but they really aren't necessary.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Watson View Post
    For cold weather I put in a 1 inch thick heated car seat pad that I bought at Bed Bath and Beyond for $20, plug it in to the 12 volt outlet and stay very warm. Heat is almost instant and has two settings. I did need to up the fuse size on the outlet, I'm sure its not fire proof but, I'm sure I could get it out of the plane very quickly if I smell f
    Bill, you might want to check if the 12 v outlet has adequate wire size to support the demands of the heating pad. Fuse is there to protect the system as well as what you are powering.
    if you smell smoke, it may be the wires under your panel, not your butt, in this case maybe both...
    just sayin
    Last edited by Oliver; 02-16-2016 at 10:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had Oregon Aero seats installed since 2009 in my PA18. They're great. One problem: they're only as good as the underlying support. I had already replaced the bottom seat springs with solid panels, so no problem there, especially given the thick memory foam.

But after a few years, I found it helpful to strengthen the pilot backrest springs by interlacing wood strips horizontally across the springs in the lumbar region and up. Tune the number of strips as needed.

No problem with cold, they soften up within minutes (although I haven't any experience with the plane sitting out below 20 F.).

Post Thanks / Like
    All you guys are candy asses stock cushions work fine.

https://youtu.be/S0gJFY1pFjs

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Says the guy looking for new seat cushions.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up 2 thumbs up for O A

i'd give them more thumbs, But thats all Ive got!
    Best Cushions Ive ever had. and they wear like iron! I'm sure theres many other good ones out there But Oregon Aero has a loyal customer here.