• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Dodge Cummins

Im considering a duramax next, i think it would be great to hear about them. Not where one is better than the other but where there week and strong points are. Probably help a lot of us out.

From what I gather the 06/07 were some of the better years, went from the 5 spd ally to the 6 spd and this was just before they started to smother the engines with emission stuff.

I've had two Duramax trucks but went back to gas on my latest truck. The diesel truck chassis used to be heavier duty but now the HD series chassis is the same with gas or diesel. The Duramax upgrade is close to $10K and the newer ones require urea injection and a urea tank to meet emission standards. My two Duramax's both had fuel totalizers and averaged about 12mpg for the years I owned them.I enjoyed both. Lots of power and really good cold starting. The gas engine fuel use is about identical so with diesel costing more than gas my fuel bill is reduced by a little. My 6L gas engine pulls my 7000# trailer just fine and overall the truck is way more comfortable to drive for everyday use. My wife hated the diesels and has said many times how this new truck is the nicest truck we've ever had. I have a half ton 2wd 5.3L down south and an identical looking 4wd three qtr ton 6.0L up north. I prefer the 2500HD in every way. Great truck.

Early models like '01 and '02 had internal injectors that had some issues and made service more difficult. Mid-2000s models changed to external injectors, had more power, and in '06 went to the 6 speed Allison. '08 saw the intro of the exhaust incinerator. My '07 definitely had more power and smoother shifting than the '02. The Duramax was never eligible for the auto 4wd option. The hubs are auto (fairly quick to engage but not instant) but the truck is in 2 or 4 wheel depending on the driver's selection.

Last edited:
I towed out one of them duramax with the cummins dodge 8)
We thought it was broken down but turns out we just couldn't hear it running over our dodge:roll:

I have made 4 trips to and from SD - AK in the last 12 months all pulling trailers. The first was last May in an F-350 Crew pulling a 40' toyhauler. Weight of that load (truck and trailer was about 25K).
The next 3 loads were in a F-550 pulling 40' trailers. The load in November had a combined weight of 38,800 lbs--(it was the trip from hell). This spring loads with total weight of 42,300 lbs and 38,200 lbs. Both F-350 and the F-550 had the 6.7 diesel engine. Tremendous power in that engine with 400 HP and 860 ft.lbs of torque. By the way the new (15) has 440 HP and 860 ft.lbs of torque.
The 550 had two tanks that totaled 68 gallons plus I had a 100 gallon fuel tank that I mounted in the back for a total usable of 168 gallons. It worked very well to get me between fuel stops and through the nights. In addition it allowed me to skip some of the more expensive fuel stops and I was able to save a little on fuel.
I have no intention of making this trip again for some time.:-? However right now, I am intimately familiar with the route and stops so if anyone is thinking of making this trip in the near future and needs any advise I can be of assistance.
tom

Currently run 4 pre07 cummins in my diver fleet. Young divers know 2 speeds- full ahead and broke! Cummins in dodges are about the only thing I can get to survive their torture. The auto trannys behind the cummins are a tad troublesome if abused. Other than an injector pump fixed under warranty in a 2000 dually with 1100 miles on it ,we have never had a head off or any problem with the engine itself .We trade the trucks off at 300k+ miles and have had the last 6 make it fine. Post 06 cummins I had, I got rid of because of horrible fuel economy. Always looking for clean 03-06 5.9 pickups.

EPA has it figured out that we need to burn twice the fuel in order to have exhaust twice as clean. I cant see where thats a gain.

first half of 07 were the 5.9 with the 6 speed auto and get great mileage.. mines the 6.7. When i got it it was getting 13-15 mpg at 65-70 mph about 80% highway depending on how many DPF cycles it went through. Now, through fairy magic, i get a solid 19 mpg at 70-75 on the same drive.

first half of 07 were the 5.9 with the 6 speed auto and get great mileage.. mines the 6.7. When i got it it was getting 13-15 mpg at 65-70 mph about 80% highway depending on how many DPF cycles it went through. Now, through fairy magic, i get a solid 19 mpg at 70-75 on the same drive.[/QUOTEame fairy]

Ha, the same fairy visited my 08, 6.7

My 01 gets 19 mpg in town 25 on the highway. Burn #2 heating oil instead of the low-sulfur crap...

I don't know if you can get good old heavy #2 up here anymore. I was told that neither flint hills or Tesoro was going to make anything other then ulsd #2. You can still get regular #1 with jet a. Getting heating oil is the way to go save on the tax. Up here it's .324 a gal.

Sourdough Fuel bulk plant has #2 heating oil. Easiest to put a tank in the back of the truck with a 12v pump. Buy 50 gal or more at a time for discount. Truck runs stronger on #2 but you need an additive to use in winter to lower the pour point. This #2 up here is good to -15F, additive makes it good to -40.....

If what I heard is true and they don't make the heavy #2. There just selling ulsd as heating oil. From when I worked with a fuel company a 50/50 blend is good to -15/-20 range I can't remember on straight #2 but with some power service it drops it down a far ways. I have a Greer tank in the back of mine for the same reason save where I can.

Last edited:
Back