• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Sutton Exhaust EGT probe location

Gilbert Pierce

Germantown, Tennessee
Does anyone have 4 cylinder EGT probes on your Sutton exhaust? If so at what distance from the port did you mount them?

Due to the stack configuration it looks difficult to get them the same dimension from the ports.

I couldn't get them at the same distances from the ports due to the clamps. I can measure them tomorrow if you want?
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    883.9 KB · Views: 327
Thanks, I can see from the picture what you did.

What effect if any did you see in your EGT temperatures because of the different spacing from the ports?

i assumed I could not get the distances equal but am curious about what effect that had on the readings?

Not much effect in my opion cause I do not put much stake in the actual number. I use values more so for trouble shooting and determining peak egt. Here is shot at 2500 r's, leaned to peak, 2 sec intervals.
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 191
Delta Charlie, is that an EI probe? Is that their software? I could not get the right computer combination to get it to download from mine.

sj

Hi Steve, I use a jpi and the software is from Savvy Analysis. Download your data to a online account, it fairly easy, they store the data and there is no cost for the service. Here is there website savvyanalysis.com let know your thoughts?

Thanks Delta Charlie. I don't worry or put much faith in the absolute numbers either. I was mainly concerned about spread. Looking at your data indicates it's not an issue and thinking about it further my concern was unwarranted as we'll.

I am going to locate the probes as you did, determine the new normal spread and not worry about it as long as it is constant.
Thanks again for your response.

I have an EI. Need to get my download issues figured out, which I frankly have not put much effort into for at least a year.

sj

It's easy if you have the software on a lap top. Plug into the outlet port and follow EI's instructions. You need an adapter probably to go from EI DB9 plug to a USB to plug into your laptop.

Gilbert, you know I am kinda slow at this computer stuff..... :) I tried to use an old XP laptop I had that had a serial port, but it downloaded for about an hour and then crashed.

sj

P.S. Missed you in Graham! You would not believe how organized your son is getting!

sj

T
P.S. ! You would not believe how organized your son is getting!

sj
God to hear it. Ive been on his case about that since the start.
Ya right-guess your too old to embrace all the new technology. You just need to rearrange your priorities and got-er-done.

I use an old XP no problem. If you have never downloaded it you probably have a terabyte of data and your XP gave up. Erase all the stored data. You don't need the computer connected to that. Push the switch down and hold it down and then power up EI. You get some blinking lights to let you know it dumped its load. Go fly and try again. I try to download mine about every 30 hours or so if I remember. Other wise it does take a long time. Now that I mention it I have about 150 hours since I downloaded it so tomorrow I'll go dump it.

Last edited:
I´m just installing my Sutton Exhaust for my PA18 and realized you cannot put your EGT probes at 1-1/2" below the exhaust ports as EI recommends (for CGR-30 instrument). As I know, they should all be the same distance from the Exhaust Port but is not possible. I need your help: Where did you mount your probes? Sutton Exhaust and 4 cylinder EI EGT probes. Could you send me some photos of each probes location?

Thanks
Francisco Drovetta
Entre Rios, Argentina
PA18A LV-GBR

C5978643-0CB4-4085-8910-2813D9C2FD74.jpeg

PA-12, Sutton exhaust, JPI EDM 900. I never download the data figuring I’ll do it if there’s a problem.

Attachments

• C5978643-0CB4-4085-8910-2813D9C2FD74.jpeg
    C5978643-0CB4-4085-8910-2813D9C2FD74.jpeg
    170.1 KB · Views: 199
Hi!
Important Notice: (For EI EGTs probes)
The 1-1/2" is no longer recommend distance for EGT probe installation
Now, will be positioned 2-5 inches away from exhaust flange.
I just received email from EI tech support.

I will install them 4"-1/2 from exhaust
All probes will be in the same location with Sutton Exhaust
will work great!

Francisco DrovettaWhatsApp Image 2018-01-08  Will work OK.jpeg
Entre Rios, Argentina
PA18A LV-GBR

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2018-01-08  Will work OK.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2018-01-08 Will work OK.jpeg
    101.2 KB · Views: 186
Installed!
4" 1/2 from exhaust port
As new recomendation from EI Tech support.

Francisco Drovetta
Entre Rios, Argentina
PA18A LV-GBR

WhatsApp Image 2018-01-08 at 9.03.37 PM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2018-01-08 at 9.03.35 PM.jpeg

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2018-01-08 at 9.03.37 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2018-01-08 at 9.03.37 PM.jpeg
    123.4 KB · Views: 160
  • WhatsApp Image 2018-01-08 at 9.03.35 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2018-01-08 at 9.03.35 PM.jpeg
    128.2 KB · Views: 153
Back