• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Willow Mountain Ranch Lowered Floor STC

Steve Pierce

BENEFACTOR
Graham, TX
Anybody have any experience with the Willow Mountain Ranch Lowered Floor STC? Looks like a good way to go.
Lowered Baggage Floor 011.jpg

Lowered Baggage Floor 004.jpg

Lowered Baggage Floor 007.jpg

Attachments

• Willow Mountain Ranch Lowered Floor STC.pdf
    5.5 MB · Views: 598
  • Lowered Baggage Floor 011.jpg
    Lowered Baggage Floor 011.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 3,311
  • Lowered Baggage Floor 004.jpg
    Lowered Baggage Floor 004.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 3,250
  • Lowered Baggage Floor 007.jpg
    Lowered Baggage Floor 007.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 2,989
hmm... you're not gonna be sleeping in there now, with those rear seat bars still there now..... where as a normal extended baggage has a nice ~flat floor to sleep on....

why run rudder cables INSIDE??? it's not like you will be able to use that area....

and I see seat belt attaches, do they get a 3rd seat out of that STC too?

probably want the big baggage door/dogleg now too... http://www.performanceairmotive.com/doors.html

My brother sleeps in his and laughs at us messing with our tents but I don't think I would be comfortable either way. Looks like less work, weight and more room than a Cub Crafters or Atlee Dodge extended baggage. Needs removable seat tubes like the front tube in the "A" model.

The STC is $400 and provides 170 lb baggage floor/3rd seat and 30 lbs aft of the inverted dogleg. Guess we need to get an approval for rear seat bottom removable tubes like the A model for sleeping.

Lowered floorboards STC with cables under floor and battery box.

I just installed two new STC's in my trainer Cub, N7461L. Ken MacDonald (Willow Mountain Ranch) recently received a STC to put a battery between the pilot rudder pedals. I love the battery in this location. It allows for the shortest cable run to the starter. Additionally, I makes it easier to find the brakes with your heels. You just kick in your heels and push. Never again will you miss your brake pedals. Twenty years ago I put the battery in this location via field approval in N8976D. Finally there is a STC to do this modification.

In addition, Ken received a STC for a gigantic baggage. The STC routes the elevator cables below the fuselage and lowers the floorboards. This STC allows for 170 pounds in the baggage area ahead of the dog-leg and 30 pounds behind the dog-leg. Airframes Alaska is tooled up and has installed this mod on several fuselages including my son Jacob's new fuselage.

I fail to see any advantages to this mod. Someone want to enlighten me.

Steve, if you look on the Airframes Alaska web site they have some install pics...

Ron Sullivan's third seat mod along with the flat floor extended baggage gives you 180/20lbs and you keep your underseat storage and sleep on a flat surface.....maybe I'm missing something....

I was thing of making the seat tube removable like the A model. I guess the advantage as I see it would be weight, volume and less work and cost for extended baggage. The only choices I see are Atlee Dodge and Cub crafters.

Some of us like the extra cargo volume in depth. This mod provides several inches more depth to the cargo area. I will take that extra room, thank you. And I have not yet slept in a Cub........still a cheechako sleeping on the ground with the bears....oh well.

This STC also leaves the choice of flooring material open to the installer. The floor laying on the lower fuselage tubes allows use of a lighter floor material as well.

I would think guys would be happy about a new STC simply because it proves that at least SOMEONE was able to get paperwork through the beauracracy...............I am happy.

Is the rear backseat tube structural? It doesn't look like it.

good question..
remember all the holes drilled in an original one for the springs....
the tube the front one is welded to always is bent like spaghetti... is that from gear fitting loads, or from cargo/people loads?
that useless goofy gross weight bar/bracket is attached to it

I was thing of making the seat tube removable like the A model..
I wounded if you could get away with that saying the sister airplane is configured that way on a field approval, like we do when converting a -12 from that bar to a -14 style cathedral...
on the -12 I was allowed to remove the rear one since the front tube went completely away when I installed the crosswinds big cargo door STC(field on -12) on both sides
and then make my own seat

Ken's new STC received lots of bantering on the lowered floorboards. I still think is the best mod that can made to a Cub since the Borer prop STC. However, it appears that no one is interested in Ken's new battery box mod.

Hello everyone,
I'm not much of a computer person, nor do I want to be. However, I feel compelled to present my info so I can help people with questions over the phone.

I have 2 STC's:
1. Battery Box fwd STC
2. Lowered baggage floor STC.

Airframes has a retro fit installation package for sale for the LBF STC. Anyone with a Brake and sheer can make the BBF STC.

responding to Steve Pierce. Here are a few pics of my BBF install.

Thanks all: Ken 907-495-5525

DSCF1548.jpgDSCF1554.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF1548.jpg
    DSCF1548.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 384
  • DSCF1554.jpg
    DSCF1554.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 478
One more time…with feeling:
How well will the Battery Box Fwd STC accommodate a defroster?
Does it allow for variations in placement and cover design?

defrost

One more time…with feeling:
How well will the Battery Box Fwd STC accommodate a defroster?
Does it allow for variations in placement and cover design?

I am going to put a long scat hose on the normal heat outlet and run it under the battery and up through the seat base. The normal heat will be the rear seat heat. I then will put a short hose on the rear seat heat and it will be the pilot heat.

I answered the rear seat heat instead of the defroster question. I have not thought of a good defroster solution.

Does the STC allow for customization of the unit?
Can it be moved aft to accommodate an Atlees defroster?
If not, many Alaskan Supercub owners won't be able to use this mod.

Deviate from STC

Does the STC allow for customization of the unit?
Can it be moved aft to accommodate an Atlees defroster?
If not, many Alaskan Supercub owners won't be able to use this mod.

Deviating from an STC is up to the IA that signs it off. I am currently in the process of fabricating and installing the battery and floorboards in N7461L . I can let you know the feasibility of moving the battery aft in a couple of weeks.

In 1991 I installed and received a field approval for a lead/acid battery box between the brake pedals in N8976D. I had it position far enough aft that it was possible to install a Atlee defrost kit. I ran a heater scat hose over the top of the battery box instead of under it like this STC does. It may be possible to mount the battery flat on the floor and move it aft. If you wish to look at the installation you are welcome to contact me and inspect this installation on N7461L.

Back