• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Chuck and Ryan's Carbon Cub Build Blog

I don't even have a place in my garage to put my Honda Civic.... I would not put a GT40 out for 2 saw horses!

I'm just really jealous... You'll be an happy man when the kit arrives! Keep us inform.

Fear not. The GT will not be 'out.' It will be taking up residence in the hanger until the Cub is ready to trade places.

Chuck

Cub en route.
Mitch at Cub Crafters reported that the Cub was shipped out this past week. He was kind enough to send along some pictures of the parts being loaded into the 18 foot long crate. What I found impressive is that the shipping date was within a couple of business days of what was predicted when the order was placed 12 weeks ago.

Attachments

• Loaded, comp.jpg
    Loaded, comp.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 472
  • CrateComp.jpg
    CrateComp.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 336
Was wondering, does cubcrafters work with you or is it a one all kit for everyone?

Mitch is the go-to guy at CC and I have found him to be both accommodating and available. There are various options available. One can choose when to have the kits delivered, etc. or if you wanted to go you own way, like the instrument panel, skip the CC options and do it. I suspect you might get some resistance if you wanted a different wing configuration or wanted the fuselage powder coated in hot pink.

Hope that answers the question

Chuck

ceslaw, ive never flown a carbon cub, just dreams, so i better watch what i say or do so the wolves wont start coming out of there dens.

How goes the build? I'm hoping to continue covering next month.

jake

Cub Arrives
The Cub arrived on Monday, March 10. Getting it off of a semi tractor trailer and onto a flat bed tilt trailer and then into the garage was quite a challenge. It would have made a great You Tube video.

The first thing built is the left wing. The spars are firmly fastened to the bottom of the crate. So most of the contents of the crate must be removed to get to the spars. The only items opened for now are those needed for the left wing.

Cub Crafters really does an impressive job packaging everything. Boxes are all clearly marked.

Unpacked1.jpgIMG_3884.JPGOnFlatbed.JPGIMG_3891.JPG

Attachments

• Unpacked1.jpg
    Unpacked1.jpg
    672.9 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_3884.JPG
    IMG_3884.JPG
    719.5 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_3891.JPG
    IMG_3891.JPG
    682.2 KB · Views: 302
  • OnFlatbed.JPG
    OnFlatbed.JPG
    841.7 KB · Views: 314
First assembly
The first step in the assembly of the wings was install CNC billet aluminum fittings on the spars. Nice pieces, perfectly formed and glossy smooth finish.

The instructions emphasis the importance of the holes being reamed straight and true. So the initial holes were reamed on a drill press, set up so it would make only one pass, pulling the reamer upward through the hole. Avery provided a cutting lubricant called Boelube, which is used by Boeing, as the name suggests. It is a wax like substance which seems to work well. It is being used for all reaming and drilling, dipping the bit in it with each use.

By the end of the first evening the inboard hinge fittings were in place.

Attachments

• DSC_0008.JPG
    DSC_0008.JPG
    599.9 KB · Views: 265
  • DSC_0045.JPG
    DSC_0045.JPG
    589.3 KB · Views: 251
  • DSC_0009.JPG
    DSC_0009.JPG
    569.2 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
Wings
The directions call for gluing six ribs together, creating “double” ribs. Methacrylate is used, a industrial adhesive with which I was not previously familiar. The directions clearly state that one should wear a respirator to avoid immediate and long term organ damage, as well as gloves and protective clothing, in a well ventilated place. Sounds like a lot of fun. I dutifully followed the directions and glued the halves together in the garage with the door open wearing gloves and a 3M respirator. Never caught a whiff of anything offensive. It really did not seem to be that obnoxious.

When finished, I pulled off the gloves and removed the respirator. Then it hit me. That stuff really does stink.

After a couple of days work, the wings are well on their way. Since Carbon Cubs don’t leave a lot of room for creative engineering and since their construction is well documented in other places, I won’t dwell on the details.

Attachments

• DSC_0017.JPG
    DSC_0017.JPG
    761.8 KB · Views: 326
  • DSC_0050.JPG
    DSC_0050.JPG
    627.2 KB · Views: 361
Unrelated to aircraft building (kinda), I do a lot of aluminum fabrication with my business. A really cheap and good working lube for drilling and tapping ALU is pure bee's wax. Go down to your local farmers market or even a "hippie store". If you cant find it in a half gallon tub then just buy some bee's wax candles. Stuff the end of the candle into a spinning drill bit/ reamer/ tap and then drill away. I find it just about triples the life of mr drill bits.

Wings Since Carbon Cubs don’t leave a lot of room for creative engineering and since their construction is well documented in other places, I won’t dwell on the details.
attachment.php
OK, you have me confused, why are you calling this a Carbon Cub? That looks a lot like aluminum to me.

I look at them as a expensive carbon copy of the super cub!!!

I guess that you are right. I assumed, with all of the talk about making stuff out of carbon fiber for weight purposes, that this plane utilized real carbon fiber. They actually copied the conventional Cub using Carbon prices.

Good looking start to your some assembly required Carbon Cub.

I wonder what the weight savings and cost of carbon ribs and/or spars would be, I'm thinking the new "Platinum Cub" would be really spendy.

Kirby

Carbon or no carbon, it still looks great, simple, light. Ceslaw before the tank with the tank straps, before the aileron, with all the pulleys and brackets, and before the flaps, with there hardware, weigh that for us?

I'm really excited to watch this come together, thinking of doing one myself. Good luck guys and keep the pics coming.

Hagar

Carbon or no carbon, it still looks great, simple, light. Ceslaw before the tank with the tank straps, before the aileron, with all the pulleys and brackets, and before the flaps, with there hardware, weigh that for us?

Will try to do so.

Tempdog: Will try to report on weight w/o ailerons, tanks, when get it assembled.

Skywagon: The only carbon fiber in the wings is in the tips, although the aluminum wing structure is a substantially different than the original design. Lots more carbon fiber to come . . . . .

More Wing Progress

Aft and forward ribs in place. Aft false spars in place.

The drag rods are installed and adjusted, which was an interesting process. A digital fish scale was used to measure a half inch deflection at the midpoint of each drag rod, while at the same time assuring the front spar remained perfectly parallel to a string line connecting the first and last ribs. Ended up with 14 pounds of tension on each section.

Test fitted the aileron. Dimensions came out exactly to spec. A string line between the left and right supports ran nearly dead center through the center support.

Aft false spar is in place.

The wing is essentially done except for the front skins and the carbon fiber tip. We are awaiting a set of blocks shared among CC builders used to tighten down the skins. So we have set the left wing aside and the right wing is now under way.

Attachments

• DSC_0072.JPG
    DSC_0072.JPG
    666 KB · Views: 319
  • DSC_0067.JPG
    DSC_0067.JPG
    518.2 KB · Views: 344
  • DSC_0055.JPG
    DSC_0055.JPG
    471.7 KB · Views: 311
  • DSC_0076.JPG
    DSC_0076.JPG
    642 KB · Views: 329
  • DSC_0102.JPG
    DSC_0102.JPG
    764.5 KB · Views: 317
Compression Tubes

The second wing is underway. A few posts of some details will follow.

The compression tubes need to slide in and out of the fittings and they must seat fully. If they fail to seat properly, the inner surface of the fitting and / or the end of the tube needs to be ‘polished’. A red Scotch Brite pad works well

If there is any doubt about whether a tube is seating fully, measure the depth of the fitting and then place a corresponding mark on the tube. This will provide a visual reference which will confirm a properly seated tube.

DSC_0126.JPG

Once the tubes are all in place and the wing assembly is resting on the saw horses, we slid a center rib in and out adjacent to the compression tubes. It should be snug. Also check the measurements from spar to spar at each compression tube location. They should be exactly the same.

DSC_0129.JPG

After the tubes are in place the fittings are riveted. It may be over kill, but a short piece of masking tape protects the spar from scratches when setting the squeeze riveter in place

DSC_0131.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0126.JPG
    DSC_0126.JPG
    499.1 KB · Views: 241
  • DSC_0129.JPG
    DSC_0129.JPG
    759.1 KB · Views: 273
  • DSC_0131.JPG
    DSC_0131.JPG
    546.8 KB · Views: 287
Last edited: